The Student Room Group

English Literature A2 coursework help!

For our AQA English Lit coursework in A2 we have to do two pieces. They are both for 'independent and further reading'. The first piece is on a specific idea eg marxism or feminism and the second is a comparative on whatever you want to do.

I have no clue what to do for either although I know for the first piece I'd like to focus on marxism. Does anyone have any suggestions of books to read and what ones would be good for a comparison?
Original post by aubin
For our AQA English Lit coursework in A2 we have to do two pieces. They are both for 'independent and further reading'. The first piece is on a specific idea eg marxism or feminism and the second is a comparative on whatever you want to do.

I have no clue what to do for either although I know for the first piece I'd like to focus on marxism. Does anyone have any suggestions of books to read and what ones would be good for a comparison?

Hey. 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood is a really good novel which addresses feminist issues. I know you said you would like to focus on Marxism, so my suggestion is probably not of much help lol :colondollar: But if you did pick feminism to write about, there would be a lot to address in your coursework and would provide an interesting read.

For the second piece, it depends what you are interested in. If it was me, I would probably look at novels which present different societies and look at novels such as 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini (an amazing read, I would really recommend it if you haven't read it), and compare the society in this novel to perhaps a more liberal, western society.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your help! I've read the A thousand splendid suns and thinking about it, that would be a really good one to focus on. Will definitely look into the Handmaid's tale as well as I've been recommended it by lots of people. :smile:
Original post by aubin
Thanks so much for your help! I've read the A thousand splendid suns and thinking about it, that would be a really good one to focus on. Will definitely look into the Handmaid's tale as well as I've been recommended it by lots of people. :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
I studied them both for coursework, so if you do decide to use the, let me know if you need any extra help or notes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending