The Student Room Group

Private candidates for a levels

Is anyone doing self study for a levels and what subjects are you doing? And how do you manage your time? Hope to get a reply thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Original post by superglow12
Is anyone doing self study for a levels and what subjects are you doing? And how do you manage your time? Hope to get a reply thanks!

i'm an external candidate but only to do retakes in my gap year before re-applying for next year
Reply 2
Get used to Youtube. Be super organised. Have a strict plan. Start learning exam technique now.
I'm doing Maths, Physics, Biology.
Reply 3
i am doing three a levels in college and self teaching aqa a level maths.

i have bought the the cgp textbook for C1 and will be getting the M1 and C2 textbooks soon, they are easy to follow and have short exercises to go through and exam style questions. i am using some of my free periods at college to work with others that are doing maths in college and my teachers have said they would be happy to help me when they are free. :smile:

i have also added maths into my college timetable to make it easier to focus on maths at specific times :smile:
Original post by vVShabbaVv
Get used to Youtube. Be super organised. Have a strict plan. Start learning exam technique now.

youtube? :confused:
Reply 5
I'll be resitting a few modules whilst at university, so not much self teaching. More like hardcore re-revision :smile:

Is it best to find a centre to do the exams close to uni or close to home or old sixth form ?
Reply 6
Original post by vVShabbaVv

Wow isn't it difficult to do the practical exams for biology and physics? I wanted to take biology but now I'm starting to think I won't be able to do the coursework :s. I wanted to go college but it's really late now, and the places for my subjects that I wanted to do are full

I'm hoping to do Environmental Studies AS/A2 in one year............. self study.... wish me luck :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by HomeKAZOKU
I'm hoping to do Environmental Studies AS/A2 in one year............. self study.... wish me luck :s-smilie:

Good luck! I'm sure you can do it!!

Can someone advise me how to become a private candidate :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ArabellaBellucci
Can someone advise me how to become a private candidate :smile:

Choose the subjects you want to do, and what exam boards you want to do and then e.g. If its aqa you go on the aqa website where it says private candidates and it will guide you. You just look up a centre near you and ring them and they'll tell you if you'll be able to do it there and how much each exam will cost.

Original post by superglow12
Choose the subjects you want to do, and what exam boards you want to do and then e.g. If its aqa you go on the aqa website where it says private candidates and it will guide you. You just look up a centre near you and ring them and they'll tell you if you'll be able to do it there and how much each exam will cost.

Oooo ok pretty simple then :tongue: thank you! :smile:
Reply 12
i'm planning to self teach myself the full maths and chemistry a level this year. i want to sit the exams in june. i'm going to contact my current college and see if i can do it there.
Reply 13
I'm hoping to be a private candidate, English Lit, French and Classical Civilisation with OCR as at the age of 20 was deemed too old for a-levels by a college who has courses for mature students :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest