The Student Room Group

LPC expiry date

Does there come a point where the LPC qualification is no longer fresh? For example, I'm sure I read somewhere that if it has been five years since you completed your law degree, what you have learnt is now well out of date and you need to do a refresher course.

Does the same apply for the LPC? What's the longest length of time that has passed between completing the LPC and starting a training contract?
Original post by advent2
Does there come a point where the LPC qualification is no longer fresh? For example, I'm sure I read somewhere that if it has been five years since you completed your law degree, what you have learnt is now well out of date and you need to do a refresher course.

Does the same apply for the LPC? What's the longest length of time that has passed between completing the LPC and starting a training contract?

It is not your LPC which becomes stale but rather your certificate of enrollment. Your certificate of enrollment is valid for the calendar year of your application plus 4 years afterwards. Therefore if you get a certificate of enrollment in August 2012, prior to starting the LPC in September 2012, you must start your TC by 31st December 2016. The SRA will gant further certificates of enrollment but need to be satisfied of your suitability which includes that your legal knowledge is up to date.
The LPC does not expire, but your law degree is considered 'stale' after 7 years so you need to start the LPC within those 7 years, otherwise you have to take the GDL.

If you have already done the LPC then you don't have to worry, although the longer it takes the harder it will be to secure a TC unless you've been working in law in the meanwhile and of course the SRA could change these rules in future.
Reply 3
Does a masters affect the date at which your LL.B becomes stale?

I finished my LL.B in summer '10, I then went straight into an LL.M which I finished winter '11. I am now doing the Chartered Accountancy exams (ACA) which I will finish in 2014/15. But I would like to qualify as a lawyer after this, will my ACA or LL.M extend the "sell by date" of my Law degree?
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
Does a masters affect the date at which your LL.B becomes stale?

I finished my LL.B in summer '10, I then went straight into an LL.M which I finished winter '11. I am now doing the Chartered Accountancy exams (ACA) which I will finish in 2014/15. But I would like to qualify as a lawyer after this, will my ACA or LL.M extend the "sell by date" of my Law degree?

I doubt it would make any difference, but if you give the SRA a call they will be able to confirm either way.
Reply 5
Original post by Bambilicious
I doubt it would make any difference, but if you give the SRA a call they will be able to confirm either way.

Might just have to go straight into the LPC after ACA, would like to have a bit of time off though.
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
It is not your LPC which becomes stale but rather your certificate of enrollment. Your certificate of enrollment is valid for the calendar year of your application plus 4 years afterwards. Therefore if you get a certificate of enrollment in August 2012, prior to starting the LPC in September 2012, you must start your TC by 31st December 2016. The SRA will gant further certificates of enrollment but need to be satisfied of your suitability which includes that your legal knowledge is up to date.

Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending