The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering - do Asda always tell you if you are rejected?

I applied for a couple of posts a week or so ago and haven't heard anything. I am assuming I have not been successful, but was just wondering if Asda are one of the few [nice!] companies that actually let you know lol. :smile:
That's impressive:smile: have you tried charity fundraising? I did that before and they're always looking, :smile: good luck

Rawr..
Reply 2122
Can somebody help me...

I just wanted to know whether 'application in progress' means they're going to contact you soon for a magic assessment?

:^_^: Thanks in advance
Original post by zedaa
Can somebody help me...

I just wanted to know whether 'application in progress' means they're going to contact you soon for a magic assessment?

:^_^: Thanks in advance

Yep they will get back to you. I went to a magic assessment session a few days ago and it was awful -.-. They make you talk infront of 30 random people, you have like 1 person assessing you. You also have to do roleplays and stuff. Like wtf. -.-
Reply 2124
Original post by VanessaXD
Yep they will get back to you. I went to a magic assessment session a few days ago and it was awful -.-. They make you talk infront of 30 random people, you have like 1 person assessing you. You also have to do roleplays and stuff. Like wtf. -.-

O_O
sounds really weird..
Thanks for your reply and hope you get the job!:biggrin:
What role did you apply for?
Original post by zedaa
O_O
sounds really weird..
Thanks for your reply and hope you get the job!:biggrin:
What role did you apply for?

Honestly it was a crap experience but the candidates in the room were so lovely lol even though they were random people XD they rejected me lmao but thanks anyway. :tongue: But I knew i was gonna get rejected because i was uncomfortable.

I applied for grocery colleague (:

Really make yourself stand out, there were so many people I guess it was hard to choose. They asked me stuff like "Why do you want to work at Asda" and we had to say why infront of everyone O_o and they also asked us if we won the lottery what would we do with the money :L

Good luck to you anyway ! (:
Reply 2126
Original post by VanessaXD
Honestly it was a crap experience but the candidates in the room were so lovely lol even though they were random people XD they rejected me lmao but thanks anyway. :tongue: But I knew i was gonna get rejected because i was uncomfortable.

I applied for grocery colleague (:

Really make yourself stand out, there were so many people I guess it was hard to choose. They asked me stuff like "Why do you want to work at Asda" and we had to say why infront of everyone O_o and they also asked us if we won the lottery what would we do with the money :L

Good luck to you anyway ! (:

Thanks!:cute:

Oh and one more thing: How long did it take for them to call you after you submitted your application?
Original post by zedaa
Thanks!:cute:

Oh and one more thing: How long did it take for them to call you after you submitted your application?

I think it was 5 or 6 days ! :P
Do asda use an agency to contact their applicants about interviews? I got a missed phone call from 'pertemps recruitment' and wondered if it was anything to do with asda.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-B7510
Reply 2129
Original post by greenfly125
Do asda use an agency to contact their applicants about interviews? I got a missed phone call from 'pertemps recruitment' and wondered if it was anything to do with asda.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-B7510

That doesn't sound right, throughout the whole application process I personally have only ever been phoned from the local store I applied to - it's been coming up as Withheld but they left me a message once and it was the local area code when they reeled off the number. Maybe it's different for other stores, I'm not sure.
Original post by fiona_x
Hi, I need some advice from anyone who's ever switched from a normal part time contract to seasonal.
I'm moving to uni at the start of October and have been told by work that I need to submit a request in writing to one of the managers to go seasonal. But I have no idea what to say? Other than the dates that I'd be at uni and the fact that I want to keep my job. Can someone help me out?

Alsooo, if I wanted a term time transfer, would this be dealt with in the same way or do I have to approach the store in my uni town myself?

have you told your manager you want to do it first? my manger knew for a good year. litrally all i put was as you already know i am going to university and would like to become seasonal. he didnt even look at the letter and told me it was accepted just had to do the paperwork and personnel sent me a letter to sign and return.

if you want a term time transfer speak to personnel but id personally go seasonal then see how uni goes as you can always do the part time transfer after going seasonal, i thought id want a job in term time turns out I didnt :smile:
Original post by rjadamson
Hey

I have recently applied for a job at a new ASDA store opening in my local town

There has been over 10,000 applicants for just 450 jobs, with around 2500 getting through to the ASDA magic sessions.

I did well in the magic session and have been invited for a one-to-one interview

Does any current/past employees have an idea of what questions they will be asking?

I am going into final year at uni, so I will only be asking for weekend shifts and holidays. Will this hinder my application?

I am seriously nervous because I really want the job but I have a lot of people to compete with!

Please help :biggrin: thanks in advance

only wanting to work weekends and holidays will help your application as they are the busiest times, the interviews are pretty informal and more like a chat to get to know you they have the generic what is the biggest problem with the store/ will be describe how to handle conflict in the workplace pretty generic from what our newbies have been telling me ( I help train them up) it hasnt changed much is very easy and informal good luck :smile:
Reply 2132
Hi,

I got call from asda yesterday and they offered my job in asda bakery which i accepted however i have experience in retail as stockroom and customer assistant and have never worked in a bakery before. So, i am confused that what the job will be in asda bakery and is it hard?

Plus, lady also told me that i will get email from their head office and i have to fill those forms and bring with me on induction day however i havent received it yet, does anyone know how long does it take to get the email?

Your reply will be a great help!
Reply 2133
Original post by huntthehaunted
have you told your manager you want to do it first? my manger knew for a good year. litrally all i put was as you already know i am going to university and would like to become seasonal. he didnt even look at the letter and told me it was accepted just had to do the paperwork and personnel sent me a letter to sign and return.

if you want a term time transfer speak to personnel but id personally go seasonal then see how uni goes as you can always do the part time transfer after going seasonal, i thought id want a job in term time turns out I didnt :smile:

No, they didn't know. I took the job after dropping out of uni in March and was deliberately ambiguous about my future plans. They know now but I don't have much contact with the maangers at all, I doubt she even knows who I am tbh.
I'm leaving term time transfer, I think. I want to see how much free time I'd have as well, plus a break from the checkouts would be nice :tongue:

Original post by davidbain
Something like:

"Dear *your manager*

As you may be aware I will be heading to University this September which means I will be no longer available to fullfill my part time contract. However I don't wish to leave the company and would like to exchange my part time contract for a seasonal one. The following dates will give some indication of my seasonal availability.

*List off dates you leave / come back*

I look forward to staying with the company and returning to *store location* ASDA when not studying at University.

Yours Sincerely,
*Name*

*Contact Phone* "

As for a transfer I filled out a transfer form, which you can get from your people manager (PM / PSM) in admin, just go ask for a transfer form and also ask if there is anything else you need to do. You could also contact the potential store and ask for there PSM and just ask if they would have a position for you. I'm part way through my transfer and will be arranging it with my manager today, so I'll let you know if you need to do anything else.

THANKYOU! I was really struggling with this but I've pretty much used this as a template (if thats ok obviously) and will hopefully be handing it in tomorrow, although I'm still irrationally worried that they'll say no :/
I told my manager today that I'm definitely going to my local uni in September. He was pretty gutted which was a compliment! He offered me every weekend I want to work and said I can work as much as I like in all end of terms/holidays. Bit of a result!
Reply 2135
Does everyone who works at ASDA get paid on the same day? I got my first pay slip today and was just curious about what date they paid me up until.
Original post by Deshi
Does everyone who works at ASDA get paid on the same day? I got my first pay slip today and was just curious about what date they paid me up until.

Yeah, your money will come through tomorrow if it hasnt already (so mark down on your calendar every 4 weeks now!). They pay you up to last Saturday.

You're lucky to have a payslip, the other new starters and I didnt get one for our first pay! Fingers crossed for getting one tomorrow or i'll have to ask for one >.<

Can't wait til next pay day though! I've worked 70 hours from last Thurs to end of tomorrow :|
Original post by fiona_x
No, they didn't know. I took the job after dropping out of uni in March and was deliberately ambiguous about my future plans. They know now but I don't have much contact with the maangers at all, I doubt she even knows who I am tbh.
I'm leaving term time transfer, I think. I want to see how much free time I'd have as well, plus a break from the checkouts would be nice :tongue:

THANKYOU! I was really struggling with this but I've pretty much used this as a template (if thats ok obviously) and will hopefully be handing it in tomorrow, although I'm still irrationally worried that they'll say no :/

No problem, I'm sure it will be fine! :smile:
Pay day is good and bad. Good to get money, bad that it's never enough for what feels like your soul.
Reply 2139
I've been working at Asda for 12 weeks now and I still haven't received my discount card and I don't even have a locker. Should I tell them that I've been working for them for 12 weeks and ask for a colleague discount card, or should I wait until they approach me about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending