The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you leave Britain if it became majority non-white ?

Scroll to see replies

Not really, as his argument was incorrect on the basis of its independent merits, as the data I presented demonstrated. You tried to claim it was a joke, which necessitates the initial invocation of the speaker's qualities/intentions, as opposed to the statement's veracity.
Original post by whyumadtho
I'm actually providing a pertinent counterargument, which you seem be unable or unwilling to do (i.e., you are expressing an inability to debate the subjects you are talking about). I've explained both your attempt at a circumstantial ad hominem/genetic fallacy and proof by assertion arguments are fallacies because they are attacking something other than my arguments' independent merits. If you believe my arguments are incorrect, I would like you to justify this position by constructing a pertinent response to my rebuttals.

No you haven't and your failure to see that is why I'm asking for proof of your academic worth.

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average"

If you can show your academic worth, then clearly this should not apply to you and I will continue the debate. Ball's in your court bro, how you gonna play?
Not really, as his argument was incorrect on the basis of its independent merits, as the data I presented demonstrated. You tried to claim it was a joke, which necessitates the initial invocation of the speaker's qualities/intentions, as opposed to the statement's veracity.

:blah:

Where do you study again?
Original post by Yung Mon£y
No you haven't and your failure to see that is why I'm asking for proof of your academic worth.

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average"

If you can show your academic worth, then clearly this should not apply to you and I will continue the debate. Ball's in your court bro, how you gonna play?
Where have I done this? I'm simply presenting an argument—as is the purpose of this board—and you are responding with, "the validity of everything you say depends on who you are; therefore, I'm not going to acknowledge the validity or invalidity of your argument until I am able to gauge your irrelevant personal attributes" (i.e., IT IS A LOGICAL FALLACY). An argument cannot be productive if there isn't actually dialectic occurring and one person is relying on a logical fallacy.

Perhaps you treat me as someone whose ability is much higher than average, but I have never explicitly or implicitly expressed that sentiment.
Where have I done this? I'm simply presenting an argument—as is the purpose of this board—and you are responding with, "the validity of everything you say depends on who you are; therefore, I'm not going to acknowledge the validity or invalidity of your argument until I am able to gauge your irrelevant personal attributes" (i.e., IT IS A LOGICAL FALLACY). An argument cannot be productive if there isn't actually dialectic occurring and one person is relying on a logical fallacy.

Perhaps you treat me as someone whose ability is much higher than average, but I have never explicitly or implicitly expressed that sentiment.

Caps?
Whyumadtho?
Caps?
Whyumadtho?
When you have assimilated the dialectic skills necessary to present a cogent, pertinent counterargument free of logical fallacies and directed at the independent merits of my argument, this discussion may continue.
When you have assimilated the dialectic skills necessary to present a cogent, pertinent counterargument free of logical fallacies and directed at the independent merits of my argument, this discussion may continue.

Your writing is clearly bombastic and you fail to understand basic concepts hence why the dunning-kruger effect applies to you.

Why do you refuse to show any academic worth? Let me guess; because you don't have any, and that would then mean said effect above applies to you, yet this would contradict your superiority complex. If you lie, you admit you're academic value is lacking, and if you tell the truth, the same applies, and in both instances your complex would be shattered, meaning that the only option you have is to remain silent on the subject.
Amirite?

Then explain your refusal to show academic worth and your bombastic language :smile:
The importance rests in the fact that it is merely a social construct. Since it is simply an acquired social trait, as opposed to anything essential or fundamental, it is not immune from criticism and there is no imperative to uphold this myth of propinquity—it is an imagined concept. Similarly, there is no need to uphold the myth in some parts of the world that children are witches or possessed by demons, despite this imagined concept having a large influence over social relations.

Those who are psychologically propinquitous to you are your friends; since you are not friends with every 'white' person, and cannot be friends or even acquaintances with every 'white' person, it is clear that this pretension to having an affinity with every 'white' person is a figment of your imagination.

No one is arguing if something is a social construct or not.

No one is arguing one member of an ethnicity knows or connects with everyone of the same ethnicity.

A person simply wants to live in a country of a certain majority ethnic group
Then don't live in one of those neighbourhoods. Simple. It's really not that hard. Better still just stay at home and never go out. If your that scared. Moron!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Then explain your refusal to show academic worth
Because it is inconsequential to the veracity of my statements.

and your bombastic language :smile:
I can simplify myself if you want.
Original post by democracyforum
No one is arguing if something is a social construct or not.

No one is arguing one member of an ethnicity knows or connects with everyone of the same ethnicity.

A person simply wants to live in a country of a certain majority ethnic group
Then there is no imperative to accommodate this request and I am free to criticise it if I feel it is conceptualised erroneously. I would like to know why, given it is a social construct, you don't wish to self-evaluate the validity of your beliefs.
I want to live in Canada for a few years anyway so the Uk cultural population wouldn't really affect my decision as I plan to move anyway
Because it is inconsequential to the veracity of my statements.

I can simplify myself if you want.

It is not inconsequential when you exhibit a gross lack of understanding basic concepts.

I did not ask you to simplify yourself; I asked you to explain why you choose to use bombastic language :smile:
It is not inconsequential when you exhibit a gross lack of understanding basic concepts.
I've explained my argument and am now waiting for you to present a counterargument that addresses it on its independent merits.

I did not ask you to simplify yourself; I asked you to explain why you choose to use bombastic language :smile:
It can only be bombastic relative to something, and I didn't realise I was speaking what you consider to be bombastically relative to you. Would you like me to simplify myself?
Then there is no imperative to accommodate this request and I am free to criticise it if I feel it is conceptualised erroneously. I would like to know why, given it is a social construct, you don't wish to self-evaluate the validity of your beliefs.

If a person wants to move to a country because of the ethnic group living there, there is no right or wrong for wanting to.

How is it '' conceptualised erroneously '' . People do it all the time and it is perfectly socially acceptable.
I've explained my argument and am now waiting for you to present a counterargument that addresses it on its independent merits.

It can only be bombastic relative to something, and I didn't realise I was speaking what you consider to be bombastically relative to you. Would you like me to simplify myself?

Your arguments have shown gross misunderstandings e.g. humans breed to further the state.

Why do you refuse to state your academic history? You would only refuse do so if there is truth in you having a superiority complex.

No your language is bombastic, more so if you cannot show a suitable academic level of achievement. Use a dictionary.
Original post by democracyforum
If a person wants to move to a country because of the ethnic group living there, there is no right or wrong for wanting to.
What makes an ethnic group an ethnic group other than its socially constructed identity, whether that be a false belief in biological sameness or a false belief in psychological sameness? You've already admitted you don't associate with everyone you identify as being in your 'group', and I have demonstrated (and you have acknowledged) the arbitrary nature of 'race', so on what basis can the 'group' still be said to exist outside of an acquired fantastical conception? It is imaginary, and I see no innate reason that this fantasy should be upheld.

How is it '' conceptualised erroneously '' . People do it all the time and it is perfectly socially acceptable.
The current social acceptability of a concept does not mean it should remain in place, which is why the legal system and general social attitudes of this country and its people have changed dramatically over the centuries. Just like 'race' is being given less agency in society relative to the recent post-transatlantic slavery period, so too will the notion of discrete cultures and eventually the concept of the nation altogether.

It is conceptualised erroneously because people claim sameness and difference exist where they are not actually present, which is why multiculturalism is treated as a novel phenomenon. They cannot justify or explain their views other than saying "just because", which I feel demonstrates the fact that it is not above criticism because it has no basis in the first place.
Your arguments have shown gross misunderstandings e.g. humans breed to further the state.
I said people who identify as a collective, but do nothing to further what they consider to be the collective goal (whether that be internally (having more children) or externally (voting for anti-immigration parties like the BNP)), have no grounds for complaint.

If you were in a group of five and you were each tasked with writing 1/5th of a 500-word essay, would you start complaining about the lack of progress in the essay when you haven't even written a single word? If another member of your group did this would you consider their complaints to be sensible?

Why do you refuse to state your academic history? You would only refuse do so if there is truth in you having a superiority complex.
I have a superiority complex because I don't see my credentials as bearing relevance to the veracity of my viewpoints? What an asinine contention. :rolleyes:

No your language is bombastic, more so if you cannot show a suitable academic level of achievement. Use a dictionary.
I've explained that it is only bombastic relative to somebody else's vocabulary and writing style. You are writing bombastically relative to somebody who is learning English.

Latest

Trending

Trending