Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a sport?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: which of these is NOT a sport
    Fishing
    53.85%
    Darts
    41.03%
    Snooker/pool
    35.90%
    WWE/WWF
    62.82%
    Motorsport
    15.38%
    Chess
    73.08%
    Archery
    19.23%
    Shooting
    24.36%
    10 pin bowling
    35.90%
    Boules
    34.62%
    Dance
    48.72%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thought i would put this up, a debate ive had and overheard many time with different sport. so, on the poll above, vote what you think is not a sport. if iv missed any, mention it below and ill add it to the poll
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dance and WWE/WWF are not sports for me since I see them as being more artistic/entertaining than competitive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is snooker/pool not a sport!!!! Who picked that!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say dance was a sport on its own. However, if it was adapted slightly, such as rhythmic gymnastics, then it would probably qualify.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...mo...)
    How is snooker/pool not a sport!!!! Who picked that!
    (Original post by Wikipedia)
    Sport (or, in the United States, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants
    Snooker is a game.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Motorsport is the only sport there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    remarkably, 9 of the voters think chess IS a sport.... would love to know why, anyone who didnt vote it!
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fishing - Fishing is a sport, but the act of fishing is not.
    Darts - Game
    Snooker/pool - Game
    WWE/WWF - Energetic acting
    Motorsport - Sport
    Chess - Game
    Archery -
    Shooting - Hard to classify these two (archery + shooting). No physical fitness needed, but has a lot of skill but isn't really a game...
    10 pin bowling - Games
    Boules - Game
    Dance - Expression as opposed to sport
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't involve significant physical activity/ exertion it is not a sport.
    Most of these are not sports. They are games.
    That doesn't mean they are easier/harder than sports. Just that they are different.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Archery -
    Shooting - Hard to classify these two (archery + shooting). No physical fitness needed, but has a lot of skill but isn't really a game...
    Define physical fitness. Would you be surprised if archery required greater physical exertion than showjumping?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    WWE is staged, it's just for entertainment. Surely even the fans know that.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    WWE is staged, it's just for entertainment. Surely even the fans know that.
    WHAT!?!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just kidding, its as much of a sport as acting... because that is what it is.
    Motor sport has to be a sport because it has the word sport in its name.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In this list WWE and Fishing is not the sports because WWE is screen play and fishing is not a physical or mental exercise.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sport (or, in the United States, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals.

Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.

Sports are usually governed by a set of rules or customs, which serve to ensure fair competition, and allow consistent adjudication of the winner.
    I think the key points are: competitive, physical athleticism or dexterity, consistent adjudication.

I would also personally add the further criteria of objective adjudication, otherwise all sorts of performance arts can be considered sports, for example battle of the bands, gurning competitions, miss world etc.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to know who voted for darts but not shooting or archery, seeing as they're basically exactly the same damn thing, just one you get a machine to do some of the work load for you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I think the key points are: competitive, physical athleticism or dexterity, consistent adjudication.

I would also personally add the further criteria of objective adjudication, otherwise all sorts of performance arts can be considered sports, for example battle of the bands, gurning competitions, miss world etc.
    To what extent are events like diving/synchronised swimming/gymnastics objectively adjudicated? Is it as simple as a tick box list of things they do or is there a subjective element as well such as style/aesthetics that are pleasing to the judges eye?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    To what extent are events like diving/synchronised swimming/gymnastics objectively adjudicated? Is it as simple as a tick box list of things they do or is there a subjective element as well such as style/aesthetics that are pleasing to the judges eye?
    Well thats why - personally - I don't really think they should be considered as sports until they can come up with an objective and transparent means of scoring.

Style and aesthetics has no place in deciding the winner of a sporting event.

Same argument applies to boxing. In the event of the bout going the full allocation, a fencing style scoring system should be used.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    If it doesn't involve significant physical activity/ exertion it is not a sport.
    Most of these are not sports. They are games.
    That doesn't mean they are easier/harder than sports. Just that they are different.

What about significant mental activity/exertion in the case of chess? Could that not make it a sport?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    What about significant mental activity/exertion in the case of chess? Could that not make it a sport?
    Definition of 'Game':
    Noun:
    A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Definition of 'Sport':
    Noun:
    An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Using that, we can class chess as a game because it is decided by skill and is played competitively. It is not a sport because it doesn't require physical exertion.
    I don' think mental exertion is the same as physical exertion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw the powerwalking on the olympics recently and honestly I was thinking who would watch this? If you wanted to watch a race surely you'd be more inclined to watch running. My thoughts were also confirmed when I mentioned it to my mates. I suppose it is a sport as it is a competition and it does use some form of physical fitness though but I just don't understand why it's a sport you'd want to watch or follow.

I suppose from that list I'd go with:

Fishing: It's more of a recriational hobby really as you could set your equiptment up and have a snooze whilst waiting for a catch. An activity where you can have a snooze whilst doing it doesn't really count as a sport to me.
    Chess: Well to me chess is more of a board game.

I think most of the others do have some characteristics of sport in them, even the wrestling one, although it isn't really a true competition it is much more of a workout than snooker or pool, which most people consider a true sport, most wrestlers need to be in good fitness and work out pretty much every day, the better guys can go for a good 20-30 minutes in the ring and to do that you have to have pretty good fitness levels. Nowadays they call it sports entertainment though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.