Any more medics? :awesome:

Original post by themedicalgeek
Yes :smile:

Me! :^_^:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Socrates_1
Me! :^_^:

Howdy! Where are you staying?
Good luck to everyone starting in Cardiff over the next few weeks. I graduated in Law from Cardiff Uni last year having spent 3 wonderful years in the city.

General info: Cardiff will be the safest city most of you will ever visit. Everybody is so friendly and respectful of students, you will never feel threatened or intimidated in any way. Nightlife is really good with the great advantage of everything being located very close to each other- the only 2 streets you will need are Greyfriars Road and St Mary Street. The walk from Cathays/Roath to the city centre is only 15-20 minutes so no need to waste your tight budgets on taxis every time!

Law specific info: The course is generally well taught. As in all education systems, you'll have some excellent lecturers, some average and some quite awful ones (you'll soon suss this out and be able to avoid the insomnia-curing lectures). Although Cardiff has slipped down the tables a bit in recent years, don't pay too much attention to this; law firms still regard a Cardiff degree as a valuable asset. At the end of the day, academic results will only get you so far. Without wishing to piss on your undoubted enthusiasm as you're about to embark on your Uni life, it must be remembered that the competition for Training Contracts (TC) is unbelievably intense at the moment. Whereas 5 years ago, nearly everybody with a 2.1 law degree were guaranteed a TC; this is no longer the case. You need an excellent CV full of extra-curricular achievements, evidence of leadership/positions of responsibility, proof of commercial awareness, ability to communicate/negotiate effectively...the list could go on ad infinitum.

Hope this hasn't come as a shock to some of you but that's the reality. A law degree, even a 1st class, is by no means an automatic path to the coveted TC. Broaden your horizons and really consider if you want to practise as a lawyer. A law degree provides you with so many transferable skills that are valued by employers, you would be coveted by a wide range of employers in any number of sectors/industries.

For now though, forget all this and get cracking with making the most of the best city in the UK!
Original post by Blackshadow
Howdy! Where are you staying?

Hello! :hello: I'm in Talybont Court House 2. You?
Reply 865
Original post by JLedward
Anyone in Talybont South House 3?

YES
Reply 866
anyyy civil and environmental engineers?
Original post by Mollymw
Me neither! Where are you living?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

talybont south house 21 :smile: you?
Reply 868
Anyone in talybont north house B flat 11??? Or anyone close? Don't know anyone :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EffieFlowers
Anyone doing psychology? :smile:

Btw, I'm from Cardiff and a lot of my friends went to Cardiff Uni last year, all of them said they ended up going to the club nights during freshers for the majority of the time, only went to the SU a couple of times, because they have such amazing club nights in town! I don't know if it's worth buying the wrist band tbh, you may be better off buying a few individual tickets, I dunno :/

im doing psychology too! :biggrin:
Reply 870
Original post by emilysadlerx
talybont south house 21 :smile: you?

I'm living in a house in the student village x

Original post by ORW1993
Hiya... Anyone staying in Cartwright court.. Flat 10? or doing Business Management?:smile:

Not in Cartwright court but I am doing Business Management.
Is there anyone staying in Colum Hall, House 2, first floor, Flat 3? :biggrin:
Reply 873
Original post by Meerish
Tally north house S

Talybont North House T
what course you doing?
Reply 874
Original post by samer
anyyy civil and environmental engineers?

civil engineering here.where are you staying?:smile:
Original post by SarahLloydi
im doing psychology too! :biggrin:

Yayy! Hehe.

Guys I might be a bit behind but have you downloaded the Cardiff learning central app? It seems to have information about our modules and stuff.
Original post by JD_94
I'm doing maths :smile: I'm at Taly Court.

Hi, Im in tally court house 1, flat 1a. Which house and flat are you in?
Reply 877
Original post by hpotter217
Unfortunately 2! Friday at 10.15am, itll all be over :biggrin: x

Hey :smile: how did your exams go after? x
Reply 878
Original post by vaipanel
civil engineering here.where are you staying?:smile:

Heyy! Im living at home how about you?

Reply 879
Original post by camhogg
Talybont North House T