The Student Room Group

Declined an offer- can I ring up on the 16th and get in?

A specific question, but I would really appreciate some help with this.
I was offered a place on the economics course at UCL but did not accept them as my firm or insurance choice. Results day is nearing and I’m worried I might miss my offer at my firm choice, could I ring UCL on the day if I don’t achieve my grades and beg for a place? And what would I say!?

UCL have said they won't be entering clearing, so you won't be able to, no.
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
UCL have said they won't be entering clearing, so you won't be able to, no.

so would it not even be worth a call?
Original post by n-teacher room

You can try, but I don't think it will get anywhere.

You could try, but it would be highly unlikely that you'd get place IMO. UCL is competitive university and you turned down your offer - they won't think highly of you for that. Also there's the fact that as soon as you turned down you offer they probably offered it to someone else. Then, even if someone else doesn't get the grades we go back to the first point that they won't think highly of you for rejecting your choice - it might come across as lacking dedication to their course.
Reply 5

What's the matter with you? This is probably one of the biggest moments of your life.

Of course you have to call them - even if they say no, continue to argue your case. Persuade them. Beg if you have to. You'd never forgive yourself if you found out in the future that they'd accepted applicants who didn't meet their offer, or similar people in your situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jack West
What's the matter with you? This is probably one of the biggest moments of your life.

Of course you have to call them - even if they say no, continue to argue your case. Persuade them. Beg if you have to. You'd never forgive yourself if you found out in the future that they'd accepted applicants who didn't meet their offer, or similar people in your situation.

Except he did meet their offer.... And then rejected it. Did you read the OP? As I said, they could try to call up and ask if there are any places - but UCL is always over subscribed so it's highly unlikely. And even if they had a place, there's the fact they declines it shows a serious problem with dedication to their course. Go for it OP if you want, but don't pin your hopes up in my advice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by wulfyrokujuyon_64
Except he did meet their offer.... And then rejected it. Did you read the OP? As I said, they could try to call up and ask if there are any places - but UCL is always over subscribed so it's highly unlikely. And even if they had a place, there's the fact they declines it shows a serious problem with dedication to their course. Go for it OP if you want, but don't pin your hopes up in my advice :smile:

I'm of the same mind - it's not very likely. But that doesn't mean he should just give up on it. I mean, what's a phone call going to take, 10 minutes? Probably 20 minutes if there's begging and persuasion involved, but I think he should try, at the very least.
God my grammar's appalling tonight. Anyway, if you really want to go to UCL consider applying again next year when you have your grades :smile: Just consider if you're spending time trying to get into UCL and you don't get the grades you're wasting time getting into universities you have a chance with. Also forgot to mention - if you want to get a place at UCL and firmed somewhere else, you'll have to ask your firmed choice to release you for another choice. Though I guess it wouldn't apply in your case since you think you won't get the grades?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by wulfyrokujuyon_64
God my grammar's appalling tonight. Anyway, if you really want to go to UCL consider applying again next year when you have your grades :smile: Just consider if you're spending time trying to get into UCL and you don't get the grades you're wasting time getting into universities you have a chance with. Also forgot to mention - if you want to get a place at UCL and firmed somewhere else, you'll have to ask your firmed choice to release you for another choice. Though I guess it wouldn't apply in your case since you think you won't get the grades?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. My offer at my firm is A*AA, my offer from UCL is the same. If I miss my grades marginally (e.g 2 ums) and my firm will not take me, can I ring UCL and see if they will, since they liked my application in the first place? I know it sounds impossible, but could it work? And what would I say to them? How would I beg/persuade them?

Thanks again
Original post by Jack West
I'm of the same mind - it's not very likely. But that doesn't mean he should just give up on it. I mean, what's a phone call going to take, 10 minutes? Probably 20 minutes if there's begging and persuasion involved, but I think he should try, at the very least.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. My offer at my firm is A*AA, my offer from UCL is the same. If I miss my grades marginally (e.g 2 ums) and my firm will not take me, can I ring UCL and see if they will, since they liked my application in the first place? I know it sounds impossible, but could it work? And what would I say to them? How would I beg/persuade them?

Thanks again
Reply 11

Thanks again

You'll only know for sure if you try. I don't think many people have been in this situation before, it's rather unique.

First of all - ascertain if there are any places left for whatever course(s) you are interested in. If there aren't any left, there isn't much hope, but if there are, then explain why you should be given the chance to study there. Bring up every beneficial point you can think of - I'd suggest making a list beforehand so you don't stutter and fumble your last chance.

But of course, this is all hypothetical, and ideally you would be able to get into your firm with minimal hassle.

Quick Reply

Latest