The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by buthoney
Well Yoshi, Taeacie and I all went to different open days where there were at least 4-5 others. The popularity is really growing :P last few years have only been three or so students I believe

Wow, yes! I think in future years there will be a massive difference!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 741
Original post by wingspari
Hey, I'm going to be applying for K Studies for 2013 too! I have been stalking this thread XD

Woohoo! Potential class mate ;D haha.. I stalked it for ages too before posting hahaha. Do you know of any others who are applying for 2013?
Reply 742
Original post by jade456
Woohoo! Potential class mate ;D haha.. I stalked it for ages too before posting hahaha. Do you know of any others who are applying for 2013?

Yayyy~ We can make our own thread for 2013 soon then ^^
No, but Taece said that there are 2 people on tsr that are applying aswell. :3

Where do you want to go most, Sheffield or SOAS? For me it's Sheffield. Have you been there yet? I haven't :s-smilie:
Reply 743
Original post by jade456
Wow, yes! I think in future years there will be a massive difference!

LOL That's more competition for then though, right?

It sounded nice that the classes for Korean are really small. I guess a bit bigger will be nice aswell :smile:
Reply 744
Like have you guys actually done the module choice through pre registration? Cause although it looks like there's is hundreds of choices when you actually go into pre reg module choice the list is shortened to applicable ones for you, I only had about 6 to chose from so it was pretty easy?
Reply 745
Original post by Roxas
Like have you guys actually done the module choice through pre registration? Cause although it looks like there's is hundreds of choices when you actually go into pre reg module choice the list is shortened to applicable ones for you, I only had about 6 to chose from so it was pretty easy?

Yeah we did it. We found the list of modules they let us do on our course and just chose those from the SEAS department. We left the 20 points to choose the unrestricted next wee- holy hell next week.

6 days until mo- holy

.... dear me
Reply 746
Hello!

Can someone give me the list of recommended reading ,please?
Reply 747
Yayyy~ We can make our own thread for 2013 soon then ^^
No, but Taece said that there are 2 people on tsr that are applying aswell. :3

Where do you want to go most, Sheffield or SOAS? For me it's Sheffield. Have you been there yet? I haven't :s-smilie:

Ahh cool! I want to go to Sheffield, I've heared wonderful things about it sooo... ^^ I've been to Sheffield, i went to the last open day, it's a really nice city; very homely. Lot's of hills, the accommodation is nice too, just out of the city a little and it's quite rural-y. Are you only applying to Sheffield on your application? Because if i put both, i'd put Sheffield as my first choice and SOAS as my insurance which doesn't make sense because the requirements at Sheffield are actually lower... 0.e'' I just feel insecure about only putting one uni in my app.
Reply 748
Original post by Mamonde
Hello!

Can someone give me the list of recommended reading ,please?

'Korea's Place in the Sun'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koreas-Place-Sun-Modern-History/dp/0393327027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345450986&sr=8-1

and

'North Korea - Another Country'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Korea-Another-Bruce-Cumings/dp/156584940X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345451039&sr=8-3

And for registration week, you will need to buy 'Introduction to the Korean Language' which will be £22.00.
Reply 749
Original post by jade456
Ahh cool! I want to go to Sheffield, I've heared wonderful things about it sooo... ^^ I've been to Sheffield, i went to the last open day, it's a really nice city; very homely. Lot's of hills, the accommodation is nice too, just out of the city a little and it's quite rural-y. Are you only applying to Sheffield on your application? Because if i put both, i'd put Sheffield as my first choice and SOAS as my insurance which doesn't make sense because the requirements at Sheffield are actually lower... 0.e'' I just feel insecure about only putting one uni in my app.

I put only sheffield on my app because not only did I not hear anything positive about SOAS, but I knew I couldn't afford to live in London. I just put down two courses for Sheffield and got a conditional for both. I think you'll be fine, but if you really feel insecure, put down both
Reply 750
Original post by buthoney
I put only sheffield on my app because not only did I not hear anything positive about SOAS, but I knew I couldn't afford to live in London. I just put down two courses for Sheffield and got a conditional for both. I think you'll be fine, but if you really feel insecure, put down both

Oh really? I may put down two courses just to be on the safe side, tbh, I've no interest at all at attending SOAS, because i too have rarely heared any positive feedback on it!
Reply 751
I think korean studies is always like the smallest one compared to other east asian subjects, even if it is like 6 this year- it's still much less than japanese etc

but 1 week, less than one week ommmggggg. ;-; I'm really going to miss my dog.. and cat
Reply 752
Original post by taeace
I think korean studies is always like the smallest one compared to other east asian subjects, even if it is like 6 this year- it's still much less than japanese etc

but 1 week, less than one week ommmggggg. ;-; I'm really going to miss my dog.. and cat

I'm going to miss... my cat. And the chinese. Seriously. The town has the best chinese I've ever tasted and their baozi are the best.. the owner knows my order off by heart... and her husband won't give me his baozi recipe .. it sucks XDDDD
Original post by taeace

It'll take some getting used to being able to walk around without my dog almost tripping me up first thing in the morning.
Reply 754
Aww, I know how you guys feel!! I'm leaving behind my pet (bunny) too.. on the plus side, don't have to deal with cleaning his poop. But I am still gonna miss him like crazy.
Reply 755
Original post by jade456

Cool! We really could be classmates then. :biggrin: Oh that's good. I haven't been there yet... Yeah, I'm going to apply for both and Sheffield as my first choice - tho I dunno if I'll even get predicted a AAB, probably ABB, but still gonna apply to SOAS as insurance. Yeah, I know, yet Sheffield sounds much nicer.

Have you done any language gcses/a-levels? I haven't lol ^^' Not required for thes (though preffered).
Reply 756
Original post by jade456
Oh really? I may put down two courses just to be on the safe side, tbh, I've no interest at all at attending SOAS, because i too have rarely heared any positive feedback on it!

True. It's funny that the requirements are higher than Sheffield.
Reply 757
Really? I always thought Sheffield had higher requirements than SOAS so I put them as my second choice back in November because they ask for C level in Maths and English (both of which I don't have) while SOAS doesn't. But then again, I am a National Diploma student so I'm not sure. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 758
Original post by Loretto
Really? I always thought Sheffield had higher requirements than SOAS so I put them as my second choice back in November because they ask for C level in Maths and English (both of which I don't have) while SOAS doesn't. But then again, I am a National Diploma student so I'm not sure. :tongue:

Oh. Sheffield has lover requirments in terms of a-level grades. Oh - aren't you talking about gcse grades - I know nothing about National Diploma ^^'.

Sheffield: ABB
SOAS: AAB

:smile:
Reply 759
Oh. Sheffield has lover requirments in terms of a-level grades. Oh - aren't you talking about gcse grades - I know nothing about National Diploma ^^'.

Sheffield: ABB
SOAS: AAB

:smile:

Wow, I could have sworn they were asking for AAB too but I see that's not the case.
Either way, hope you guys get on this course next year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending