The Student Room Group

Biology/ biological sciences applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

It's cool you all learn Biology in awesome classrooms with amazing animals, I'll sit in my living room on the floor with a pen and some paper and post it notes. :wink:

I feel really out of place in this thread lol. xD
Reply 101
Original post by Chelsey20120
It's cool you all learn Biology in awesome classrooms with amazing animals, I'll sit in my living room on the floor with a pen and some paper and post it notes. :wink:

:lol: I'm making it sound much more amazing than it is

No need to feel out of place :hugs:

Ah don't worry, plenty of pheromones to go around :tongue:
Hi, I thought I'd join. :smile: Nice to see some fellow biologists (I have a fair few physicist friends who never hesitate to let me know that biology is a 'lesser science' :tongue:).

I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, UCL, two courses at Durham (Natural Sciences and Biological Sciences) and Exeter. :smile:

Any other OCR biologists?
Reply 104
Original post by --emma--
Hi, I thought I'd join. :smile: Nice to see some fellow biologists (I have a fair few physicist friends who never hesitate to let me know that biology is a 'lesser science' :tongue:).

I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, UCL, two courses at Durham (Natural Sciences and Biological Sciences) and Exeter. :smile:

Any other OCR biologists?

:hi:

Welcome to the thread :biggrin:
Hey Emma! And Gem and Blob I love you both lol, thank you! :biggrin:

:ahee:
Looking forward to A2s?
Original post by Blob2491
:ahee:
Looking forward to A2s?

I'm only taking AS&A2 Biology, AS Chem and resitting one unit of Psychology. (Actual explanation here because I don't want to spam this thread with slightly OT things. :biggrin:) But yes I'm really looking forward to it! :biggrin:

You? :smile:
Reply 108
I'm only taking AS&A2 Biology, AS Chem and resitting one unit of Psychology. (Actual explanation here because I don't want to spam this thread with slightly OT things. :biggrin:) But yes I'm really looking forward to it! :biggrin:

Sounds similar to me (in a very slight way :tongue:)

We shall strive through AS chem+ A2 biology together :woo:

Ah wow, excellent grades considering you self taught the modules!
Which exam boards are you with?

Yeah definitely! I'm just not looking forward to the AQA exams :unimpressed:
Original post by lilGem

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by lilGem
Sounds similar to me (in a very slight way :tongue:)

We shall strive through AS chem+ A2 biology together :woo:

We will! :biggrin: I am ridiculously excited. I've been looking at revision guides on amazon already. I'm curious about your story if you don't mind sharing? :smile:

Ah wow, excellent grades considering you self taught the modules!
Which exam boards are you with?

Yeah definitely! I'm just not looking forward to the AQA exams :unimpressed:

Thank you! ^_^

AQA for everything so I'll probably stick to that for Bio and Chem. :smile: Why not looking forward to those exams? You're scaring me now. :P
Reply 112
We will! :biggrin: I am ridiculously excited. I've been looking at revision guides on amazon already. I'm curious about your story if you don't mind sharing? :smile:

I already have my chemistry textbooks and my biology revision guide :dance:

In AS I started off with history, economics, maths, spanish + general (compulsory) by November of AS I was rushed into hospital with kidney failure and was put on dialysis 4 times a week (and remained in hospital for a fortnight) as a result I missed a lot of college going in and out of hospital and I struggled to keep up with work so I dropped maths before the Jan exams. I was ill throughout most of the year with secondary illnesses so did a lot worse than expected in the summer exams and was forced to drop Spanish.

So starting A2 I was left with history, economics and general (so I took up biology AS) I was going to apply for languages but obviously it didn't go as planned and towards the end of AS year I realised how much I loved biology and the sciences which I missed so much in that year.

I had to ask to do a third year- which they let me on straight away: they asked about careers etc and I said I wanted to pursue a degree in biology and now here I am taking A2 biology, AS chemistry (and another AS which I'm yet to find out what it is) and on track to leave college with AAABab :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Thank you! ^_^

AQA for everything so I'll probably stick to that for Bio and Chem. :smile: Why not looking forward to those exams? You're scaring me now. :P

Got Bio and Chem text books + revision guides ready, gonna flick through the next couple of days =]
I have no knowledge of AQA Chem but I'm with AQA for Bio...No matter how well you know the content, you can't get higher than a b if you don't learn the mark scheme. I knew the spec pretty much back to front but because I didn't use past papers that effectively I scraped an a in Unit 1 and got a b for Unit 2...It's a shame because there's so much content and you just want to tell the examiner everything biology related you know but unfortunately that will score you 0 or neutral if your answer is not a replica of the mark scheme answer. The coursework is a little tough as well but as with anything, practice makes perfect. I'm sure you'll do fine though
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lilGem
I already have my chemistry textbooks and my biology revision guide :dance:

In AS I started off with history, economics, maths, spanish + general (compulsory) by November of AS I was rushed into hospital with kidney failure and was put on dialysis 4 times a week (and remained in hospital for a fortnight) as a result I missed a lot of college going in and out of hospital and I struggled to keep up with work so I dropped maths before the Jan exams. I was ill throughout most of the year with secondary illnesses so did a lot worse than expected in the summer exams and was forced to drop Spanish.

So starting A2 I was left with history, economics and general (so I took up biology AS) I was going to apply for languages but obviously it didn't go as planned and towards the end of AS year I realised how much I loved biology and the sciences which I missed so much in that year.

I had to ask to do a third year- which they let me on straight away: they asked about careers etc and I said I wanted to pursue a degree in biology and now here I am taking A2 biology, AS chemistry (and another AS which I'm yet to find out what it is) and on track to leave college with AAABab :smile:

Oh wow bless you that must have been really scary! :frown: Hope you're okay now! Ooooooh have you not picked your other AS yet or are they just giving you what they can fit into your timetable? Good luck, those are AMAZING grades! :biggrin:

Got Bio and Chem text books + revision guides ready, gonna flick through the next couple of days =]
I have no knowledge of AQA Chem but I'm with AQA for Bio...No matter how well you know the content, you can't get higher than a b if you don't learn the mark scheme. I knew the spec pretty much back to front but because I didn't use past papers that effectively I scraped an a in Unit 1 and got a b for Unit 2...It's a shame because there's so much content and you just want to tell the examiner everything biology related you know but unfortunately that will score you 0 or neutral if your answer is not a replica of the mark scheme answer. The coursework is a little tough as well but as with anything, practice makes perfect. I'm sure you'll do fine though

The coursework's what worries me because of being a private candidate and having not done a science experiment in the last 4 years, I really could do with some practice but I don't know if I'm going to get it. :/ Ugh yes my partner did AQA Biology and had the exact same thing, although got an A in the end. Thank you, I hope so, I really really would like an A!
Reply 115
Oh wow bless you that must have been really scary! :frown: Hope you're okay now! Ooooooh have you not picked your other AS yet or are they just giving you what they can fit into your timetable? Good luck, those are AMAZING grades! :biggrin:

It's all good now :smile:

I know it'll be either geography/ environmental science/ psychology :smile:

Thank you :hugs: good luck to you too!

Spoiler

Also heard this is meant to be quite good for chem http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/sci.htm and http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone, I'm new here & also applying for Biology:smile:
Reply 117
Original post by Fortitude

Which universities are you looking at? :smile:

The coursework's what worries me because of being a private candidate and having not done a science experiment in the last 4 years, I really could do with some practice but I don't know if I'm going to get it. :/ Ugh yes my partner did AQA Biology and had the exact same thing, although got an A in the end. Thank you, I hope so, I really really would like an A!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxkcm1hbGlrbmRoc2Jpb3xneDo3MzMzZmFmMGU3YzFk

That site is a little helpful. The coursework is the same really, just get the keywords down...
Original post by Fortitude

Yay more Biologists!
I swear I'm the only guy on this thread :sexface:
I best pray the male:female is the same at uni

Quick Reply