The Student Room Group

Remark or not to remark that is the question :p

Hey guys basically im stuck whether I should remark or not...Im in year 10 currently year 11 in september and I got my science core results: OCR Gateway btw :smile:

1st test = A* 126/140 UMS
2nd test = A* 144/160 UMS
c/w = A 84/100 UMS

TOTAL = 354/400 UMS which is 6 UMS Marks off an A* ( 3 raw marks )

Would it be worth it remarking or not...I mean I really want that A* and Im hoping to do medicine :smile:

Thanks guys :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's highly unlikely to go up by 6 UMS - that's quite a lot. If it was an essay style paper this may be achievable, however from my experience I would not expect a Science paper to increase considerably.

However, after all its your money - so if you've got a spare £50 : why not?
Original post by et cetera
I think it's highly unlikely to go up by 6 UMS - that's quite a lot. If it was an essay style paper this may be achievable, however from my experience I would not expect a Science paper to increase considerably.

However, after all its your money - so if you've got a spare £50 : why not?

Aahh right....because I just need 3 raw marks of my c/w to get the A* ??
Money isnt my problem I dont mind paying £50 :smile:
Thank You! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Well if money is no problem - you may as well go for it, you have nothing to lose except your money.
Well if money is no problem - you may as well go for it, you have nothing to lose except your money.

Yeah I Guess....but would I have to pay £50 for the whole GCSE or £50 for the just 1 unit ?? :colondollar:

Reply 5
I wouldn't bother about it, I've seen people achieve medicine on B grades so I wouldn't worry about it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by _Shmiley
I wouldn't bother about it, I've seen people achieve medicine on B grades so I wouldn't worry about it.

Really! Did they get into any Russel Group Uni's??? :smile: Im so stubborn though and Im hoping to get into grammar college and so I kinda need the A* to be in with a chance :smile:
Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I think someone doing medicine with a B grade is an exception, not the norm.

You would probably have to pay x amount for each unit. Can you even get coursework re-marked?
Reply 8
Original post by foreverstrong_97
Really! Did they get into any Russel Group Uni's??? :smile: Im so stubborn though and Im hoping to get into grammar college and so I kinda need the A* to be in with a chance :smile:
Thank you! :biggrin:

They got into kings who I don't think are really bothered about GCSE they're studying pharmacology and molecular genetics ATM so they're pretty happy :smile:

Reply 9

You would probably have to pay x amount for each unit. Can you even get coursework re-marked?

Im just saying if they can get a B I don't think 6 marks off an A* over all is going to be a horror to them.

So I would have to pay £50 for each unit! :frown: Im not sure...hopefully I can :smile:
They got into kings who I don't think are really bothered about GCSE they're studying pharmacology and molecular genetics ATM so they're pretty happy :smile:

Aww that's good and yeah I would be happy if I Got into King's as it is a russel group uni :smile: Oooh are they doing pharmacy :colondollar:

Hey guys basically im stuck whether I should remark or not...Im in year 10 currently year 11 in september and I got my science core results: OCR Gateway btw :smile:

1st test = A* 126/140 UMS
2nd test = A* 144/160 UMS
c/w = A 84/100 UMS

TOTAL = 354/400 UMS which is 6 UMS Marks off an A*

Would it be worth it remarking or not...I mean I really want that A* and Im hoping to do medicine :smile:

Thanks guys :biggrin:

Hey :smile: long time 'ey

Anyways, what I'd say is avoid remarking, especially coursework, because chances are, that in a science GCSE, you won't really go up by many marks at all. If anything, I'd say retake an exam, that way, its easier to improve your marks. But saying that, its not essential to get an A* in every science subject to be admitted into medicine, its really all about A-levels, personal statements, w/e & volunteering work. As long as you cover the basis of the basic medical student, then a very high A won't really affect you. Just work harder now in year 11, to get high grades in your English exams, and any other science exams you may have. Btw, this is coming from someone who got an AA*A* in biology, chemistry, physics respectively, and I was 2ums off an A* in biology, but I'm not stressed about it. I'm sure if I get an A at AS biology, then it'll make up for the lack of the *. Don't stress about it at all :smile: you'll be fine!
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Hey :smile: long time 'ey

Anyways, what I'd say is avoid remarking, especially coursework, because chances are, that in a science GCSE, you won't really go up by many marks at all. If anything, I'd say retake an exam, that way, its easier to improve your marks. But saying that, its not essential to get an A* in every science subject to be admitted into medicine, its really all about A-levels, personal statements, w/e & volunteering work. As long as you cover the basis of the basic medical student, then a very high A won't really affect you. Just work harder now in year 11, to get high grades in your English exams, and any other science exams you may have. Btw, this is coming from someone who got an AA*A* in biology, chemistry, physics respectively, and I was 2ums off an A* in biology, but I'm not stressed about it. I'm sure if I get an A at AS biology, then it'll make up for the lack of the *. Don't stress about it at all :smile: you'll be fine!

Hey! :biggrin: yep long time no see :wink:

I really dont want to resit an exam Ive finished core..remarking is my only choice.....but Im likely just to let it go :smile: Ahh ok yeah I guess A levels are more important :smile: Congratulations on your gcse's results :biggrin: Yeaah you will you sound smaart :wink: Are you a hopeful medic too :smile: Aww thank you! :biggrin: Good luck to you too :biggrin:
Reply 14
Aww that's good and yeah I would be happy if I Got into King's as it is a russel group uni :smile: Oooh are they doing pharmacy :colondollar:

Yeah and they're do all about the genes and stuff, which is pretty cool I guess, I'm not into all medicine and stuff, I hate needles and completely phobic of sick and stuff, plus not smart enough :L

Yeah and they're do all about the genes and stuff, which is pretty cool I guess, I'm not into all medicine and stuff, I hate needles and completely phobic of sick and stuff, plus not smart enough :L

OOoooh sounds cool :wink: Awww right.....I've always wanted to be a doctor since I was little :colondollar:...What you into then.. :wink: Aww no im sure you are smart :yep:
Reply 16
OOoooh sounds cool :wink: Awww right.....I've always wanted to be a doctor since I was little :colondollar:...What you into then.. :wink: Aww no im sure you are smart :yep:

More arts and stuff. Im doing A levels in law, psychology, history and photography. I've been selling my photography for 2 years now and made a bit of money with it, so I must be doing okay haha :smile: would love to go to ulster uni to do photography, Ireland is so heartbreaking, such a beautiful place.

More arts and stuff. Im doing A levels in law, psychology, history and photography. I've been selling my photography for 2 years now and made a bit of money with it, so I must be doing okay haha :smile: would love to go to ulster uni to do photography, Ireland is so heartbreaking, such a beautiful place.

Oooh same I love art but Im so stubborn coz I need it to be perfect Im impatient so it wouldnt work :wink: Aww that's good ..... if your getting money of course you are!! :biggrin: Ahhh right Im sure you'll get in ...Ive never been to Ireland so I wouldnt know how it is :colondollar:
Hey! :biggrin: yep long time no see :wink:

I really dont want to resit an exam Ive finished core..remarking is my only choice.....but Im likely just to let it go :smile: Ahh ok yeah I guess A levels are more important :smile: Congratulations on your gcse's results :biggrin: Yeaah you will you sound smaart :wink: Are you a hopeful medic too :smile: Aww thank you! :biggrin: Good luck to you too :biggrin:

Ahh I see. I really doubt that in a science exam, your marks will increase by 6ums, so it'll just be a waste. Besides an A in core is good. It's additional science that you have to focus on getting an A* in, because core isn't as fundamentally science based as additional.
Thanks, I was really happy when I got them :biggrin:. But next year, I'm sure your gonna get better than me!
I hope I'm smart :tongue:, lol, I just work really hard in & out of lessons. & yeah, I'd love to study medicine.
No problem whatsoever :wink: & thanks :biggrin:. I'm sure you'll do good.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Ahh I see. I really doubt that in a science exam, your marks will increase by 6ums, so it'll just be a waste. Besides an A in core is good. It's additional science that you have to focus on getting an A* in, because core isn't as fundamentally science based as additional.
Thanks, I was really happy when I got them :biggrin:. But next year, I'm sure your gonna get better than me!
I hope I'm smart :tongue:, lol, I just work really hard in & out of lessons. & yeah, I'd love to study medicine.
No problem whatsoever :wink: & thanks :biggrin:. I'm sure you'll do good.

Yeah that's what everyone is saying ...except my mum :colondollar: :rolleyes: Yeah but I want to apply for grammar colleges and they have stiff competition I wont be in with a chance to get in with an A! :frown:
Awww that's ggoood :wink: What did you got again I forgot I know you got AA*AA* basically your science and english :tongue:
Yeah you are :wink: I dont work hard enough I guess that why I didnt do so well :colondollar:
Aww cool same I so badly want to do medicine by cousin was hoping but then she got BBCc in her A levels and now she's doing Biomedical science at Queen Mary's :tongue:
Hahha you welcome :wink: Aww thaank You! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest