The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by lollymc
I'm so worried about applying for med school.

A girl last year who was applying had done all the necessary work experience, had great GCSEs, a good personal statement, great UKCAT score, awesome A-level predictions, AND 3A*s at the end ... and yet three med schools still rejected her :s She ended up at Cambridge so that's amazing but still...how can med schools reject students predicted three A*s.

I'm only predicted 3As which makes me terrified :frown:

Because it's not all about the grades.
Reply 121
Hi,
My sister got her AS results back and got 2 A's, a B, and a C.
She's got high predicted grades for her A2's and was wondering where she should apply for medicine?
Her A's were in Maths and Bio.
B in Chem. a C in English lit.

Thanks! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 122
If you see my signature I have got a couple of A*s 5 A's I think and 2 C's 1D and 1E.

I've always wanted to be a doctor and I'm retaking both English' with a better state of mind so I think I'd get a couple of Bs and all I'll have is an E in Graphics (I don't know why I did it, it was the school not allowing me to drop it).

I've changed schools and I have quite a lot of work experience and I've just started sixth form! I'm aiming for AAAA on Maths/Bio/Chem/French.

I hated my GCSE days and thought it was a real drag to my education and even to my future prospects :'(

Are there any med schools out there (like BSMS) that concentrate on AS/A2s more than silly GCSEs?
Because it's getting to that point where I might cheat and not put the E on UCAS -_-
Reply 123
Just don't declare that grade.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What are the D and Cs in?
(edited 11 years ago)
You have declare all achieved grades, including your E unfortunately.

However, I don't think it will impact your application very much, as long as you avoid gcse hungry uni's such as birmingham, oxford, bristol, etc.
:smile:

As long as you get at least A2 predictions of AAA, you should still be in with a chance!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by iSoftie
If you see my signature I have got a couple of A*s 5 A's I think and 2 C's 1D and 1E.

I've always wanted to be a doctor and I'm retaking both English' with a better state of mind so I think I'd get a couple of Bs and all I'll have is an E in Graphics (I don't know why I did it, it was the school not allowing me to drop it).

I've changed schools and I have quite a lot of work experience and I've just started sixth form! I'm aiming for AAAA on Maths/Bio/Chem/French.

I hated my GCSE days and thought it was a real drag to my education and even to my future prospects :'(

Are there any med schools out there (like BSMS) that concentrate on AS/A2s more than silly GCSEs?
Because it's getting to that point where I might cheat and not put the E on UCAS -_-

I know someone of someone who got like D in graphics or imedia or something, and he is now doing med at newcastle.
Reply 127
Original post by Waitingname
What are the D and Cs in?

D in english literature (but I slept through every class really) C in English language (the grades in Y10 really affect my As/Bs in Y11).
C in History (D in Unit 1 at Y10 and As on coursewrok and unit 2 lol gutted).
Original post by iSoftie
D in english literature (but I slept through every class really) C in English language (the grades in Y10 really affect my As/Bs in Y11).
C in History (D in Unit 1 at Y10 and As on coursewrok and unit 2 lol gutted).

I don't see how a D can drag two As down to a C? It'd be a B surely?
Reply 129
Original post by Miracle Day
I don't see how a D can drag two As down to a C? It'd be a B surely?

Weightings :angry:
Reply 130
Original post by senz72
Forget the E, your English language grade may be the one that costs you. Maybe try to improve that?

Yes I'm retaking it completely.
Reply 131
Original post by iSoftie
Yes I'm retaking it completely.

Sorry. I made a mistake in not reading your post properly!
Hello, I got BBC at A levels this year - my hope for medicine literally shattered. However, I see that Liverpool accept CCC and let you do retakes in the 3rd year so long as you have extenuating circumstances? I have issues... but it's not strong enough for a reason I think. This is also the same with Exeter. I don't have a 4th AS level at B however, I have a C and an E, which means this could be a problem with Liverpool.

I know you'll see me as some fool who should give up with medicine completely, I evidently don't appear smart enough, but I've had a really rough two years. Plus my work experience is... brilliant, so is my voluntary work and extra activity. I know Liverpool love work experience.

Is there even any hope in applying? I'm on my gap year now, so I can easily get my UKCAT and PS and reference done. I'm retaking a fair bit in Jan/June but I really need someone on the outside to look at this and tell me if I'm being a complete fool. I'd plan to apply to Exeter and Liverpool for medicine and then the other 3 places for Biomedicine, hopefully then to do Grad-med. Will this affect my Biomed choices drastically? The last thing I want is to put getting into uni at all next year at risk, I don't think I'm prepared for a 2nd gap year.

Please help.

AM I CRAZY OR NOT?? Please, I feel if I don't apply, I'll regret it for a long, long time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 133
Do you have extenuating circumstances?
Original post by fletchdd02
Do you have extenuating circumstances?

Death in the family. Uncle committed suicide.
I just feel like... this can be the one chance I need to do something that I've always wanted. I sound so naive I know, but I've been waiting for something to open my eyes for a long time now. Even despite my extenuating circumstances, I know it's going to be hard. But if I don't try then I know I'll regret it.

Ughh I only have a month to sort this out as well. Am I crazy. :redface:
Reply 136
Hey guys,

My school are being pretty annoying and are reluctant to predict me an A in chemistry after I got a B at AS (my AS results are AAAB). Having said that, it leaves my predictions at 2A*s and a B with the A*s in Geography and Biology. Would it be wise to still apply with these predictions anyway? Do my A*s compensate for AAA? Any opinions or expert advice would be much appreciated! I'm not ready to let go of my medical dream yet :frown:
Unlikely tbh... but you can give it a try... or try again to presuade the teacher you'll get an A. AND WELCOME TO TSR! :flowers:
Hey, u still do a damn good chance at medicine, get just remember to state that extenuating circumstance in your UCAS application and score big time for your resits, most Unis would still consider you in your situation, just rember to reflect on this in your PS. Don't give up and all the best for applying.(Remember to do something meaningful to med in your gap year!)
Reply 139
Original post by tac995
Hey guys,

My school are being pretty annoying and are reluctant to predict me an A in chemistry after I got a B at AS (my AS results are AAAB). Having said that, it leaves my predictions at 2A*s and a B with the A*s in Geography and Biology. Would it be wise to still apply with these predictions anyway? Do my A*s compensate for AAA? Any opinions or expert advice would be much appreciated! I'm not ready to let go of my medical dream yet :frown:

No, those A* predictions will not compensate for AAA. With medicine you really must get those AAA grades predicted to stand a chance. With your current predictions there are only like one or two medical schools which would consider an application. Try to get those predicted grades if not just take a gap year and reapply.

Latest

Trending

Trending