The Student Room Group

Why are more people wearing glasses than ever?

Scroll to see replies

Several reasons:

1. Designer glasses weren't really something in great demand (or quantity for those who did want them) up until the last six or seven years or so.

2. Many people simply do without glasses, knowing full well that they require them. This is often for cosmetic reasons, or something else just as ridiculous.

3. The propagation of video-games, laptops, and whatever else. People are becoming square-eyed.

4. It's apparently cool to wear glasses with clear plastic instead of prescription lenses. With the wave of vacant personalities and vapidity amongst the younger generation coming full-circle, you tend to have trends like these.

That's my non-researched, yet probably quite accurate answer.
Your eyes naturally deteriorate and settle when your in your early 20s (generally if you're myopic). Perhaps the straining took its toll. Straining doesn't help the cause, it makes the condition worse. Never strain your eyes.

I've noticed since I got glasses my prescription's stayed the same. I'm wearing them all day every day so I'm not straining my eyes any more Like I said I'm the only one in my family who wears glasses so I think I must have ruined my eyes by not getting them tested sooner rather than just being naturally shortsighted.
Reply 122
Original post by Alesha1991
I've noticed since I got glasses my prescription's stayed the same. I'm wearing them all day every day so I'm not straining my eyes any more Like I said I'm the only one in my family who wears glasses so I think I must have ruined my eyes by not getting them tested sooner rather than just being naturally shortsighted.
It is not only about prescription.... how do you see without your glasses in comparison to what was before you started wearing them?
Original post by flown_muse
-11.25 in one eye, -11.00 in the other :frown:

In contact lenses, that should only amount to about a -9.50 ... which, IIRC, is available in soft lenses. Try a more adventurous optometrist or contact lens optician if you really want contacts.
Original post by tamimi
Generally, after +/-8.00, we start recommending corrective surgery to bring it down to something reasonable.

Recommending corrective surgery is a huge step, and not one that I can see myself ever saying. If you think +/-8.00 is unreasonable, then a far more sensible suggestion is splitting it; deal with, say, 4D in contact lenses and 4D in glasses. Or all 8D in contact lenses, if they prefer.
I blame genetics :hmpf:
Reply 126
Original post by TheSownRose
Recommending corrective surgery is a huge step, and not one that I can see myself ever saying. If you think +/-8.00 is unreasonable, then a far more sensible suggestion is splitting it; deal with, say, 4D in contact lenses and 4D in glasses. Or all 8D in contact lenses, if they prefer.

Splitting is actually a very good idea, although getting strong glasses w. ultra thin lenses, or using RGPs seem to be more popular options as far as I'm aware,

I'm not saying +/-8.00 is specifically when people should have corrective surgery, more like, if the prescription is something reasonably above or around 8.00 the patient may like to consider surgery, or in other words, if the prescription is below 8, surgery is not necessary. But obviously still an option for the patient.

In the end of the day it's down to the patient.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Parente
Firstly, I wore an eye patch for a long time when I was little but that didnt help at all. My left eye is very blury compared to my right even without glasses, though I never wear them anyway, I also forgot to say that I nearly died after my vaccine, giving a vaccine to a baby who has no immune system (I wasnt breastfed) is not really a good idea now is it? If you say that vaccines help then why is it that everyone elderly in my family have no allergies what so ever and look as healthy as can be. There are people in my family 90+ years of age and guess what? They have never been sweriously ill nor ever had a vaccine. I think its complete crap that Im forced to have them. Its my life, if I want to 'risk' somehow dying of god knows what the hell they vaccinate against then I take that risk. I used to be the same as everyone else, I used to believe that vaccines do what they are 'supposed' to. Its not until my Dad persuaded me after a very long time that I realise they arent what they are and I will never be having one again and if I do have to have one by law, I will fight against it. They are also banning herbs and home remedies which act as a natural cures to illnesses obviously because they 'challenge' the medecine industry although they say its because the natural cures are 'bad' for your health haha. This is just my opinion though so you can think what you want but my opinion wont change.

It sounds like you don't really understand how a vaccination or the human immune system works, and that you are blindly believing something your dad has told you based only on anecdotal evidence.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 128
Original post by myblueheaven339
It sounds like you don't really understand how a vaccination or the human immune system works, and that you are blindly believing something your dad has told you based only on anecdotal evidence.

No I believe it is the other way round. Everyone seems to believe what they hear without first hand knowledge. You dont understand how many people I have seen die because of vaccinations or how many people I have seen deteriorate because of them. Ther are not getting a needle near me, I choose how I want to live and not them
Original post by Parente
No I believe it is the other way round. Everyone seems to believe what they hear without first hand knowledge. You dont understand how many people I have seen die because of vaccinations or how many people I have seen deteriorate because of them. Ther are not getting a needle near me, I choose how I want to live and not them

I respect your right to make that decision for yourself, but you are not coming across as very informed as to the biology of it all. Anyway, whatever your view I am sorry for what sounds like a terrible loss in your family.

Reply 130
Hipsters! Glasses have become more stylish and convenient than the thick, dorky, and bulky glasses from decades past. Geek culture has become more mainstream and people accept and strive for the intelligent and sophisticated look.
There is nothing I hate more than to see someone wearing glasses with no perscription in them. It's the most poser-ish thing you could possibly do IMO. The trend to do this has resulted in people asking me 'are your glasses real?'....of course they're real...I'm not some sort of hipster-wannabe. Jeez.
Original post by Csel
Hipsters! Glasses have become more stylish and convenient than the thick, dorky, and bulky glasses from decades past. Geek culture has become more mainstream and people accept and strive for the intelligent and sophisticated look.

Why do people hate hipsters so much? :K:
I have to wear glasses because I'm quite badly short-sighted but people keep asking me why I'm wearing them as a fashion accessory. I have to constantly say "No, I actually need them, I'm not that much of a ****"
What!? T - W - A - T is a banned word!?
Original post by closey95
I have to wear glasses because I'm quite badly short-sighted but people keep asking me why I'm wearing them as a fashion accessory. I have to constantly say "No, I actually need them, I'm not that much of a ****"

I'd be really pissed off if someone asked me that.

It's bad enough having eyes crap enough to warrant wearing glasses in the first place (well it is for me anyway)
because it's hipsterr. And ray-bans are the thing.
Original post by katehlouise
I really think it's computers/video games. I think that's what ruined my eyes. I had perfect vision up until about year 10. Now I have to wear glasses constantly and it sucks.

I've been playing video games since I can remember. I've had N64, Game cube, XBOX, PS1/PS2, XBOX 360 and I use my PC everyday... it's just YOUR eyes that are ****ed. I have 20/20 vision!
I didn't need glasses until I was 12 and even then I only wore them for reading the board. I've only needed them all the time for the last four years since I was 16. I was told that your eyes deteriorate and improve during your teenage years and then they settle down to whatever baseline you're going to have for most of your adult life (I don't know how true this is but it came from my optician :p:); some people are lucky enough to never need glasses. Perhaps that is why hardly any children in your junior school classes actually wore glasses compared to the number who needed them in Sixth Form.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IAmTheKing
I'd be really pissed off if someone asked me that.

It's bad enough having eyes crap enough to warrant wearing glasses in the first place (well it is for me anyway)

Exactly! And I can't wear contact lenses either because apparently my eyes are too deep set! It pisses me off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending