The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Anyone doing life sciences at manchester uni 2012?

i was just wondering if the entire first year is biology or not? i'm really confused, would be nice to talk to some people on the course too :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hey, I am doing Biochemistry! There is a list of the modules for each course on the Manchester Uni website, I don't think its all Biology, I know there are some compulsory Chemistry units for everyone, more for me I think. Everyone doing a Life Sciences degree has very similar lectures in the first year! :biggrin:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
oh right thanks :biggrin: haha oops probably should have looked that up beforehand, never thought i would get into manchester! i hope im not really lost in the first year haha :s-smilie: thanks for your help though, do you know if we're meant to have picked modules yet? (so unorganised)
Reply 3
Optometry here :smile:
Reply 4
I have no idea about picking modules to be honest, I was assuming that we picked them when we got there, after welcome week. Where are you guys accomodated? I am in Oak House! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by SophieMinz
I have no idea about picking modules to be honest, I was assuming that we picked them when we got there, after welcome week. Where are you guys accomodated? I am in Oak House! :biggrin:

I am also in Oak House! Doing Neuroscience. Well, probably switching to plant biology or something when i realise how boring the brain is!!!
Original post by lozlestrange
oh right thanks :biggrin: haha oops probably should have looked that up beforehand, never thought i would get into manchester! i hope im not really lost in the first year haha :s-smilie: thanks for your help though, do you know if we're meant to have picked modules yet? (so unorganised)

You pick them during Welcome Week. For me it was the very first Monday, then during the rest of the week there were various talks on where things are/who to contact/how to do things/what's happening over the year.

Almost everybody will have more or less the same first year, give or take a few modules. If you look on the website at your degree programme and take a look at what optional modules you can take you will have a good idea of what you want to pick when it comes to filling out the form. I didn't and just made a rash decision based on what I could pick and stuck down what seems interesting. Worked out in the end though. If you really don't like a module you can change it within 2 weeks of the start of teaching each semester.
Reply 7

aww no fair i'm in whitworth park! i swear half the world seem to be at oak house haha

Original post by fretter778
You pick them during Welcome Week. For me it was the very first Monday, then during the rest of the week there were various talks on where things are/who to contact/how to do things/what's happening over the year.

Almost everybody will have more or less the same first year, give or take a few modules. If you look on the website at your degree programme and take a look at what optional modules you can take you will have a good idea of what you want to pick when it comes to filling out the form. I didn't and just made a rash decision based on what I could pick and stuck down what seems interesting. Worked out in the end though. If you really don't like a module you can change it within 2 weeks of the start of teaching each semester.

thanks a lot, super helpful :biggrin: sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

edit: love the icon ;D
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm doing Biology and will be living in Whitworth :smile: SO excited!
Reply 9
I'm doing biomedical sciences and living in Richmond park fallowfield! Absolutely buzzing now !
Hey :smile: studying Optometry :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Original post by kezza7
I am also in Oak House! Doing Neuroscience. Well, probably switching to plant biology or something when i realise how boring the brain is!!!

Youre the first neuroscientist I've found! Don't go bailing on me!!
Reply 12
Biochemistry for me! I'm in Dalton Ellis (trying to get a change though).
I'm doing Zoology and I'm in Sheavyn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending