The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Part TIme work at Southampton University

I will hopefully be studying at Southampton University and was wondering what jobs are available at the University?

I have looked at the Southampton University website, and there isn't that much information or job vacancies available?

I can email my CV to the temp bank email they have on there website and that is all I can do.

Compared to Bath University, there are 5 different emails I can email my CV to as well as a job vacancy database called joblink with loads of jobs available for Bath students, there are 18 job vacancy, which I can apply to 13 of them which are suitable for me.

Is there a part time job vacancy database for Southampton University? or any other job emails/links?

I do need a part time job at Southampton, and can do bar/cleaning/waitering/tour guide/admin so any sort of job really.
Reply 1
Original post by GuyUK
I will hopefully be studying at Southampton University and was wondering what jobs are available at the University?

I have looked at the Southampton University website, and there isn't that much information or job vacancies available?

I can email my CV to the temp bank email they have on there website and that is all I can do.

Compared to Bath University, there are 5 different emails I can email my CV to as well as a job vacancy database called joblink with loads of jobs available for Bath students, there are 18 job vacancy, which I can apply to 13 of them which are suitable for me.

Is there a part time job vacancy database for Southampton University? or any other job emails/links?

I do need a part time job at Southampton, and can do bar/cleaning/waitering/tour guide/admin so any sort of job really.

It may not be of any interest to you but it might be an idea to look at becoming a student ambassador at Soton....
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentambassadors/applicants/
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by tobnot
It may not be of any interest to you but it might be an idea to look at becoming a student ambassador at Soton....
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentambassadors/applicants/

I don't have experiences working with young people.

Also, there seems to be alot of competition for the role, essay based application form, group interviews etc.

I don't know how many hours it offers, but I assume it's on an ad-hoc basis.

I proberly apply for it, but I don't think I would be offered a job.
Original post by GuyUK
I don't have experiences working with young people.

Also, there seems to be alot of competition for the role, essay based application form, group interviews etc.

I don't know how many hours it offers, but I assume it's on an ad-hoc basis.

I proberly apply for it, but I don't think I would be offered a job.

I'm a student ambassador at the moment, and I'd really reccommend you go for it! I didn't think I would get it, but I did, and its really good work, with good pay (£7.17 an hour including holiday pay). You won't start work really till January (Have to wait for your CRB check to come through - which they pay for) and then you will be sent emails about jobs and you sign up to whatever takes your fancy. You won't always get the work, but you often will. I did the mentoring for the year 10 challenge this year, for which they were looking for people still quite late on, and got paid for the 9 hours work (plus travel time to/from the school and 1 hours prep time) and then £100 on top for the e-mentoring. Last week I finished 3 weeks 9till5 office work at the uni too. For that you don't need to be an ambassador, I believe being a part of the uni temp bank (You can sign up at Freshers Fair - make sure to follow up if you don'y get any emails! For some reason they never sent me any) would work too. You can get other stuff like helping out in the cafe through the temp bank too.

You can also work at the open days (Two in July, two in September) without being a member of anything. And they advertise twice a year I think for you to be a student caller. This is an old link, but will give you an idea: https://www.soton.ac.uk/careers/news/newsrelease/20100922c.shtml
I believe everything pays around £7.17 an hour. I'm sure there is other stuff you can do, but your best bet to find out is to contact career destinations, I'm sure they'd have a list. https://www.soton.ac.uk/careers/index.shtml

Oh and for bar work, and other union work: http://www.susu.org/work-with-us/2011/ Keep checking it, it gets updated often :smile:
Hope that helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GuyUK

Just use normal job vacancy websites and search for ones in Southampton? Or wait till you get there and spend a Saturday in the city going shop to shop asking? :confused: Or is it specifically just jobs within the University that you're after?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mikeorchard
Just use normal job vacancy websites and search for ones in Southampton? Or wait till you get there and spend a Saturday in the city going shop to shop asking? :confused: Or is it specifically just jobs within the University that you're after?

I am specifcially looking for jobs within the University. If I can't found a job within the University, I will apply for jobs in the city.
Reply 6
Original post by EvaStarshine
I'm a student ambassador at the moment, and I'd really reccommend you go for it! I didn't think I would get it, but I did, and its really good work, with good pay (£7.17 an hour including holiday pay). You won't start work really till January (Have to wait for your CRB check to come through - which they pay for) and then you will be sent emails about jobs and you sign up to whatever takes your fancy. You won't always get the work, but you often will. I did the mentoring for the year 10 challenge this year, for which they were looking for people still quite late on, and got paid for the 9 hours work (plus travel time to/from the school and 1 hours prep time) and then £100 on top for the e-mentoring. Last week I finished 3 weeks 9till5 office work at the uni too. For that you don't need to be an ambassador, I believe being a part of the uni temp bank (You can sign up at Freshers Fair - make sure to follow up if you don'y get any emails! For some reason they never sent me any) would work too. You can get other stuff like helping out in the cafe through the temp bank too.

You can also work at the open days (Two in July, two in September) without being a member of anything. And they advertise twice a year I think for you to be a student caller. This is an old link, but will give you an idea: https://www.soton.ac.uk/careers/news/newsrelease/20100922c.shtml
I believe everything pays around £7.17 an hour. I'm sure there is other stuff you can do, but your best bet to find out is to contact career destinations, I'm sure they'd have a list. https://www.soton.ac.uk/careers/index.shtml

Oh and for bar work, and other union work: http://www.susu.org/work-with-us/2011/ Keep checking it, it gets updated often :smile:
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the job links

:smile:
Original post by GuyUK
Thanks for the job links

:smile:

It's no problem :smile: Good luck with whatever you apply for! And I hope you enjoy your time at Southampton :smile:
Reply 8
1 - Tempbank
2 - Work at SUSU (someone provided the link above). I work for SUSU and to be honest its great! They are very understanding if you need time off to study and you can get good hours! The work depending on what you do is quite enjoyable. (I work on reception, marketing and promotions!)
3 - Student Ambassador
4 - Work within your Faculty. Depending on what faculty you are in there will be jobs such as tours for UCAS people.

Look out for some stands at the bun fight / freshers fayre

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending