Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ireland

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to visit Ireland for the first time ever in a couple of months, and I pretty much know nothing about it! So I was wondering if I would be able to get opinions on where is good to go, what is good to see etc.. I'm generally interested in countryside/views for the photography aspect and then the cultural side, so a mix of country and city would be good! Interested to hear your opinions, thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For culture; Galway City. It feels more like a big town than a city and I prefer it to Dublin by far, and I think most others would agree.

For countryside and scenery I am biased towards Donegal! But really there are points of interest and great scenery all over Ireland
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    I'm looking to visit Ireland for the first time ever in a couple of months, and I pretty much know nothing about it! So I was wondering if I would be able to get opinions on where is good to go, what is good to see etc.. I'm generally interested in countryside/views for the photography aspect and then the cultural side, so a mix of country and city would be good! Interested to hear your opinions, thanks
    Countryside? Get out of Dublin. The further west you go, the more rural it will tend to be, generally you have plenty of countryside views to choose from. South west and north west are particularly spectacular.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarky-x)
    For culture; Galway City. It feels more like a big town than a city and I prefer it to Dublin by far, and I think most others would agree.

For countryside and scenery I am biased towards Donegal! But really there are points of interest and great scenery all over Ireland
    Agree with everything you've said Cork is very pretty too, and has some tame wildlife like seals, herons and a dolphin.. :cool:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies! I had looked to Dublin as a starting point but Donegal and Galway look rather lovely too! I was hoping to travel round a bit while there so maybe a journey from east to west, or maybe up round from Dublin to the north and back to Galway? I'll agree with marcusfox that the north west looks amazing!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies! I had looked to Dublin as a starting point but Donegal and Galway look rather lovely too! I was hoping to travel round a bit while there so maybe a journey from east to west, or maybe up round from Dublin to the north and back to Galway? I'll agree with marcusfox that the north west looks amazing!
    If you are heading to the north west you might as well go to Derry City while you are there if you are wanting to get some culture.

Everyone here is suggesting the west coast and completely overlooking the south east such as the Wicklow mountains National Park, probably one of the best things on the island.

Check out Co. Kerry also, probably the nicest county on the island in my opinion.

I suggest you don't spend more than one day/night in Dublin as it is so expensive and the sights can be done in a day easy. If you want to see a city afterwards then I suggest Derry if you are going to Donegal/Northwest or if you are going south to say Wicklow round to Kerry then Cork city
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    If you are heading to the north west you might as well go to Derry City while you are there if you are wanting to get some culture.

Everyone here is suggesting the west coast and completely overlooking the south east such as the Wicklow mountains National Park, probably one of the best things on the island.

Check out Co. Kerry also, probably the nicest county on the island in my opinion.

I suggest you don't spend more than one day/night in Dublin as it is so expensive and the sights can be done in a day easy. If you want to see a city afterwards then I suggest Derry if you are going to Donegal/Northwest or if you are going south to say Wicklow round to Kerry then Cork city
    Thanks! Wicklow National Park does look pretty amazing!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm noticing that the north is hardly being mentioned here! Co Antrim is great! We've got the glens of Antrim which are beautiful, the giants causeway which is essentially the ninth wonder of the world, and of course Belfast small but great!

Of course I would also suggest Dublin and the west coast.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieCruel)
    I'm noticing that the north is hardly being mentioned here! Co Antrim is great! We've got the glens of Antrim which are beautiful, the giants causeway which is essentially the ninth wonder of the world, and of course Belfast small but great!

Idid suggest Derry tbf...but I cant believe I let the causeway slip my mind
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieCruel)

Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Donegal, Kerry, Cork, Antrim
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilahnurave)
    Agree with everything you've said Cork is very pretty too, and has some tame wildlife like seals, herons and a dolphin.. :cool:

(Original post by Fusion)
    Donegal, Kerry, Cork, Antrim
    I'd love to visit Cork, don't think I'll get the chance on my next trip over but hopefully the one after that! What would you say are the must sees?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Killarney and the Ring of Kerry is stunning.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarky-x)
    I'd love to visit Cork, don't think I'll get the chance on my next trip over but hopefully the one after that! What would you say are the must sees?
    Kinsale
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Start in Dublin for a day or two. It's right on the coast and there are some stunning views. There is a train line called the DART which runs only along the coast and serves the towns there. Many of them are picturesque seaside towns themselves. The views off the DART are stunning. Could just get a day ticket, stop in Howth and Malahide in the North and continue down to Killiney and Dun Laoghaire in the South. (It's roughly divided into Northside and Southside..the country itself, the city and the DART line).

West Cork and Kerry are the most beautiful parts of Ireland, but they would be quite tough to travel around conveniently without your own car. Check it out and see if it's feasible for you though. Goleen, Schull and Crookhaven are three lovely towns in West Cork and have unbelievable scenery surrounding them, and have an amazing beach called Barleycove and Mizen Head, the rugged most southerly part of Ireland. Gorgeous walks around there like Three Castle Head. But, tough without a car.

Galway is probably easier to get around. The city itself is more like a big town. Parts of it are quite old, and it is BURSTING with culture. You must get to The King's Head pub! Real studenty atmosphere around the place, it's really nice. Outside of the city are beautiful landscapes, well worth travelling around the county. But be warned, a good chunk of Galway is an Irish-speaking district, called a Gaeltacht. (gwale-tockt) The locals will have English and will speak it to you, but roadsigns etc. will be in Irish only. Carraroe for instance will be down as An Cheathrú Rua. So be careful with that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 13, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.