The Student Room Group

Maastricht Applicants 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Anyone else in the Professor Pieter Willemsstaat housing at all? here on my lonesome :P
Original post by jhenryg
Anyone else in the Professor Pieter Willemsstaat housing at all? here on my lonesome :P

Im at Wardehofplein - just me, my microwavable dinner and some very strange looking fruit.

I don't have any bed linens or towels at the mo though... mission no1 for tomorrow.
Hi Alexgadgetman and anyone else who is there.

I have only just got my offer through today and I'm planning to visit this week. What is it like? Also I'm worried about the Knowledge Engineering course, I'm not sure whether it covers enough of the regular computer science course for me to enjoy it. Does anyone know anything about this? If you are interested in computer science jobs, what will it look like to employers if you have a course called 'Knowledge Engineering" as opposed to "Computer Science" on your CV? I'm just a bit nervous really, I know Maastricht is ridiculously well ranked and that it would be an amazing experience living there. If anyone could help me out that'd be great. :smile:
Hi Everyone,
I just arrived in Wardehofplein. Where lonesome here as well, but everthing looks good. When I arrived I had a pack of bed linen on my bet. I will probably have to pay the 40€ if I open it.
Original post by MaastrichtStudent
Hi Everyone,
I just arrived in Wardehofplein. Where lonesome here as well, but everthing looks good. When I arrived I had a pack of bed linen on my bet. I will probably have to pay the 40€ if I open it.

LOL! where in Wardehofplein are you? (im 8B). Currently the fridge is defrosting ice onto the floor.... :s-smilie:

There were bed linens scrunched up on my bed, but it looked like they were the last person's to stay there! (/making my way to C&A today to get essentials).
Original post by readysteadygo

I don't think I know enough about the course yet to answer that - but
TheresaB45
Theresa
may be able to help. IIRC she is studying this?
Original post by Alexgadgetman
LOL! where in Wardehofplein are you? (im 8B). Currently the fridge is defrosting ice onto the floor.... :s-smilie:

There were bed linens scrunched up on my bed, but it looked like they were the last person's to stay there! (/making my way to C&A today to get essentials).

Go to HEMA or Blokker (they're on the main shopping street in the centre). They're the equivalent of Wilko's and much cheaper than C&A :smile:
Original post by readysteadygo

I have only just got my offer through today and I'm planning to visit this week. What is it like? Also I'm worried about the Knowledge Engineering course, I'm not sure whether it covers enough of the regular computer science course for me to enjoy it. Does anyone know anything about this? If you are interested in computer science jobs, what will it look like to employers if you have a course called 'Knowledge Engineering" as opposed to "Computer Science" on your CV? I'm just a bit nervous really, I know Maastricht is ridiculously well ranked and that it would be an amazing experience living there. If anyone could help me out that'd be great. :smile:

I have studied at DKE and can tell you it is definitely about 70% computer programming and mathematics. If that's your thing then you don't need to worry. I would definitely call it a computer science course, with that little bit extra to it. I think our first project was creating a tetris game. You start off with Java, but i think as the course progresses they give you more freedom. Let me know if you need anything I think I might still have a couple of old books :smile:
Original post by TheresaB45
Go to HEMA or Blokker (they're on the main shopping street in the centre). They're the equivalent of Wilko's and much cheaper than C&A :smile:

Awesome call! Just got back from Blokker (there is one by the pedestrian bridge on the way to the station from the centre) with 3 towels and a full set of bed linen for under 25 Euro, bargain!

I might still have a couple of old books :smile:

You wouldn't be happen to be selling your first year books on? :P
Original post by MM92
Does anybody know where I can find the dates for start of the courses? I've searched the entire uni website but failed to find the actual date of start. I know it's begininng of September, but I cannot find which date exactly.

I'm going to study European Studies (don't know if the dates are different for different courses)

Also, to those going to INKOM: since it ends on the 24th, are you staying in Maastricht until beginning of the academic year, or are you leaving and coming back beginning of September?

European studies (bachelor? I assume you're doing) has an introduction day on the 29th, then and all courses start september 3rd, so I don't see much point in going home, you'll be wasting your time travelling.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Alexgadgetman
Ouch, some long drive - guess you will be on the way by now!
I think I will be begging some essential parcels/food from home when I arrive. Have managed to get my bag down tounder 13kg! Can't think of anything else I need.

Definitely think that the Housing arrangements have been the biggest negative of the Maastricht stuff so far. Hopefully nothing else will come along to knock it off that perch!

Yep, it tired me out completely, didn't sleep until last night I was like a zombie :s-smilie:.

Wow, that really is skill right there, I could never do that! I had two large boxes a medium & small suitcase, pillows duvet (obviously has not been much use given the weather) & loads more bits which filling the car. But I did have more than the essentials tbf (Y)

It is a proper s*** site it needs a major overhaul of some kind. There are a few more sites like it but they are further down the page when you search, plus I think Maastricht housing gets pimped out by the uni, so that's where everyone ends up.
For anyone going to Inkom, is anyone up for meeting up somewhere prior? ...I have barely a clue where the school of business & economics is so it could be helpful not to get lost first thing :s-smilie:
Reply 892
Original post by LPickering
European studies (bachelor? I assume you're doing) has an introduction day on the 29th, then and all courses start september 3rd, so I don't see much point in going home, you'll be wasting your time travelling.

Thanks a lot. I live in Germany so it's close enough for it to make sense to come even for two days :smile: I can pack properly etc.

Important question: I want to go to INKOM but I have trouble purchasing the ticket online. I'm coming tomorrow (20th), will I be able to by the ticket "by hand" once I arrive there?

Also how is it with housing? On the website it says the mentors will provide housing, is this definately true?
Original post by MM92
Thanks a lot. I live in Germany so it's close enough for it to make sense to come even for two days :smile: I can pack properly etc.

Important question: I want to go to INKOM but I have trouble purchasing the ticket online. I'm coming tomorrow (20th), will I be able to by the ticket "by hand" once I arrive there?

Also how is it with housing? On the website it says the mentors will provide housing, is this definately true?

I don't know where it says anything about mentors providing housing. You should really start on this yourself as it's very late in the process and there aren't many rooms left to choose from.
You should be able to buy an INKOM ticket when you are in Maastricht, although I heard that there are only a few left.
Are you from the UK or Germany? If the UK I can try and help you, if you're from Germany there is a German Country Team (look on the UM website) and can help you out too :smile:
Original post by LPickering
For anyone going to Inkom, is anyone up for meeting up somewhere prior? ...I have barely a clue where the school of business & economics is so it could be helpful not to get lost first thing :s-smilie:

Try the Info-UK Maastricht University Facebook page. There are loads of Brits here already and are already meeting up and doing things together. If you are here in Maastricht then just go and explore the city a bit and find the SBE faculty in advance so you know where to go. The weather is amazing!
Reply 895
Hey guys! I'm here in Maastricht and me and a couple of the other UK guys were thinking about going to the Vrijthof at the bandstand for about 9:30 or something :smile: so idk if anyone feels like it but yeah just to let you know
Original post by jhenryg
Hey guys! I'm here in Maastricht and me and a couple of the other UK guys were thinking about going to the Vrijthof at the bandstand for about 9:30 or something :smile: so idk if anyone feels like it but yeah just to let you know

Think I'll try & get there (Y)
Try the Info-UK Maastricht University Facebook page. There are loads of Brits here already and are already meeting up and doing things together. If you are here in Maastricht then just go and explore the city a bit and find the SBE faculty in advance so you know where to go. The weather is amazing!

Oh yeah I forgot about that page so thanks for the reminder :smile:.
The weather is thankfully proper summer weather (Y); unlike what we've had in England, where it's been raining!
Hi,
did everyone receive the "application package" with your student card, etc., allready? I'm still only "conditionally approved" even though I send them/paid everything a month ago. Do you think I should be worried about that? I'm afraid they will ask for my student card during INKOM.
Reply 899
I don't know where it says anything about mentors providing housing. You should really start on this yourself as it's very late in the process and there aren't many rooms left to choose from.

On the main website, under "Places to sleep?" it says: "All INKOM-participants are allocated to INKOM-groups of ten freshmen, under the guidance of two senior students. These mentors are able to provide places to sleep if you don’t have one. This can be arranged on the first day of the INKOM at Tuesday the 21st of August."

Should I be counting on this? Or look for an alternative?

You should be able to buy an INKOM ticket when you are in Maastricht, although I heard that there are only a few left.

That really troubles me :s-smilie: Cause I have no way of purchasing the ticket online, and now I don't know whether or not I should get on the train tomorrow, cause it wouldn't make sense if I don't manage to buy the ticket.

edit: I sent the INKOM team an e-mail about my payment troubles, and they replied saying that they reserved a ticket for me and I can pay by cash. That's great. :biggrin:

Are you from the UK or Germany? If the UK I can try and help you, if you're from Germany there is a German Country Team (look on the UM website) and can help you out too :smile:

I'm actually from Poland. Do you know of a group that can help me in this case?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest