The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Do most people have jobs, or wouldn't you advise that? I'm going to be doing speech sciences and they keep warning us that it's really intense and that we have to be 100% committed, so i'm not sure if I should think about getting a job.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 721
Original post by juliewho
Do most people have jobs, or wouldn't you advise that? I'm going to be doing speech sciences and they keep warning us that it's really intense and that we have to be 100% committed, so i'm not sure if I should think about getting a job.

The university don't advise you work more than 16 hours a week. Medics are meant to be 100% dedicated as well, but I know a lot of them work at the Union & stuff. If you don't work though, don't just spend all your time doing speech sciences! Make some time to have some fun too! You'll never be as free as you are at uni! :smile:
Original post by Bobbler
The university don't advise you work more than 16 hours a week. Medics are meant to be 100% dedicated as well, but I know a lot of them work at the Union & stuff. If you don't work though, don't just spend all your time doing speech sciences! Make some time to have some fun too! You'll never be as free as you are at uni! :smile:

There are absolutely loads of things I want to try out and join alongside my degree, which is why i'm a bit worried about adding a job on top of everything else :tongue:. Are jobs at the union easy to come by? I found some Christmas temping jobs for 8-12 hours at Meadowhall, and I live close to Sheffield so i'm able to work through the holiday - I was thinking I could apply for these and then if I can't balance everything sufficiently, it's only until the New Year. Or maybe I could just wait and see how the workload is, but then all the temping jobs will have gone. Ah decisions. :redface:
Original post by ellie.flowers
Hi i'm sorry if someone has already asked the question but i dont have time to trawl through all of the previous posts.

I'm starting in September and I know a couple of people i have met that will be in my flat and they are buying the 2 week freshers ticket which is £40. From past experience would you recommend that this is a good idea? as i'm worried that if i don't get it i will miss out on the events if they become sold out but i don't want to spend £40 on a ticket that i will not make good use of.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Is it a union ticket or a sheffparties one? They'll never sell out of tickets for events at the union before freshers starts, I'd get tickets for Freshers Mania on the Friday if you wanted to go to that (if it's even on this year), it's always super busy.

In my opinion those tickets are just a way of making you give all your money to one company during freshers week, so I've never been interested in them... freshers is about getting to know Sheffield, I'd definitely suggest going out and trying a load of new places to your flatmates! There's nothing particularly special about freshers events except higher drinks prices and bigger queues, so I'd definitely suggest holding fire on getting overarching tickets until you've had a chance to explore a bit better. :smile:
Original post by youareinvited
Is it a union ticket or a sheffparties one? They'll never sell out of tickets for events at the union before freshers starts, I'd get tickets for Freshers Mania on the Friday if you wanted to go to that (if it's even on this year), it's always super busy.

In my opinion those tickets are just a way of making you give all your money to one company during freshers week, so I've never been interested in them... freshers is about getting to know Sheffield, I'd definitely suggest going out and trying a load of new places to your flatmates! There's nothing particularly special about freshers events except higher drinks prices and bigger queues, so I'd definitely suggest holding fire on getting overarching tickets until you've had a chance to explore a bit better. :smile:

The one that a few of my flat mates got was the sheff parties one. Thanks very much that has definitely put my mind at ease :smile: and also i suppose not everyone in my flat will get these tickets so i won't be the only one.
thanks again
Reply 725
Original post by lizolove
No. Depending on where you live though, you may find it useful.
Most places are within walking distance, even the city centre, so you often don't even need a bus. As a student, buses are 60p, so it's cheaper to get them than the tram. You won't get your money's worth I don't think.
Trams are about £1.90, and £3.70 there and back from Meadowhall. The only reason I'd buy a tram pass would be if I had a job there personally, otherwise, it's a waste. The tram basically does a similar route to the bus, so you may as well stick to the bus. Also, the train is £2 (without a railcard) to Meadowhall, so significantly cheaper than the tram.

Hope this helps.

Original post by Bobbler
I don't use the bus or tram often enough for it to really make a difference. If you're only going to use the tram to go to Meadowhall or Hillsborough it's probably not worth it. Especially as you can get a 60p bus to Hillsborough anyway :smile:, for me I just wouldn't do it.

Buses are 60p on most student routes & people don't really use the tram enough for it to be worth it (tram is like £1.50?)

Cheers for that guys, makes sense to wait until I get there :smile:

Also, are you able to shed any light on the (avg) amount of cupboard space you get in the kitchens at Endcliffe? Thanks.
What colour are the rooms in derwent? And it said online 'no rice cookers', do people still take them? Cheers.
Reply 727
Original post by pretzl.logic
What colour are the rooms in derwent? And it said online 'no rice cookers', do people still take them? Cheers.

rice cookers, as in conventional types are banned as per the fire safety video in the e-induction page. But when i mailed the office, they said, slow cookers (otherwise known as electric/automatic rice cookers) are allowed in uni acc. But they advised against using that, since such slow cookers trip the fuses it seems.... these are their words.... But i think most rice dishes can be made without a cooker..... i found ways, hence m telling. Cant say for sure abt all rice dishes :smile:
Reply 728

The idea is that they are the most harmful thing to take. I think people still do though. If there was a fire that originated from it though, you may get into trouble, as insurance may not cover it. Generally, forbidden items are still taken in, but at your own risk. Although, from experience, it's not usually strict. My flatmate had a full-on fridge in her room and nobody said a thing about it. :smile:
Reply 729
Original post by jhold
Cheers for that guys, makes sense to wait until I get there :smile:

Also, are you able to shed any light on the (avg) amount of cupboard space you get in the kitchens at Endcliffe? Thanks.

It depends on how many are in your flat and your flat type.

I was in a deluxe/en-suite mixed, and there were 5 of us, and two massive under the sink cupboards (about 1 metre across by half a metre), 5 draws or so. Some small cupboards above the cooker. It was enough space, but I guess it depends on if your flatmates use the space.

There is always room though, whether it be in your room (under your bed, on your shelf etc), or on top of the fridge in the kitchen.
The larger the flat, also, the more cupboards, but there is a significant amount of space. If you buy things in bulk, I would recommend taking small containers to put small amounts in though, so you don't take up loads of space in the kitchen. :smile:
Reply 730
I was looking at the term dates for Sheffield, and I was just wondering on the last week of term in December would it cause a problem if I missed it. Long story short, I might have to return back to Hong Kong at a specific date, which I can't really do much about.

Thanks
Reply 731

Also, not sure. I think it may depend on blocks.

I am about 90% sure it's red.
Reply 732
Original post by SCheng
I was looking at the term dates for Sheffield, and I was just wondering on the last week of term in December would it cause a problem if I missed it. Long story short, I might have to return back to Hong Kong at a specific date, which I can't really do much about.

Thanks

You will only really miss lectures and seminars. If you miss lectures, that's your own risk, and you will have to get notes from friends or whatever. You cannot miss seminars however. If you have them, the university will only allow an authorised absence from seminars in strict circumstances (illness, funeral maybe), and going home early without one is not tolerated. I don't think it is strict for UK students, but for international students, they record your absences, so it can be problematic.

If it is a religious purpose or whatever, I'd recommend speaking to somebody about it (you should get a personal tutor in your first week), and you can probably get it authorised.

Hope this helps.
Original post by pradeep
rice cookers, as in conventional types are banned as per the fire safety video in the e-induction page. But when i mailed the office, they said, slow cookers (otherwise known as electric/automatic rice cookers) are allowed in uni acc. But they advised against using that, since such slow cookers trip the fuses it seems.... these are their words.... But i think most rice dishes can be made without a cooker..... i found ways, hence m telling. Cant say for sure abt all rice dishes :smile:

Thanks Ill look into that :smile:

Original post by lizolove
The idea is that they are the most harmful thing to take. I think people still do though. If there was a fire that originated from it though, you may get into trouble, as insurance may not cover it. Generally, forbidden items are still taken in, but at your own risk. Although, from experience, it's not usually strict. My flatmate had a full-on fridge in her room and nobody said a thing about it. :smile:

Thanks! Might sneak it then :P
Reply 734
If you stay at Ranmoor is it sensible to get a job in the city centre or is it really far away how long on average does it take the travel from the village to the high street shops does anyone know?
Reply 735
Original post by kolivia
If you stay at Ranmoor is it sensible to get a job in the city centre or is it really far away how long on average does it take the travel from the village to the high street shops does anyone know?

Ranmoor isn't too far from the city centre. It's about 30-40 minutes walking, and 60p (10 minutes) on the bus.
I assume the university don't take lightly to the use of sites like MegaVideo (or similar as that's now closed down) through the internet provided in your accommodation?
Reply 737
Original post by pcorbett94
I assume the university don't take lightly to the use of sites like MegaVideo (or similar as that's now closed down) through the internet provided in your accommodation?

My flatmate watched things like that and wasn't caught. I think it's more of a matter for the governmental departments when you watch illegal movies etc, rather than the university.
Things could be different though. You should sign up to Netflix, it's legal that way. :smile:
Reply 738
Original post by pcorbett94

They don't give a crap. I streamed stuff all year & nothing happened :P I watched live TV without a licence as well. Rebel :wink:
Original post by Bobbler
They don't give a crap. I streamed stuff all year & nothing happened :P I watched live TV without a licence as well. Rebel :wink:

This is good news. I hate waiting for TV shows to be aired in the UK, especially when they're on cable TV which I won't be able to afford.