The Student Room Group

Which newspapers do Oxford prefer

I wanted to quote something out of the Huffington post in my PS ad I was wondering what newspapers/news sites do Oxford prefer would they turned me down if quoted the Huffington post.
Original post by Land-based mammal
I wanted to quote something out of the Huffington post in my PS ad I was wondering what newspapers/news sites do Oxford prefer would they turned me down if quoted the Huffington post.

The best advice is not to quote anything. The admissions tutors want to hear what you have to say about your application.
Original post by Good bloke
The best advice is not to quote anything. The admissions tutors want to hear what you have to say about your application.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to give off the wrong impression, or insinuate anything about my particular political stance or my demographic. I would like to be considered for my passion.
I would like to be considered for my passion.

While that is quite important, persuading them that you have lots of and potential is also key.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to give off the wrong impression, or insinuate anything about my particular political stance or my demographic. I would like to be considered for my passion.

Tutors won't turn you down based on your political stance - they're more interested in hearing the justification and reasoning behind your beliefs than any particular example.
Reply 5
The Sun is always a good one.
Reply 6
Daily Mail will probably get you in.

The independent is free from Political bias. So if you insist on putting a Newspaper in your PS, then that'd be the right one. I don't think they'd reject you because you read the Daily Mail...
Reply 8
I quoted the Daily Star at interview and got in to study medicine.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
The independent is free from Political bias. So if you insist on putting a Newspaper in your PS, then that'd be the right one. I don't think they'd reject you because you read the Daily Mail...

Lol I am not a big fan of the Daily Mail, I really liked a quote by a journalist it fit into what I was talking about in my PS, its about the failing political landscape of Somalia etc. thanks for your input my PS is about politics btw :smile:
Original post by Zuzuzu
I quoted the Daily Star at interview and got in to study medicine.

I wanted to do medicine before I settled on Politics and History :smile:, there would be no chance of me quoting a tabloid because I don't think lightening would strike twice.
Reply 11
Well I'm sure Nick Griffin said/wrote some "interesting" things to get into Cambridge...
Original post by rahyahrah
Well I'm sure Nick Griffin said/wrote some "interesting" things to get into Cambridge...

Lol looks like no one on this site wants to ruin Oxford's reputation for impartiality, but we all know these institutions have preferences, they don't want a right wing nut trying to mingle with the dons and climbing the ranks of old-boys clubs, possibly forging for himself a place in the Civil Service or in Westminster.
Reply 13
Lol looks like no one on this site wants to ruin Oxford's reputation for impartiality, but we all know these institutions have preferences, they don't want a right wing nut trying to mingle with the dons and climbing the ranks of old-boys clubs, possibly forging for himself a place in the Civil Service or in Westminster.

Original post by rahyahrah

lol i got the joke
Original post by Cephalus
Daily Mail will probably get you in.

Lmao.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Reply 16

Anything could potentially get you in. If you've always wanted to give a robust defence of tabloid journalism that should be absolutely fine.

I don't see any need to present yourself as central or apolitical unless you wish to make a case for staying out of politics, or defend how anyone can be unbiased.

Talk about what you want to talk about. Again, if you want to be uncontroversial for its own sake, be prepared to say why you think that's best.

Don't try to merge with the consensus view without any justification. That's boring, and boring is bad.
Original post by Mellete
Anything could potentially get you in. If you've always wanted to give a robust defence of tabloid journalism that should be absolutely fine.

I don't see any need to present yourself as central or apolitical unless you wish to make a case for staying out of politics, or defend how anyone can be unbiased.

Talk about what you want to talk about. Again, if you want to be uncontroversial for its own sake, be prepared to say why you think that's best.

Don't try to merge with the consensus view without any justification. That's boring, and boring is bad.

Thank you for your comment, I can see how having conventional views can be boring after all Oxford are looking for independent thinkers.
Reply 18
I like the NYT, but yeah, reading one newspaper over another won't really change the outcome of your application.

Unless you say you are an avid reader of The Sun and only reference page 3...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending