The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So annoying! I was also looking forward to that match...
Reply 4541
Murray won quite a bit at the end of the season last year...3 tournaments on the trot or so? Does anyone remember approximately how many ranking points they were worth? My gut feeling is not huge amounts, but they made up for it with silly trophies?
Don't know if anyone's noticed but Nadal has just withdrawn from Cincinnati. He's not looking good for the US open.
Original post by Rachael.
Rafa's pulled out of Cincinnati :frown: Starting to look more and more likely that he'll pull out of the US Open aswell.

Man I miss Rafa, the tour isn't the same without him IMO :sigh:

Certainly isn't - the tennis at the Olympics was great but, it's just not the same without Rafa there.

Really not looking good long term for Rafa, almost certain that he'll be no.4 in the next couple of months and maybe even lower by the end of the year.
I doubt he'll get lower than 4 unless Ferrer or Tsonga has a blinder of an ending to the season.
Original post by Sirocco11
Certainly isn't - the tennis at the Olympics was great but, it's just not the same without Rafa there.

Really not looking good long term for Rafa, almost certain that he'll be no.4 in the next couple of months and maybe even lower by the end of the year.

How on earth would he fall as far as no.5 by the end of the year? 3,500 points between him and the current no.5 is gigantic. Probably no.4, sure, but no.5?
Original post by TopHat
How on earth would he fall as far as no.5 by the end of the year? 3,500 points between him and the current no.5 is gigantic. Probably no.4, sure, but no.5?

Perhaps that was an overstatement, I hadn't really looked at the gap between Ferrer and Murray currently. But he has a lot of points to defend at the US, and points here and there at some of the Masters events which will mean if he does drop to no.4 that he might also be dropping off the top 3 if he doesn't get some match wins under his belt.
Reply 4547
Hope Rafa doesn't pull out the US Open. Although not his best surface, it just doesn't feel right to not have the top 4 in the semis.
Original post by .eXe
Hope Rafa doesn't pull out the US Open. Although not his best surface, it just doesn't feel right to not have the top 4 in the semis.

The top 4 don't have a god given right to be in the semis- it's the players that perform best in the tournament that deserve to be there. At the moment it looks like Del Potro's got a decent shot but we'll see where everyone is next week in Cincy.
Reply 4549
Original post by kbountra
The top 4 don't have a god given right to be in the semis- it's the players that perform best in the tournament that deserve to be there. At the moment it looks like Del Potro's got a decent shot but we'll see where everyone is next week in Cincy.

True but Federer vs Djokovic and Murray vs Nadal are always the most entertaining semi matchups to watch. Although I would like to see Del Potro to do well too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Murray vs Nadal is never a good semi match up. Murray's playstyle just does not gel well against Nadal, it's a dull match-up. Federer-Murray and Djokovic-Nadal is always much more interesting.
Original post by sc0307
True but Federer vs Djokovic and Murray vs Nadal are always the most entertaining semi matchups to watch. Although I would like to see Del Potro to do well too.

Well you aren't going to be seeing those semis for a while even if Nadal does get better!
Reply 4552
Original post by TopHat
Murray vs Nadal is never a good semi match up. Murray's playstyle just does not gel well against Nadal, it's a dull match-up. Federer-Murray and Djokovic-Nadal is always much more interesting.

Federer vs Nadal and Djokovic vs Murray are much better matchups. I find Federer - Murray a tad boring compared to the other 2.

Reply 4553
Original post by Meteorshower
Well you aren't going to be seeing those semis for a while even if Nadal does get better!

Yeah...a real big shame. Del Potro will be a good replacement for the time being.

We are definitely lucky that even without one of the big names mens tennis is still super exciting.
Original post by sc0307

I disagree. I'd say the best semi-final in the last five or so years was Nadal vs. Verdasco at the Australian Open in 2009.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I disagree. I'd say the best semi-final in the last five or so years was Nadal vs. Verdasco at the Australian Open in 2009.

Either that or Murray-Djokovic 2012 Australian Open for me.

Pity Verdasco hasn't really played that well since.
Reply 4557
How is Federer still #1? Not that I'm complaining since he's my favourite player but going into Olympics he had a 75 point lead on Djoko.

During Olympics Fed got 450 points for being runner up, Djoko got even fewer points. After Olympics, Fed didn't play Toronto, while Djokovic won it and got 1000 points, and yet he's still behind Fed?

Am I getting something wrong? How did Federer get such a massive lead on Djoko when before the Olympics he had only a 75 point lead?
Original post by .eXe
How is Federer still #1? Not that I'm complaining since he's my favourite player but going into Olympics he had a 75 point lead on Djoko.

During Olympics Fed got 450 points for being runner up, Djoko got even fewer points. After Olympics, Fed didn't play Toronto, while Djokovic won it and got 1000 points, and yet he's still behind Fed?

Am I getting something wrong? How did Federer get such a massive lead on Djoko when before the Olympics he had only a 75 point lead?

Djokovic won the Rogers Cup last year so he only retains those 1000 points. He doesn't, and in fact couldn't, gain points at that tournament because he won it last year.
murray v del potro final for us open anyone?

Latest