The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooambitious
Yes...

Ok, so I'm in the scientific branch of the French Baccalaureate, also known as "S". This year, in the epreuves anticipées, I got:
-15/20 in my French oral examination
-16/20 in the French written examination
-18/20 in the History and Geography examination
-19/20 in the Travaux Personnels Encadrés (TPE, which is basically a personal project)

When taking into account the different coefficients and the way the scores are added up, this gives me an average of 17.11/20. I'm applying to Cambridge for the law course at either Trinity or King's (still not sure).

What do you guys make of that?
Original post by Faisalobeidat
Ok, so I'm in the scientific branch of the French Baccalaureate, also known as "S". This year, in the epreuves anticipées, I got:
-15/20 in my French oral examination
-16/20 in the French written examination
-18/20 in the History and Geography examination
-19/20 in the Travaux Personnels Encadrés (TPE, which is basically a personal project)

When taking into account the different coefficients and the way the scores are added up, this gives me an average of 17.11/20. I'm applying to Cambridge for the law course at either Trinity or King's (still not sure).

What do you guys make of that?

That exceeds the requirements (16 or 17) so its good enough, what I can't tell you is whether other French applicants will have done better than this. The only thing that may hinder you is your 15 in French oral, bit your TPE, history and geography scores are impressive :smile:, your grades are enough do a strong application but of course there are other (more important) factors
Original post by tooambitious
That exceeds the requirements (16 or 17) so its good enough, what I can't tell you is whether other French applicants will have done better than this. The only thing that may hinder you is your 15 in French oral, bit your TPE, history and geography scores are impressive :smile:, your grades are enough do a strong application but of course there are other (more important) factors

What do you consider to be more important? Just wondering, I know grades are not the most important elements.
Original post by Faisalobeidat
What do you consider to be more important? Just wondering, I know grades are not the most important elements.

The cbridge law test and the interview
I need to know (and I know it's impossible to say for definite) what my chances are? I know it's competitive etc, but is it worth taking out a year? I don't want to waste my time if I don't stand a chance - but I'd hate to regret not trying. Is there anything I can do to prepare? Books to read, start STEP prep, applying for mathematical challenges of any kind? What can I do to increase my chances?
Original post by ukdragon37
Don't worry, many people are in much worse positions than you are. :smile:
I mean to present you as a candidate - i.e. to let you sit the exams under their SQA exam centre number either with or without teaching for the subject (some colleges do let people just sit the exams after they've been self-learning)

Well I'll be learning the 3 AH's at the college, and I'll sit the exams there I'd imagine - not sure if they'll let me sit the AH Applied Maths exam there though.

It's not really a true transfer (Cambridge doesn't do true transfers) as everybody starts from the beginning of the course regardless of where you were at in your previous university. See the last question in the "applying" section of this FAQ. So essentially you would just be reapplying (which of course carries a risk of rejection) and that's why you still need to meet the minimum requirements in AHs. However be careful that in such a case you may end up needing a reference from someone in your original university, who may not write most favourably if they know you want to leave.

I'd actually be happier with going straight back to first year to be honest, so that's a bonus. Ah, that makes sense. How important are references? Could my college write a suitable reference? I'm not sure if anyone's ever applied to Cambridge from there, but I'll be sure to ask.

As I said previously to another person, you should judge the balance between taking up the course at Glasgow and gaining a degree there vs. declining the offer and go to college for a chance at getting into Cambridge. It sounds like you want that chance regardless and you would regret it if you don't. So if you don't mind the worst possible outcome (getting rejected, going to Glasgow a year late, maybe getting rejected again if you want to reapply while at Glasgow) then by all means go for it.

Whatever happens don't be upset about it. Cambridge isn't everything and you could very well still do a postgrad there after your first degree. :smile:

That's exactly it, I do want that chance and I think I'd never let it go. If I know that I have a legitimate chance, an actual shot at it, then I'd be happy to go to college to try.
Any advice is appreciated
Original post by I am Ace
I need to know (and I know it's impossible to say for definite) what my chances are? I know it's competitive etc, but is it worth taking out a year? I don't want to waste my time if I don't stand a chance - but I'd hate to regret not trying. Is there anything I can do to prepare? Books to read, start STEP prep, applying for mathematical challenges of any kind? What can I do to increase my chances?

All I can say is you have a chance. Admittedly normal applicants will have 5 As at Higher/AS-levels by this point and good SGs/GCSEs so your application would look below average. However if your grades were the result of disruption due to health reasons then you should attach an Extenuating Circumstances Form (previously known as Cambridge Special Access Scheme). To even out the playing field you would need to have gained the As in AH by the time you apply, which is why I suggested it earlier. However that doesn't mean you definitely won't get an offer from the grades you have now. I would say though that your current grades are such that there does exist a sizeable risk of you being deselected (i.e. rejected without interview) if you apply with them now, although having a valid Extenuating Circumstances Form should lessen that risk significantly.

The reason I don't know how good your chance is is because your application hinges crucially on the interview (and maybe tests at interview). That could really make or break an application and I don't know how you would perform at the time. Hence all I can conclude is that the chance exists.

For PhysNatSci you don't need STEP. Unfortunately you are too late for entering maths challenges but you can try their questions if you wish. Popular science books that go into some technical detail I think are enough for an applicant to read. The Cambridge interview for PhysNatSci tend to ask questions testing your skills and creativity in school-level mathematics and physics (if you stated you would like to answer physics questions, as opposed to say chemistry), so extra-curricular books are necessary only to show you have passion for the subject and you can read for yourself beyond what is taught. Incidentally, it is essential for you to keep your maths and physics knowledge fresh if you decide to apply, but the AH courses should do that anyway.

Original post by I am Ace
I'd actually be happier with going straight back to first year to be honest, so that's a bonus. Ah, that makes sense. How important are references? Could my college write a suitable reference? I'm not sure if anyone's ever applied to Cambridge from there, but I'll be sure to ask.

Yes your college could write a suitable reference. My reference was from a school which didn't have an Oxbridge student within the experience of the teachers there but it was fine. I'd imagine they will look at your reference as they do your PS - everybody's will be glowing so as long as yours is not actually saying bad things about you then it'll be perfectly ok.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9766
Original post by panh7098
Hey, I'm a year 12 student going into year 13. I want to study geography at Cambridge but haven't got my AS results yet.

But just regarding my subject choices...
I've got 11 A*s for GCSE, and I chose history, geography, maths and economics for AS. I think history will be on the boundary of A/B but others will be a comfortable A.

I'm dropping history next year, doing just geography, maths and economics for A2. I do have a hope of getting A* in all of them.

I consider extra reading to be my strength, as well as work experience because I have done one in China and another at Transport for London.

Do I sound like a prospective Cambridge candidate? Or shall I persuade the school to pick up history again?

The standard mantra of 'if you don't apply, you won't get in' certainly applies. However, for your own sanity, you also need to know roughly what your chances are. Cambridge want as many candidates as possible to apply, so they have the widest choice - so they want to encourage people to apply even if they think in their own heart the chances are low (at that stage). 80% of applicants don't get in - so are you likely to be in or out?

Firstly, A grades at AS aren't really a sufficient to judge. 3 years ago, one in 8 A level students got straight As (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/6056447/A-level-results-one-in-eight-to-get-straight-As.html). Grade inflation will have increased that since then. That is far too many for Oxbridge, so they need to decide on some other criteria. Obviously, interview, school reference etc counts for something, but this thread is about exam results.

Cambridge do provide very clear guidance as to what they are looking for here - http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html
'UMS performance
We ask applicants to tell us the details of their uniform mark scheme (UMS) performance in every AS/A2 Level unit taken to date on our Supplementary Application Questionnaire. Our research shows that performance at AS/A Level as measured by average UMS percentages is a much better predictor of degree potential than GCSE results.

Our main measure of UMS performance is the average across three subjects: for Arts and Social Science applicants across the three best subjects (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking); for Science applicants across the three most relevant subjects.

In the last admissions round the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90% on this measure, while the average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95%. Note that both these figures are averages. There were successful Cambridge applicants who had UMS averages in their best/most relevant three subjects below 90%.'

So when you get your AS results tomorrow, selection of the relevant subjects and a quick bit of maths to calculate the relevant average should indicate where you sit in relation to average applicants and average successful applicants.

In relation to doing a fourth A level, note Cambridge say 3 not 4. At an entry event I went to a while ago, they said that they don't given any more 'points' for 4 A levels - but the presenter said if 4 are taken, it is better if they are all good results. Seemed be a greater chance of losing than of winning to me.
Original post by Colmans
I think you are confusing formal Ranking with how offers are made. For maths, UMS average ranking over 3 or 4 subjects is not so important.
You need to distinguish your opinion from fact as well. In the same way that your opinion was that they never rank on four subjects (but is shown to be wrong by the admissions handbook,) I don't think you can find a quote to prove maths ranking is done differently.
We both agree that maths UMS, interview ability and STEP are what achieves a place. I quite agree that an average brought down by FM is going to matter hugely more than one brought down by Chemistry.

If you look at the Trinity College "Acceptable Subject Combinations" page then it says this with regards to Maths:

"Applicants for Maths are normally expected to offer Maths, Further Maths and Physics, although if necessary another subject from List A1 or A2 may be substituted for Physics; those unable to take Further Maths A-level must offer Maths, Physics, AS Further Maths and another subject from List A1 or A2."

This implies that Maths/Further Maths are treated as separate subjects for a Maths application, at least as far as Trinity is concerned.

(From http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604)
38 points with 7 in maths, 6 in chemistry and 5 in physics. how many change to get into Cambridge?Admission tutor said he will contact me this week.....but have not heard from him yet
Original post by 526540828
38 points with 7 in maths, 6 in chemistry and 5 in physics. how many change to get into Cambridge?Admission tutor said he will contact me this week.....but have not heard from him yet

Which course? And are you an offer holder?

Keep in mind that the standard offer is normally around 41 (out of 45) I think. The lowest I've heard of is 39/45. Cambridge would normally expect applicants to meet or exceed their standard offer.
Keep in mind that the standard offer is normally around 41 (out of 45) I think. The lowest I've heard of is 39/45. Cambridge would normally expect applicants to meet or exceed their standard offer.

noooo.....offer is 40 in tital. for chemical engineering. Admission said they will reply this week, but I have not heard of them yet, Should I phone. It might be too late to call tomorrow.
Original post by 526540828
noooo.....offer is 40 in tital. for chemical engineering. Admission said they will reply this week, but I have not heard of them yet, Should I phone. It might be too late to call tomorrow.

You can call but I think they might just ask you to call back tomorrow. Why would tomorrow be too late?
Hi, I have two general questions.

1. I've read that Cambridge look at a UMS average across the three most relevant subjects. Do further maths and maths modules taken at AS count as one or two subjects?

2. I take a fifth "blacklisted" a-level. How much will it matter if i screw it up, if I have four other relevant subjects?

Computer science applicant, by the way.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read back through the thread because my first question has already been asked (they count as one right?).
Still can't find an answer for the second one though :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CallMeASafeBet
2. I take a fifth "blacklisted" a-level. How much will it matter if i screw it up, if I have four other relevant subjects?

No effect. Rule of thumb is to think of the "blacklisted" A-levels as voids. If you have two A-levels + one "blacklisted" A-level then this would be seen as just two A-levels, evidently rather bad as everyone else has at least three. If you have four relevant A-levels then the fifth (least relevant) one isn't going to be important anyway.

And :five: from a CompSci :h: Feel free to ask anything about the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
No effect. Rule of thumb is to think of the "blacklisted" A-levels as voids. If you have two A-levels + one "blacklisted" A-level then this would be seen as just two A-levels, evidently rather bad as everyone else has at least three. If you have four relevant A-levels then the fifth (least relevant) one isn't going to be important anyway.

And :five: from a CompSci :h: Feel free to ask anything about the course.

Ah thanks, that's reassuring :smile:.
Hi everyone!

Just looking to see whether it would be worth applying to Cambridge:

I got 6.5A*'s and 3 A's. This was much higher than the average at my school, in fact i got the most A*'s and A's out of all students there. I also got a B in the FSMQ

AS levels: all A's

Maths: 284/200 s1:94/100, c1, 95/100 , c2, 95/100

History: 182/200 A; 82/100, B: 100/100

Economics: 185/200 A;85/100, B: 100/100

I'm worried the 82/100 will hold me back?

Thanks!
Reply 9776
Original post by TheHaylio
Hi everyone!

Just looking to see whether it would be worth applying to Cambridge:

I got 6.5A*'s and 3 A's. This was much higher than the average at my school, in fact i got the most A*'s and A's out of all students there. I also got a B in the FSMQ

AS levels: all A's

Maths: 284/200 s1:94/100, c1, 95/100 , c2, 95/100

History: 182/200 A; 82/100, B: 100/100

Economics: 185/200 A;85/100, B: 100/100

I'm worried the 82/100 will hold me back?

Thanks!

Go for it, the 82 shouldn't be a problem, you've got a good set of grades there :smile:
If you get the 3 grades required for entry/exceed the requirements, but have extra A levels that aren't as good or are unrelated to the course, will I still have a chance? :s-smilie:
Reply 9778
ok so just got back my AS results- AAAA and honestly im over the moon, never expected anything like that considering i was predicted straight B's.

Cambridge was never really an option for me due to my gcse's A*AAAABBBBB and i realise that most candidates will be applying with straight A*s.

So, how lenient are they on GCSE's? you hear all the stories about how they're not as strict as oxford, but is there really any truth in that?

Reply 9779
All you can do is apply. If you've shown improvement from GCSEs to AS levels that's a good sign and will reflect well on you, so it's a good start. Then there are all the other parts of the application - your personal statement, reference, supplementary application questionnaire - which will go together and be considered as a whole. So they may decide that these are more important than your GCSEs, or they may not - but you won't know until you apply, and as long as you choose 4 other sensible choices I'd say you might as well have a go :smile: You'll need to make sure at least 1 of your AS levels has marks high enough that it can be turned into an A* next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending