The Student Room Group

How difficult does this taxation module look to you?

I'm doing PPE but have the option to do this tax module. All my modules for next year that I've chosen are essay based, including a dissertation and an all-coursework module, so an exam-based maths module would probably be a nice change. However, I have never done any accounting modules before and know nothing about accounting. Would I be able to get a high 2.1/first?

Here is the syllabus:

Spoiler

Reply 1
It looks insanely boring. I can tell you that much.
Reply 2
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 3
Please help I really don't know whether to pick this module or not. Thank you!
Hey

Sorry for the late reply, although some years ago now, I did tax modules in my accountancy degree.

The formulaic approach to computations of tax makes it a practical area to do and get good marks.

It's not massively exciting as a course but it is useful to understand even from your own personal viewpoint when your earning.

It helps to be reasonably good at Maths obviously and to be pretty methodical but if this is the case it could be a good option.

Anyway best of luck whatever you decide

:wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by According to Pete
Hey

Sorry for the late reply, although some years ago now, I did tax modules in my accountancy degree.

The formulaic approach to computations of tax makes it a practical area to do and get good marks.

It's not massively exciting as a course but it is useful to understand even from your own personal viewpoint when your earning.

It helps to be reasonably good at Maths obviously and to be pretty methodical but if this is the case it could be a good option.

Anyway best of luck whatever you decide

:wink:

Thanks for the reply :smile:

To be honest, none of the economics side of my degree is exciting so how interesting I'll find it is not really something I'm bothered about. I'm ok at Maths but definitely stronger with words than numbers... I just quite like how it's 100% maths exam and just one lecture a week, whereas all my other modules are heavy on coursework and essays in exams, with seminars as well as lectures.

Is there anything actually mathematically hard? I was assuming that it would just be simple maths like finding percentages etc.
There's a fair bit of learning of pro formas and following through the calculations which are often percentages.

I'm sure you could handle it, and your right its a nice change if you are doing lots of coursework based bits.

Glad I have responded in time to assist at least a little.

It looks quite exciting to me... But then I chose tax as one of my options this year :colondollar:
How did it go or are you not underway yet ?

Are you studying a full accounting degree?

Original post by lil sister

Is there anything actually mathematically hard? I was assuming that it would just be simple maths like finding percentages etc.
Nothing in Tax is that mathematically hard, any of the formulas will be sub-gcse complexity. There's quite broad coverage there so I'm not sure how deep they'll go on anything, without that it's hard to say how difficult exactly it's going to be. The fundamentals of tax aren't conceptually hard, it's really just quantity that kills you, but I imagine they'll keep it pretty simple.

There is the slight issue of you presumably not having an accounting background, but again I reckon they'll just make it super-simple so that that isn't an issue.
How did it go or are you not underway yet ?

Are you studying a full accounting degree?

Haven't done it yet, chose it as one of my 2nd year units for this September. I'm studying 'accounting with finance'.
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Haven't done it yet, chose it as one of my 2nd year units for this September. I'm studying 'accounting with finance'.

That's great I hope it's going really well it's a good course eh?

1st year for me was a bit all over with more general modules but year 2 onwards is much more focused :smile:

Where u studying?

That's great I hope it's going really well it's a good course eh?

1st year for me was a bit all over with more general modules but year 2 onwards is much more focused :smile:

Where u studying?

Portsmouth, love the uni and the course is really good as well. Most of the business school does a common first year so did a bit of organisational behaviour, bus. law and economics as well as accounting topics ... I prefer the maths side of things though so looking forward to second year!
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Portsmouth, love the uni and the course is really good as well. Most of the business school does a common first year so did a bit of organisational behaviour, bus. law and economics as well as accounting topics ... I prefer the maths side of things though so looking forward to second year!

Yep sounds like my year one. Was interesting but focusing in on the core elements of accountancy in Years 2 & 3 was certainly my preference.

Portsmouth is a city centre uni isn't which is nice as you can mix being part of the student community with access to the city and the shops.

Well I'm glad your enjoying it, keep in touch and let us know how year 2 goes. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending