The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arva
I meant the whole "very good in his field and died tragically because of his sexual orientation" but never mind. :redface:

Didn't he die of meningitis?
I think some people claimed it was brought on by syphilis, though.
Original post by Kadux

There are a few Vaios and Dells I have seen which do meet all these requirements but are within £100-£200 of a macbook and I would rather have the ability to use OSX as well as the other two operating systems for this relatively small price difference for something which I feel is very important.

Looks like you fell for the Apple-myth that you can only run Mac OS X on a Mac.
Original post by ukdragon37

Babe, when did you join Cambrudge

Isn't the os x system a lot slower on a pc?
Reply 2984

I spend months last year trying to put Os X on my computer. It simply didn't work.
Original post by bananarama2
I spend months last year trying to put Os X on my computer. It simply didn't work.

When I did it it worked first time :confused:

Original post by Blutooth
Isn't the os x system a lot slower on a pc?

I didn't notice any slowdown. There shouldn't be any technical reason why it is slower, unless
1) It is detecting whether the host is a Mac and deliberately slows down if not or
2) It is optimised for Mac hardware (which it is only able to do because Apple sells its own hardware, kept to a narrow range of variation)

Microsoft on the other hand could very well do the same and prevent Windows from running on Mac systems. However that would be entirely loss-making for them as it reduces their number of customers. Apple wants to do this because by making their OS seem "exclusive" they can sell more of their marked-up hardware.

Original post by chignesh10
Babe, when did you join Cambrudge

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2986
When I did it it worked first time :confused:

Must have been the hardware I was using then.
Original post by Blutooth
Quite a big hint for this problem.

Spoiler

I've got to write my PS so I don't have time... But the first thing that comes to mind when I saw the problem is invariant...

This initial feeling is probably wrong because your always sneaky like that...
Original post by silentlife
I've got to write my PS so I don't have time... But the first thing that comes to mind when I saw the problem is invariant...

This initial feeling is probably wrong because your always sneaky like that...

Not quite (but I suppose it can be considered invariant). It's more of a procedure. Good luck with the ps :smile:

Edit: Oh, am I always sneaky like that? Haha :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2989

Well I don't know whether you tried it or not but you need to have a certain processor. It wouldnt work on an i3 2100 but it did work on a 2105. And there's certain things you can't do which cause it break and need reinstalling. The concept of a hackintosh isn't new to me. It's just a load of fuss I can't be bothered with
Original post by Kadux
Well I don't know whether you tried it or not but you need to have a certain processor. It wouldnt work on an i3 2100 but it did work on a 2105. And there's certain things you can't do which cause it break and need reinstalling. The concept of a hackintosh isn't new to me. It's just a load of fuss I can't be bothered with

Yes I have tried it. With the right tweaks it works fine - and even more so under a virtual machine (along with the benefit of rollback) if your system is powerful enough to run virtualisation with a negligible speed penalty. As I said there is no valid technical reason for why it shouldn't work, so the fact it doesn't shows Apple is (deliberately or otherwise) being incompetent, rather than Mac being a superior platform to PC per se. It's pretty sad really that Apple has to resort to these kind of tactics to get people to buy their expensive hardware.

I think this video is quite appropriate. :tongue:

EDIT: Was going to embed the video here, but remembered it contained profanity which might get me in trouble with the TSR gestapo.
(edited 11 years ago)
It is a function which gives \bot at exactly one argument. On all other arguments the function gives you a number as normal.

But seriously, doesn't A-level teach you what total and partial functions are? :confused: All I'm saying is that an almost total function is one which is undefined (i.e. you can see it as what \bot represents) at exactly one point.

:mad: I am insulted!

I don't think we do it in A-Level, although I could guess what total and partial functions meant. However I was a bit confused when you used 'almost', but that clears it up :smile:
Yes I have tried it. With the right tweaks it works fine - and even more so under a virtual machine (along with the benefit of rollback) if your system is powerful enough to run virtualisation with a negligible speed penalty. As I said there is no valid technical reason for why it shouldn't work, so the fact it doesn't shows Apple is (deliberately or otherwise) being incompetent, rather than Mac being a superior platform to PC per se. It's pretty sad really that Apple has to resort to these kind of tactics to get people to buy their expensive hardware.

I think this video is quite appropriate :tongue: :

Awhhh yeahhhh, I love that series :lol:
Reply 2993

I think this video is quite appropriate :tongue: :

I don't want to end up looking like a mac fanboy. I've never even owned one. I think you might have just been lucky with the processor you had being a compatible one as it just doesn't even install properly with some.

I kind of want to have a windows laptop because windows is actually my preferred OS which I guess makes me out of place in computer science.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kadux
I don't want to end up looking like a mac fanboy. I've never even owned one. I think you might have just been lucky with the processor you had being a compatible one as it just doesn't even install properly with some.

It could be that processors known to be not used in Macs are blacklisted, but again that is a completely artificial impediment (for which a workaround should be possible).

Original post by Kadux
I kind of want to have a windows laptop because windows is actually my preferred OS which I guess makes me out of place in computer science.

Not at all. There is not really that much of platform snobbery among the compscis although if you use a Mac then you should expect to be poked fun at occasionally :tongue:
Original post by ElMoro
Well done :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo: :jive:
Oh wow, my sentence was a bit illiterate there. I meant to say, I might decide on going for a gap year. I want to se the world, do volunterring for charity, etc. :yep:
Is there not anyway you could get out of applied? If all else fails, you could self-teach and slyly get your exams officer to enter you for medical at the last minute :teehee:
Yeah, um, results aren't really that good at my college and physics isn't that popular anyway (we had 15 peeps in AS) so a lot of people are dropping physics or resitting y12 :dontknow:

Talking about being scared, I'm also scared of losing touch with all my friends. I've already realised there's so many people I've drifted apart from :frown: :frown:

Glad you've enjoyed yourself :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
I'd love to have a gap year (pretty much for the same reasons, it'd be ideal to volunteer for a charity abroad or something, to combine them both) but I might do it after university.
Well everyone in the year will be doing applied so I wouldn't get any help, and my teacher (providing I get the same teacher I had this year) is amazing and would teach it much better than I'd teach myself medical. :tongue: Plus physics is my extra subject anyway, so to then self teach a module might be hard work - I'll only have 5 frees a week next year, and some might be taken up with helping out in year 7 classes or driving lessons etc.
Aw, well that just makes your results even more impressive. :biggrin:

I found it easier to keep up with my friends in year 12 (I kind of moved friendship group, don't know if that affected it) with frees etc. But I know what you mean, and in the run up to exams it can be really hard to keep in touch. My best friend is applying for medicine and works seriously hard (even by TSR standards :tongue:) and I haven't spoken to her (apart from for a minute on results day) for months. She's been so busy with UKCAT prep and work experience and prereading for school that she hasn't even got time to text or anything. :/ But it's been kind of similar all year, because we're not in any of the same classes, so it's been hard to catch up.

Spoiler

Original post by --emma--
Thanks! :smile:
I'd love to have a gap year (pretty much for the same reasons, it'd be ideal to volunteer for a charity abroad or something, to combine them both) but I might do it after university.
Well everyone in the year will be doing applied so I wouldn't get any help, and my teacher (providing I get the same teacher I had this year) is amazing and would teach it much better than I'd teach myself medical. :tongue: Plus physics is my extra subject anyway, so to then self teach a module might be hard work - I'll only have 5 frees a week next year, and some might be taken up with helping out in year 7 classes or driving lessons etc.
Aw, well that just makes your results even more impressive. :biggrin:

I found it easier to keep up with my friends in year 12 (I kind of moved friendship group, don't know if that affected it) with frees etc. But I know what you mean, and in the run up to exams it can be really hard to keep in touch. My best friend is applying for medicine and works seriously hard (even by TSR standards :tongue:) and I haven't spoken to her (apart from for a minute on results day) for months. She's been so busy with UKCAT prep and work experience and prereading for school that she hasn't even got time to text or anything. :/ But it's been kind of similar all year, because we're not in any of the same classes, so it's been hard to catch up.

Spoiler

My friend is doing a gap year in Australia next year! :smile:
Reply 2997
St Johns or Emma for Cambridge? :colonhash:
Original post by CD315
St Johns or Emma for Cambridge? :colonhash:

Oxford. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Reply 2999
Original post by berryripple
Oxford. :colonhash:

Spoiler