The Student Room Group

Cameron: Schools should increase focus on sport...

... while selling school playing fields and cutting sports funding.

Makes sense, Call Me Dave :rolleyes:

source

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Schools should increase focus on physical exercise. Untill we change our attitude towards physical activity, sport will remain a spectator phenomenon in this country.
my school had huge sports grounds... yet PE lessons were an hour a week, ridiculous. they should be at least 90 minutes every day
Reply 3
Original post by Martyn*
Schools should increase focus on physical exercise. Untill we change our attitude towards physical activity, sport will remain a spectator phenomenon in this country.

Maybe so, but selling sport fields and cutting funding for sports won't help much :wink:

TBH I don't think sports time needs increasing that much, hiding in the library once a week was enough exercise for me :tongue:
Reply 4
They should all have to have swimming, because i was good at it, and because rather than buying the facilities they can use the old small pools many of which are crumbling which is a shame.
If anything, more diversification is needed. There's no point in increasing the amount of time dedicated to playing common sports like football or hockey; somebody who has an affinity with these things will pursue them in their own time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Shouldn't he be the one implementing schemes as opposed to just suggesting them? You know, actually funding his idea instead of just talking about it? No? Nevermind...
Reply 7
What utter ****.
Schools can't do anything due to his lovely budget cuts which means they struggle to employ enough staff, let alone buy expensive sport equipment.

EDIT: So someone is in denial about education cutbacks? :facepalm2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
My school gets £7,000 a year per pupil, instead of wasting their money on smart boards they could buy other things, easily. After all, this is more money than fees for the local private school.

However, he should stop forcing sport on everyone. Some people are good at Maths, some good at music, some are good at sport. We should all aim to be fit but we don't all need to do sport. However, I'd like to see more unusual sports like sailing, rowing and fencing tried out with pupils to interest them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by whyumadtho
If anything, more diversification is needed. There's no point in increasing the amount of time dedicated to playing common sports like football or hockey; somebody who has an affinity with these things will pursue it in their own time.

That'd mean more teachers tho.. I bet theres not many people use sports centers during working hours. If schools booked a couple of hours a week they'd then have the staff, could sell their sports stuff, sack the foul mouthed football moron, buy a bus and have enough leftover for other stuff.
Reply 10
And when do we fit this in? School curriculums are already being stuffed full of "we need to put more focus on X"

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
Original post by A.J10
And when do we fit this in? School curriculums are already being stuffed full of "we need to put more focus on X"

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i

Do we still really need I.T.? Who cant use a computer these days?
At my school we have 36 clubs running every week! Teachers are devoted and give up their time after school. I'd say about 20 of these clubs are for a specific sport. We also have 2 hours of PE per week, although it's hell.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
I'm all for encouraging sport. However, there needs to be some changes. It's cruel to expect someone that doesn't like sport (as so many school kids don't) to be forced into hours of Rugby a day in freezing temperatures, for example. Currently, the un-sporty ones don't make much of a protest as P.E is only an hour or two per week; increase this time and you increase their misery. Whether they like exercise or not it could be seen as a necessary evil, but it seems unrealistic and primitive to force students into sports they desperately hate - the benefit is health, not skill at a particular sport. Therefore, movements should be made to offer more sports and an alternative in conjunction with the main. For example, on a day which would normally be football day, yoga or aerobics should be offered. While this increased choice would increase spending etc. I think it's a vital condition of increasing sporting focus.

A second effect of this might be a slight financial balance as health increases and therefore long-term NHS spending decreases.

Of course, one could argue that the extra (tax) money needed for this could be better directed. Health is important, but is it more important than policing, for example?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sclez1
I'm all for encouraging sport. However, there needs to be some changes. It's cruel to expect someone that doesn't like sport (as so many school kids don't) to be forced into hours of Rugby a day in freezing temperatures, for example. Currently, the un-sporty ones don't make much of a protest as P.E is only an hour or two per week; increase this time and you increase their misery. Whether they like exercise or not it could be seen as a necessary evil, but it seems unrealistic and primitive to force students into sports they desperately hate - the benefit is health, not skill at a particular sport. Therefore, movements should be made to offer more sports and an alternative in conjunction with the main. For example, on a day which would normally be football day, yoga or aerobics should be offered. While this increased choice would increase spending etc. I think it's a vital condition of increasing sporting focus.

A second effect of this might be a slight financial balance as health increases and therefore long-term NHS spending decreases.

Of course, one could argue that the extra (tax) money needed for this could be better directed. Health is important, but is it more important than policing, for example?

It seems sensible to let people practice a sport they wanna do and are best at. I think what they should do is get all the schools having pe at the same time at the sports center. That way you have lots of staff and a big enough group doing each sport to make it practical. It'd be better and cheaper. More for less. Right up camerons street
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree with this, my school didn't give a damn about sports. My year eleven had myself and three others that were ranked in the top 50 U17 in London over 400m that year, but didn't send us to a single borough meet because, well, they didn't bother giving us a reason.
Reply 16
Original post by Skip_Snip
... while selling school playing fields and cutting sports funding.

Makes sense, Call Me Dave :rolleyes:

source

My sister's a primary school teacher and at the moment the curriculum says schools have to do a minimum of 2 hours of P.E per week and the coalition are scrapping that so they can do less.

This was a while ago but only made the press thanks to the Olympics and Dave's desperate attempt to appear at every event to get back on our screens.
About the selling of school fields: 'The DfE later added that of the 21 approved for disposal, 14 were of schools that had closed, four were sites that became surplus when existing schools amalgamated, one was surplus marginal grassland on the school site and the proceeds were invested in the school library and better sports changing facilities.

The sports facilities on two more of the playing fields were improved by developers and then leased back for use by the schools and local communities.'

Also, I personally am the type who would have hated extra time spent doing sports in PE lessons back at school. Our PE lessons weren't that bad to be honest, but I would have preferred to be learning Maths or something.
Original post by alittlepixiedust-
About the selling of school fields: 'The DfE later added that of the 21 approved for disposal, 14 were of schools that had closed, four were sites that became surplus when existing schools amalgamated, one was surplus marginal grassland on the school site and the proceeds were invested in the school library and better sports changing facilities.

The sports facilities on two more of the playing fields were improved by developers and then leased back for use by the schools and local communities.'

Also, I personally am the type who would have hated extra time spent doing sports in PE lessons back at school. Our PE lessons weren't that bad to be honest, but I would have preferred to be learning Maths or something.

weirdo
Original post by green.tea
weirdo

Oops, should've thought about how sad I'd sound just then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending