Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Norton Rose Deadline?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

As with most firms, it appears as though Norton Rose's deadline is today. However, at the beginning of their application form are some notes stating:

Final year non-law students, final year law students and graduates should apply for a training contract commencing in 2014 by 30 April 2012.
    Penultimate year law students should apply for a training contract commencing in 2014 once they have received their second year results, and before 31 July 2012.

Does anybody know if this is a strict deadline for grads, or can grads still apply until the 31st?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grads had to apply by 30 April 2012 (I applied after an open day) That was the information I received whilst at the firm. I remember being quite shocked when I was told though because their website doesn't make that clear.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Yes, the website doesn't make it clear at all. It's only once actually commencing the application, once registering, that this information is provided. Quite bad on their part!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them that very question and was told that graduates could in fact still apply until the 31st July...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm... I specifically went over and asked the graduate recruitment manager whilst on my open day who said April was the finalist and graduate deadline Maybe they changed their mind!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosey2)
    Hmmmm... I specifically went over and asked the graduate recruitment manager whilst on my open day who said April was the finalist and graduate deadline Maybe they changed their mind!
    Who knows. Not particularly impressed that they have conflicting information on the website and on the form though. Even more unimpressed that they are apparently giving different answers to different people!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azori)
    Who knows. Not particularly impressed that they have conflicting information on the website and on the form though. Even more unimpressed that they are apparently giving different answers to different people!
    I applied in July and I've just graduated with a Law degree. I guess I should be expecting a rejection any moment from now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the firm can't even sort out their deadline information I'm kinda glad I opted against applying for them!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutd2011)
    If the firm can't even sort out their deadline information I'm kinda glad I opted against applying for them!
    No offence, but they probably don't want candidates that don't ask these sorts of questions well in advance anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    No offence, but they probably don't want candidates that don't ask these sorts of questions well in advance anyway.
    It's only on the form itself that it says 30th April. The graduate recruitment website says 31st July. I think it's understandable that one might not have started filling in the form and seen the apparent different deadline until it was quite late on in the process.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azori)
    It's only on the form itself that it says 30th April. The graduate recruitment website says 31st July. I think it's understandable that one might not have started filling in the form and seen the apparent different deadline until it was quite late on in the process.
    Nice to see there are respectable people on this forum!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutd2011)
    Nice to see there are respectable people on this forum!
    Er, very publicly slagging off a law firm's graduate recruitment team is not what I'd call respectable. Do you know how busy they are? Some people think all that HR do is read applications. They have to do that on top of managing interviews, vacation schemes, seat rotations for current trainees, appraisals for current trainees, managing trainee secondments and all the expenses etc involved with that, planning for the autumn milkround and visiting universities for law fairs. They do a lot, give them a break if they missed out one tiny detail which you could very easily have found out and they would have gladly answered if you called them yourself when applications opened eight or so months ago
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Er, very publicly slagging off a law firm's graduate recruitment team is not what I'd call respectable. Do you know how busy they are? Some people think all that HR do is read applications. They have to do that on top of managing interviews, vacation schemes, seat rotations for current trainees, appraisals for current trainees, managing trainee secondments and all the expenses etc involved with that, planning for the autumn milkround and visiting universities for law fairs. They do a lot, give them a break if they missed out one tiny detail which you could very easily have found out and they would have gladly answered if you called them yourself when applications opened eight or so months ago
    Shut up you unhelpful pleb.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I attended a vacation scheme in June at a SC firm, was told they wanted to see me again for another interview (a day later than when they said they would let us know the outcome of our TC applications and I'd seen people online with offers). Waited two weeks with no response. Eventually I chased them up asking when I could expect another interview. One was eventually arranged a week later, three weeks later than when I finished my scheme.

I then didn't receive a confirmation of my interview until three days after they told me when I would receive it. Had my interview, then waited 9 days for them to let me know the outcome. I travelled over ten hours to London, and spent £170 on hotels and train travel. The whole process dragged on for four weeks.

So really mate, people can have a go at HR when they act like that. I did when they attempted to tell me I wasn't 'achievement orientated' enough for a job, when those are their organisational efforts. HR tell us we have to be able to manage and prioritise out workload well, be organised and offer great 'client care' - they should do the same.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.