The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've only just realised I no longer seem to ever get stitches from running, that's pretty cool
Ran sat - about 10k then again ran today the same route, though tried to speed up and down. Need to do more proper HIIT as don't think I run nearly as fast or as hard as I should.
Reply 5642
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
I'm doing it too! What week are you on? I've got Week 2 Day 1 today - last week was okay, tbh. What's your pace like? Do you know what it's meant to be? Mine's between 7 to 9 minutes per mile, not sure if that's good or bad.

Breathing's been a massive problem to me as well. My legs have been fine so far (probably as I'm only running 2ish miles) but I've really struggled with me breathing, I presume it'll get better though.

Hey, I'm on week 4. I was progressing a lot until week 4 but then I found a course closer to my house which is constantly uphill so I've been stuck on week 4 for about two weeks now.

Not sure what my pace is, haven't really thought about measuring it at all.

My breathing naturally got better as I was doing the program and now I can run far further. What's best though is that your recovery time improves significantly throughout the program so the breaks you have become better and better.

btw I just went for my run an hour ago, it was great, although no runner's high :frown:

Edit: just found a map measuring tool. Including my walking times, my average is 12 mins per mile. I think with just running, my average speed is 10 mins per mile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cyfer
Hey, I'm on week 4. I was progressing a lot until week 4 but then I found a course closer to my house which is constantly uphill so I've been stuck on week 4 for about two weeks now.

Not sure what my pace is, haven't really thought about measuring it at all.

My breathing naturally got better as I was doing the program and now I can run far further. What's best though is that your recovery time improves significantly throughout the program so the breaks you have become better and better.

btw I just went for my run an hour ago, it was great, although no runner's high :frown:

Naturally uphill's gonna be considerably harder. Why not just return to your previous route?

I've got an app that measures my pace and distance etc. - quite useful, I think. It can be a little demoralising at times, though.

I'm actually really looking forward to week 9. It'd be amazing to run 30 minutes solid.
Was far too hot on my run just. Should have left it for a bit to be honest.
I got to the 2 mile mark and thought I'll stop for a walk for a minute or two, felt light headed and generally crappy as soon as I stopped and had to find some shade to sit/ collapse in lol.

Maybe winter running wont be so bad after all?
Think I'm going to attempt my first run today post blood donation.

Going to attempt a full 5k, but if it doesn't happen/I have a rubbish time then at least I have an excuse :teehee:
Original post by original_username
I got to the 2 mile mark and thought I'll stop for a walk for a minute or two, felt light headed and generally crappy as soon as I stopped and had to find some shade to sit/ collapse in lol.

I am jealous of your hot weather :colone:
Reply 5647
Naturally uphill's gonna be considerably harder. Why not just return to your previous route?

I've got an app that measures my pace and distance etc. - quite useful, I think. It can be a little demoralising at times, though.

I'm actually really looking forward to week 9. It'd be amazing to run 30 minutes solid.

My other run was when I was on holiday in a different country for 2 weeks :P

I don't take my phone when I go out running because I get so sweaty that I already have to clean my ipod+earphones after a run. I don't want to ruin my phone like that :frown:

Yeah, 30 minutes will be epic, seeing as when I started off 90seconds was a real struggle for me!

It's good now though, I consider going out for a run as fun, rather than a chore.
Reply 5648
Run a mile or so most days. Ran 5KM today and feel pretty good now, but didn't time it. Maybe I will soon, I want to do the Leeds Park Run when I go to uni in a few weeks and that's 5k so it's practice!
Got lost on my new route, which meant I lost all my km markers, so found it really hard to keep going.

Only managed 4.35k in 27.36, but it was quite hot and I did give blood two days ago!

Thursday better be an improvement!

e: Urrgh so annoyed!! Stopped and walked after that for ~300m, and then ran another 0.42km. If I hadn't stopped walking I would have run 5k! Okay, so it probably would have been around the 30 minute mark, but still!
(edited 11 years ago)
Managed 30 minutes of running today, slowly getting back into the saddle. Did around 6km. Legs now ache.
Reply 5651
So I'm trying to get a good time for a 10k I'm doing next month, around 42-43 mins (I did a 5K in 20:30 or so a few months ago so I think its possible.)
I'm doing a long run 12/14 miles on Sunday, a shorter faster run mid week 8/10 miles. Speedwork is annoying though :angry: thoughts on whether short sprints i.e 400m and 800m or longer intervals 1k or 2k would be more useful?
Original post by cyfer
My other run was when I was on holiday in a different country for 2 weeks :P

I don't take my phone when I go out running because I get so sweaty that I already have to clean my ipod+earphones after a run. I don't want to ruin my phone like that :frown:

Yeah, 30 minutes will be epic, seeing as when I started off 90seconds was a real struggle for me!

It's good now though, I consider going out for a run as fun, rather than a chore.

Ooooh right, fair enough. I don't really have that problem with earphones or phone, haha :tongue:

I'm not quite at the enjoying running part yet, will be soon I suspect. Looking forward to one of those "runners' highs" you speak of. But yeah, I'll be over the moon when I jog 5k straight! After that I'm thinking of doing the bridge to 10k program - that'll be like a lifetime achievement for me :smile: Then I really wanna do a marathon!
Reply 5653
Ooooh right, fair enough. I don't really have that problem with earphones or phone, haha :tongue:

I'm not quite at the enjoying running part yet, will be soon I suspect. Looking forward to one of those "runners' highs" you speak of. But yeah, I'll be over the moon when I jog 5k straight! After that I'm thinking of doing the bridge to 10k program - that'll be like a lifetime achievement for me :smile: Then I really wanna do a marathon!

It will be a few year(s) before you can do a marathon, but keep working at it and it will be possible.
Original post by cyfer
It will be a few year(s) before you can do a marathon, but keep working at it and it will be possible.

Oh I'm only too aware of that. But yeah, it'd be so worth it. I just hope I don't give up along the way.
Reply 5655
Oh I'm only too aware of that. But yeah, it'd be so worth it. I just hope I don't give up along the way.

If you enjoy it, you won't give up. If you see it as a chore, you probably will. Just try to find a really nice route away from traffic and in a quiet area, such as a park.
Original post by original_username

Back when i was 16/17 and had a crazy metabolism, i generally felt the ideal temperature for running (in t-shirt and shorts) was 3'C down to freezing. Harder to avoid injury but the cold was so nice.

Not so true any more though, sadly.
Finally over my ITBS I think. It was as simple as changing my trainers it seems. So happy to be back out running! Only problem now is I've lost so much fitness from injury I'm back to around 24 mins for 5k, probably going to take me forever to get back to around 20 mins :frown:
Reply 5658
Averaged a 7:00min/mile today, on my 7.41 miles trail run. I realise that's probably not fast by most standards but I'm pleased with that, especially given that I was running on a (small) cooked breakfast, which felt horrible the whole way through - never again!
I know I can push myself further - actually can't wait until my next run.

Does anyone know if half-marathons are always/usually road races? I much prefer trails - my shoes are more designed for trails, I like a softer surface, and I prefer the variation.
Reply 5659
How did people track how far they ran before the invention of Apps!? I ask because I don`t have a GPS device or anything!

Latest