The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Things you wish you knew before starting uni at Nottingham

So in about a month thousands of us freshers will be heading to uni, and will most likely make a massive amount of mistakes and silly decisions

And although this is all part of the experience, i was wondering if any older students could offer some advice on how to enjoy uni more?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Subscribed. Hoping for some postgrad relevant things too...
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
For the first two weeks, don't even try using the Jubilee hopper bus - it's so full that it's usually quicker to walk! After that, it settles down and becomes very useful for getting around!
Reply 3
in terms of other buses, you can get on to lots for £1 if you show your student card - however be warned that some buses refuse to give change so always try to save your pound coins!
Reply 4
Make sure you join at least one good society. You will make friends you keep throughout your time in Nottingham. Most of the ones you meet in halls will be soon forgotten.
Reply 5
i was just about to ask the same question...hoping for a detailed answer...
Reply 6
Completely agree with the hopper bus thing!

In my first few weeks (ahem.. couple of months :colondollar:) I could never remember which building was the Trent building and which was Portland. I'm sure nobody else will have such a ridiculous mental block as me though, haha.

But Trent Building is where they host lots of fancy stuff and therefore they have REALLY nice loos (including shower room & towels :cool:) and the nicest cafe. Not really a tip, I suppose, but I only stumbled across them during summer exams and was most impressed after spending all my time in Clive Granger...
Reply 7
Seems almost everyone on here is starting next month XD
Reply 8
Something I have been thinking about lately is getting a new laptop, mine is getting sluggish and old but it gets the job done in any case, the only reason I would get a new one is if I would take it to lectures; however I am much more of a paper and pen person than a laptop person especially because I am studying Economics and making the diagrams on the PC takes ages, nonetheless what is your opinion, is a laptop essential for lectures or will I get on just as well with paper and pen?

TL;DR: Can I get by on paper and pen or should I take a laptop to lectures (not really a typist myself though)
Reply 9
You don't need a laptop for lectures. Inevitably those who take them end up playing games or using facebook chat, and not paying attention to the lecture.
Reply 10
Original post by Feragon
Something I have been thinking about lately is getting a new laptop, mine is getting sluggish and old but it gets the job done in any case, the only reason I would get a new one is if I would take it to lectures; however I am much more of a paper and pen person than a laptop person especially because I am studying Economics and making the diagrams on the PC takes ages, nonetheless what is your opinion, is a laptop essential for lectures or will I get on just as well with paper and pen?

TL;DR: Can I get by on paper and pen or should I take a laptop to lectures (not really a typist myself though)

Laptops nor tablets are essential for lectures. I'd stick with good ol' pen and paper. If they've done this good for you thus far, there's no season why they can't carry on their good'ness (sp?) further:biggrin:. But if you're laptop is getting old and sluggish, and you need it for essays and such, then I'd invest in a new one, or even a PC.
Reply 11
oooo useful thread, keep the tips coming guys!
Reply 12
Also, in exam period, if you want a seat at the library get there EARLY.
I've had many failed trips :no:
Gold sports membership isn't really worth it, IMO. Unless things have changed significantly since I last used it in 1st year, the weights room is too small to use properly unless your lecture schedule allows you to plan your sessions for when the gym isn't busy, rather than when you aren't busy.

I stopped going after one day when people were literally queuing for a bench and the following day when I finally got to bench press and somebody squeezing past promptly walked into the bar.

But that's pretty boring. Here's something I really wish I had known in advance:

The Victoria Hotel, Beeston
The Crown, Beeston
The Organ Grinder, Canning Circus
The Bell Inn, town centre
The Malt Cross, town centre
BrewDog, Lace Market
The Ropewalk, Canning Circus
Hand & Heart, as above
Old Salutation, near the castle
Trip to Jerusalem, pretty much under the castle
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Jin3011
Laptops nor tablets are essential for lectures. I'd stick with good ol' pen and paper. If they've done this good for you thus far, there's no season why they can't carry on their good'ness (sp?) further:biggrin:. But if you're laptop is getting old and sluggish, and you need it for essays and such, then I'd invest in a new one, or even a PC.

Thanks man, my laptop isn't sluggish for Microsoft Office work, so 'll leave it in the hall when I am in lectures and I'll get cracking on it for essays and such. If it survived the IB it'll survive Notts (I hope :biggrin:).
Reply 15
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Gold sports membership isn't really worth it, IMO. Unless things have changed significantly since I last used it in 1st year, the weights room is too small to use properly unless your lecture schedule allows you to plan your sessions for when the gym isn't busy, rather than when you aren't busy.

I stopped going after one day when people were literally queuing for a bench and the following day when I finally got to bench press and somebody squeezing past promptly walked into the bar.

But that's pretty boring. Here's something I really wish I had known in advance:

The Victoria Hotel, Beeston
The Crown, Beeston
The Organ Grinder, Canning Circus
The Bell Inn, town centre
The Malt Cross, town centre
BrewDog, Lace Market
The Ropewalk, Canning Circus
Hand & Heart, as above
Old Salutation, near the castle
Trip to Jerusalem, pretty much under the castle

Seeing as you took the Gold membership, what is the deal with silver and bronze with regards to paying for the gym? Do you pay whenever you go in or is it a weekly thing?

Also any idea on the quality of the physiotherapy (I injured my knees and am currently undergoing therapy but I need to keep it going if I have any hopes of playing rugby at uni)?
Original post by Feragon
Seeing as you took the Gold membership, what is the deal with silver and bronze with regards to paying for the gym? Do you pay whenever you go in or is it a weekly thing?

Also any idea on the quality of the physiotherapy (I injured my knees and am currently undergoing therapy but I need to keep it going if I have any hopes of playing rugby at uni)?

I've never used the physio, so I can't really offer any useful advice. If memory serves, gold membership is free use of the gym all year, whereas silver and bronze pay £2/4 off-peak/peak per session. If you're actually going to use the gym, it make sense to go gold. An alternative to the campus gym is Raw Physique (link below) in Lenton, a mile or so from campus but the run/bike there and back can be your cardio. :wink:

http://www.rawphysiquegym.co.uk/Raw_Physique_Gymnasium/RawPhysiqueGym.html

Edit: I'm making the assumption here that you're interested in proper gym stuff- i.e. free weights. If all you want from a gym is a room with treadmills and resistance machines, then uni park will be fine, it's only the weights room that is small.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I've never used the physio, so I can't really offer any useful advice. If memory serves, gold membership is free use of the gym all year, whereas silver and bronze pay £2/4 off-peak/peak per session. If you're actually going to use the gym, it make sense to go gold. An alternative to the campus gym is Raw Physique (link below) in Lenton, a mile or so from campus but the run/bike there and back can be your cardio. :wink:

http://www.rawphysiquegym.co.uk/Raw_Physique_Gymnasium/RawPhysiqueGym.html

Edit: I'm making the assumption here that you're interested in proper gym stuff- i.e. free weights. If all you want from a gym is a room with treadmills and resistance machines, then uni park will be fine, it's only the weights room that is small.

I am interested in all of it, but I am guessing the rugby team (if I get in) will have a session or so where we can use the weights and stuff. Thanks for the link btw might turn out to be quite handy.

Also forgot to ask you in the last post if those places you mentioned were all around Nottingham, i.e. pubs/bars and such?
for everyone who wants to watch 4oD on the uni network (halls) then youll have to turn off the proxy to watch what you want, and then turn it back on after your finished. an invaluable tip.

get tesco delivery. its just so much easier.
mango card too.
Original post by Feragon
I am interested in all of it, but I am guessing the rugby team (if I get in) will have a session or so where we can use the weights and stuff. Thanks for the link btw might turn out to be quite handy.

Also forgot to ask you in the last post if those places you mentioned were all around Nottingham, i.e. pubs/bars and such?

I don't know much about uni sports (I only play on a medsoc team), but I'm sure they must.

Yep, those are some of the best real ale pubs in Nottingham. Well, the Brewdog pub isn't technically real ale, I don't think, but you get my point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending