The Student Room Group

ATTENTION YEAR 11: What does this mean for us?!

I stumbled across this article after hearing someone talking about it on the train, and although it's from the Daily Mail, I can't help but wonder if this is true:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184304/Pupils-sitting-GCSEs-A-levels-miss-marks-exam-boards-fix-grades-match-previous-years.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

There's nothing on the Ofqual website, but what does this mean for us if it is true? Does it mean that grade boundaries will be fixed at last years' boundaries, or will 90/100 = A*, 80/100 = A, or will only a certain percentage of students be awarded A*, A, B etc?

Scroll to see replies

Also, when are the grade boundaries released for AQA, Edexcel and OCR?

I want to gague how badly I'll fail, in order to decide whether I'll go in to collect my results or not :wink:
Reply 2
Edexcel is midnight the day of results day!
Reply 3
I read this earlier on the Independent too. :s-smilie:

Not entirely sure on how to interpret it, but it does sound like they will 'fix' how many people will be allocated each grade - i.e. the number of A*s awarded will not be allowed to go over a certain percentage of the entire cohort. They did this last year for A-level as the article says, which explains why the A* at A-level saw a miniscule change. I think it's a measly attempt to battle this 'grade inflation' that everyone except people taking the actual exams in question thinks is an issue. I think it's totally unfair. :frown:

Will have to see what happens on results day - whether the number of grades awarded is very similar to last year's. Grade boundaries are released the day before results day for most exam boards. :smile:
Reply 4
That's complete bull****. People work really hard to achieve the best marks possible and to think they might get lower grades disgusts me.
Reply 5
Why would they fix the number? Doesn't really make sense to me... x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Now I'm even more worried...
I don't get it either... how can they fix the number of students getting certain grades, and still have grade boundaries?

So, if you need 33/55 to get an A* in Chemistry, what if someone gets a mark of 47/55, but they're not able to achieve an A* because loads of other people got 48/55?

I may phone up tomorrow... it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's particularly unfair to spring it on us two weeks before results day; if they had told us in September, it would make sense as it allows us to work harder.
Original post by ArtisticFlair
I don't get it either... how can they fix the number of students getting certain grades, and still have grade boundaries?

So, if you need 33/55 to get an A* in Chemistry, what if someone gets a mark of 47/55, but they're not able to achieve an A* because loads of other people got 48/55?

I may phone up tomorrow... it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's particularly unfair to spring it on us two weeks before results day; if they had told us in September, it would make sense as it allows us to work harder.

Yeah that's really true. It's such an unfair thing to do! I was thinking exactly the same thing. Fair enough had they told us months ago, but the fact it is so soon to results day, and we've far from completed all of our exams, it isn't right. You took the words right out of my mouth!
Reply 9
I think they take your Year 6 SATS in to account, therefore if you did not do well in your year 6 SATS you're not going to do well in GCSES, thats what I can understand as they are trying to cap the amount of people that pass..
Reply 10
Year 6 SATS? I did crap. Improved much since then. Totally unfair.

EDIT: Then again, it is the Daily Mail. The article doesn't even make sense.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by matty123
Year 6 SATS? I did crap. Improved much since then. Totally unfair.

EDIT: Then again, it is the Daily Mail. The article doesn't even make sense.

Well if it is true I think that's what they're trying as '220,000 pupils battled for just 40,000 university places.' so people that matured and only tried in year 11 it seems it was pointless to do so.
Reply 12
This can't possible be put into effect this year, right? Just over 2 weeks from results day, surely not? :frown::s-smilie:

EDIT: I mean, we have already had many results. yeah, it couldn't possibly work. For example, I have already got 60% of my grade for many subjects. This is much more suited to linear.

And I also bet that Nick Clegg wont allow it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
To, erm, complicate things further, Ofqual released a highly confusing and jargon-filled document 'explaining' this.

It can be found here: http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-05-09-maintaining-standards-in-summer-2012.pdf

And it does mention how they will decide where to apply 'comparable outcomes':

- the cohort for the subject is similar, in terms of ability, to previous years
- the syllabus and the exams and other assessments are fit for purpose
- the purpose, requirements and nature of the qualification is the same
- there has been no substantial improvement (or drop) in teaching and learning at a national level
- previous grade standards were appropriate.

Where this isn’t the case, we won’t always want to aim for comparable outcomes.

I take this to mean they won't always cap the pass rate, only when the above criteria apply.
I am really baffled though. I might go away now. :confused:
How are they taking these SATs into account btw, its like they're saying we're not going to mark your papers, but just give you a grade based on your SATs!
Reply 15
Yeah, it means that you lot might actually have to pull your fingers out and do some work

hehe the day draws closer :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I've looked at that odd report, and gleaned the following...

Science, RS, History, Geography, French and Spanish (for me) will be the same; grade boundaries will be set, and roughly the same number of people who achieved an A* will get an A* this year, and so on. This apparently happened in June 2011.

English and Maths (for me) will be slightly different; grade boundaries will be set, but roughly the same number of people who achieved an A* in the previous specification (the one that ended last year) will get an A* this year, and so on.

Nevertheless, I've emailed Ofqual who I hope will explain in plain English!

I don't think our results will be that different, but I still don't understand how they can set grade boundaries but then cap the number of people achieving certain grades!
Reply 17
Original post by Cephalus
Yeah, it means that you lot might actually have to pull your fingers out and do some work

I worked and revised for my exams so much that I got headaches every day and couldn't sleep- don't you dare try to imply that we don't try hard, If I was being awarded on effort I would get an A* in everything!
Reply 18
Original post by wolf-pack
I worked and revised for my exams so much that I got headaches every day and couldn't sleep- don't you dare try to imply that we don't try hard, If I was being awarded on effort I would get an A* in everything!

Yeah you tell them!! Hahaha x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
' A document from the exams regulator seen by The Independent newspaper says: “If necessary we will require exam boards to change their grade boundaries.... [so that] roughly the same proportion of students will achieve each grade as in the previous year.” '

This just gets more confusing as time goes on! I'm going to bed!

Quick Reply

Latest