The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Freshers Autumn 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Halifax college, Ingram court, Block/House B, room 5.
Anyone else in my house?! :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 681
Original post by Gman1234
Aye, I applied through clearing. I also attended the clearing open day on Tuesday, were you there? :smile:

Yes I was! 1 of the only 2 visiting the biology department!
Reply 682
I'm a local but not a student so i'll give you the Freshers Lowdown if you were planning your own night out:
There is a pub for every day of the year in York, use them all except for the Terrace and York RI (they have a bad rep)
Don't under any circumstances go into Tokyo- it's the chavviest hangout in town and it lacks atmosphere.
Don't go into town if the races are on (town will be so rammed that you can't actually reach the bar)
Fibbers and The Duchess and Willow are your indie hangouts, they're decidedly less pretentious and people look like they're having real fun.
Salvation is your mainstream venue, (Tokyo nonwithstanding) It can be a little chavvy but it's normally alright.
There are also lots of bars, go into them all at least once, the atmosphere in each is distinct so it's all about testing the water.
Original post by Fiskface
Halifax college, Ingram court, Block/House B, room 5.
Anyone else in my house?! :smile:

Ooh you're next door! But I remember seeing someone on the Facebook accomodation page commenting on a post yesterday saying they were there too!

Actually, try the halifax fresher's page :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 684
Hi I applied for Alcuin on Wednesday and I haven't heard back yet . I know it says up to 7 days on the confirmation email but it seems a lot of people have heard back already. Anyone in the same situation ???
Reply 685
Original post by justn1c2
Yes I was! 1 of the only 2 visiting the biology department!

I do believe I was the other one :smile:
Nice to meet you! Looking forward to October?
If we're both living in Halifax, we can walk down together along with the other biologists :smile:
Reply 686
Original post by Gman1234
I do believe I was the other one :smile:
Nice to meet you! Looking forward to October?
If we're both living in Halifax, we can walk down together along with the other biologists :smile:

Ah well nice to meet you too! Sorry we didnt get to chat. Yeah i cant wait to start, all the biologists need to find a place to meet so we can all walk together.

Edit - I dunno how they allocate rooms but it seems like they do it court by court, and assuming we applied for rooms at the same time, we could be in the same court or house even, which would be a pretty cool coincidence!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 687
Original post by Benny100
Anybody else still waiting for their booking?

I am too. It seems most people have heard by now . I applied to Alcuin , where did you apply ?
Hey all, I'm in second year doing Film and TV Production. Just having a flick through this thread, some people are understandably unhappy about not getting their first or even second choice accommodation. Just wanted to say seriously don't stress about it. I was really upset about the whole process last year and really unhappy about getting what I got (James), but literally it couldn't have worked out any better if it was planned. I made the most amazing friends and had the best first year anyone could have hoped for. My accommodation wasn't the hole I had envisioned (none of them are!) and I really had a great time. The shared bathrooms aren't as bad as you think (even after curry night :wink:), and we made the most of being catered. Living on the main campus being away from my course wasn't an issue either. There's a free bus service and the walk isn't bad. There are so many people in the same situation as you, you're absolutely bound to find people on the same wavelength. And if your accommodation doesn't work out to be ideal, go out and make the most of living in such a beautiful city! You might meet people on your course who live in other colleges and spend time round theirs as well - I did. You'll all have a blast :biggrin:
Reply 689
Original post by NBloxham
Hi I applied for Alcuin on Wednesday and I haven't heard back yet . I know it says up to 7 days on the confirmation email but it seems a lot of people have heard back already. Anyone in the same situation ???

Don't worry I'm still waiting too (but from Goodricke) :smile:
I also applied on Wednesday
I'm sure it won't be long :smile:
Reply 690
Im in Vanbrugh-Flat C2, Donald Barron Court, anyone else?
Original post by jmolyneux
Im in Vanbrugh-Flat C2, Donald Barron Court, anyone else?

Yes, Donald Barron flat C2 haha
Reply 692
Original post by justn1c2
Ah well nice to meet you too! Sorry we didnt get to chat. Yeah i cant wait to start, all the biologists need to find a place to meet so we can all walk together.

Edit - I dunno how they allocate rooms but it seems like they do it court by court, and assuming we applied for rooms at the same time, we could be in the same court or house even, which would be a pretty cool coincidence!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Halifax College
St Lawrence's Court House F

:smile:
Reply 693
Original post by vienulo
Don't worry I'm still waiting too (but from Goodricke) :smile:
I also applied on Wednesday
I'm sure it won't be long :smile:

Thanks , it just seemed that most people had heard back. Do you know if they send out the emails on the weekend or will I have to wait till Monday ? Oh and I'm studying history , what about you ?
Reply 694
Original post by NBloxham
Thanks , it just seemed that most people had heard back. Do you know if they send out the emails on the weekend or will I have to wait till Monday ? Oh and I'm studying history , what about you ?

I don't know but the website says accommodation services are open this weekend including Monday :smile: so there could still be a chance.
And I'm studying maths (so you probably think I'm crazy, everyone does!)

Original post by Jos Gibbons
I’ve read the thread and there are several maths and physics people I spotted Ben, Ruth, the two Amys, Stephen and Rachel (apologies if I missed anyone). If any of you ever need help with a problem, just come find me I gave such help often as an undergraduate. (If I was in a college other than Wentworth I’d mass-email make that offer in my college; I doubt I’ll have enough free time to make that offer to every maths and physics undergraduate in the whole university, so I’m doing it on an if-I’ve-met-you basis (online counts).) Oh, and I’m another of the non-drinkers.

Thank you, good luck in your postgraduate studies!
Reply 695
Original post by jamesvancollier
Yes, Donald Barron flat C2 haha

aww good, starting to think i'd be living there on my own! haha
Reply 696
Original post by jamesvancollier
Block c, flat 2, you?

Aw, we're not that close then, I got block A, flat 7
Reply 697
Halifax Lindley Court house K Just accepted booking.
Original post by ray-chill
Halifax Lindley Court house K Just accepted booking.

Looks like we're neighbours, I'm in house J :smile:
Reply 699
Hi I'm in HSL/B/205

Is this st lawerence court house B floor 2 room 5?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending