The Student Room Group

Do you love your parents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
what idiot, outside of abuse, does not?

Those who don't love their parents should be thrown to the wolves.
I don't love my parents. They've never been there for me so why should I?
I don't know if I love them. They spent such a long time telling me what a worthless piece of **** I was...
Reply 143
I'm really relieved to find this!

Like you, my parents are pretty flawed, but I know that that's completely normal, and that they've given me so much and have played a part in making me the person I am today

I want to repay them, and am extremely grateful to them, but when I imagine that they've suddenly died, I imagine the aftermath to be similar to what you described. I don't harbour any hatred towards them, and of course I say that I love them, but at the same I just try not to be in the same room as them because it is uncomfortable and they end up being frustrated with me.

I have a completely different attitude towards my best friends and my brother so sometimes I also wonder if I really love them. I'll always be there for them and everything, but I don't tell them much about myself (they don't know what grade I've reached on the piano or about my D of E, or even about who my friends are and where I want to go to uni). I don't really feel like they should come to my wedding when I'm older, because that would be weird...... but I don't know if this is really bad, or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love my mum to bits. My dad is another story. I probably love my dog more than my dad :frown:
As you get older you grow out of saying 'I love you' ...weird..but deep down you know you love your mum and dad dearly and nothing can change that. However I would be very interested to know the psychology or even the biology behind some of the experiences described here and, of course, the ageing bit.
(edited 11 years ago)
hi everyone, i love my parents very much. but i think not the vice versa. they never supported me in any of the ways. they do not know about my feelings and wishes. i am very sad about that. but i could not hate my parents because i know their feelings when they are hated by their children.
I don't think I realised quite how much I loved my dad until he died. I made a conscious effort at the time he was ill to make sure he knew, I told him everytime I saw him, I'd always leave saying I love you, Daddy. So yeah I do love my parents and knowing how heartbroken I was losing my dad, I love my mum even more.
Reply 148
Yes. I love them and my grandparents more than anything. I can talk to my Mum and Grandma about anything and I always do. They have given a good start in life and I will always appreciate them for that, something that there parents couldn't do for them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by katetaylor
I don't love my parents. They've never been there for me so why should I?

:console:
Original post by snowyowl
I don't know if I love them. They spent such a long time telling me what a worthless piece of **** I was...

I think parents who are like that don't really love their children.
Original post by Anonymous

I think parents who are like that don't really love their children.

Agreed :frown:
Yeah I love my parents. I'm a very private, and often distant person and I think they respect that about me, so we don't talk about relationships or those things at all. We do talk a lot about politics, art, current affairs, my studies, etc though.
Reply 153
Yes, even though I'm not vocal about it.
im with you on this one but i can safely say i would give my life for theirs any day
Original post by Anonymous

So don't think you're a bad person, I like to think I'm morally decent so :smile: You don't pick your parents, so don't be obliged to love them just because it's socially acceptable to :smile:
I have exactly the same precise worry. My parents are admirable people who fulfill all their responsibilities as parents in terms of providing me with shelter, food, clothing, security, an education and other stuff. Yet I don' feel this attachment of 'love' to them. To begin with I quite ignorantly believed I did love them just didn't know it as I did not love anybody else at that point so I didn't know what it was meant to feel like and I hoped someday that I would have had an epiphany. However currently I feel love towards other people and I don't feel an inkling of that towards my parents. I am also slightly worried that I may be abnormal.
That way i'm truly blessed to have such wonderful parents. There are a few ups and downs, but family is family. They will always stand by me if anything goes wrong and I will do the same. No matter how much we fight, accuse each other of things, all I know is that when i'll be in trouble, nobody will help me but my parents and sister and brother.
Blessed.
I love my mum to death but I feel nothing for my dad. He was never in my life though he was given the chance. I love my grandparents like my mum and dad. They helped with raising me and I love them with all my heart. I'm as close to them as I am to my mum, maybe even closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps too much. I never say no (providing I see the logic in their point and agree - which is almost all the time) and always take on everything they say. I used to be the opposite a few years ago, but as I get older I realise whatever they say is for my best interest. They've done more for me than most other parents have done for their child, and I'd hate to be non-appreciative, oblivious or ignorant about that fact. Almost everything I do or aim to do is to make them happy, proud and give them the ease and peace in this life that they deserve.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending