The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Travelling in from the Hamilton area?

Hi guys

I'm trying to work out what's going to be the easiest (or cheapest) way to travel to and from uni each day.

I live in Hamilton, so can easily get a train or bus, but my mum also works in Clydebank, so could travel there with her in the morning and get in from there if that is best?

To complicate it all even more, I work in Halfway (next to Cambuslang) and need to be able to get there after uni some days as well ...

My brain is turning to mush trying to weigh it all up, so any help would be mega appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Hey,

I'm going to be Travelling in too, from motherwell :smile:

From what I've found the SPT Zonecard is our best option, it gets you on all of the buses, trains and the subway from your local Hamilton to Glasgow. A 10 week zonecard for me is £220, for you it might be slightly cheaper since your missing out on a few of the zones that i need.

Hope that helps :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Definitely get a Zonecard, they're extortionate but it's definitely worth it if you're going to be on a train every day.

Original post by stephenmca

I see you're doing CompSci + Maths, were you at the induction this morning? :smile:
Reply 3
WOW, they are expensive ... It does seem worth it but, especially since you can use it for travelling about for stuff other than uni too :/. Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Quintro

I see you're doing CompSci + Maths, were you at the induction this morning? :smile:

Yep i was, i got off the train in Partick at 8.46am and still managed to make it to the induction for 9 lol .. thats my exercise for the week done though :biggrin:

I was nearly falling asleep by the end of the induction lol, didnt really learn anything new either :s-smilie:

What course is it that your doing? we might have the same lecture times :cool:
Reply 5

Yeah the induction was pretty bad, although I shouldn't really have expected much from it really. I had to get the train at 07:57... complete shock to the system.

I'm doing MSci Software Engineering as my degree program, but my courses in first year are Maths 1X (assuming MyCampus would let me enrol in it), Computing Science and Statistics. What are you doing for your 3rd subject?
Reply 6
Original post by Quintro
Yeah the induction was pretty bad, although I shouldn't really have expected much from it really. I had to get the train at 07:57... complete shock to the system.

I'm doing MSci Software Engineering as my degree program, but my courses in first year are Maths 1X (assuming MyCampus would let me enrol in it), Computing Science and Statistics. What are you doing for your 3rd subject?

Yep i got the train at 08:04 too, far too early for me. My first lecture is at 11am each day, so atleast I'll get a lie in usually. I'm doing Economics as my third subject, for the Maths I'm just doing 1R & 1S since I got a B at AH (which I'm appealing). My advisor told me that 1X & 1Y are very difficult and not to chose them :eek:
Reply 7
Yep i got the train at 08:04 too, far too early for me. My first lecture is at 11am each day, so at least I'll get a lie in usually. I'm doing Economics as my third subject, for the Maths I'm just doing 1R & 1S since I got a B at AH (which I'm appealing). My advisor told me that 1X & 1Y are very difficult and not to chose them :eek:

Yeah I spoke to Shazia (the Maths tutor) after the induction today, and she said if you have an A at Advanced Higher and you do 1R/1S you'll find it extremely boring because it's basically just repetition of Advanced Higher. The thing is it's not like I got a comfortable A, it was probably like 1 mark over the boundary or something, so I'm kind of worried about doing 1X but I may as well give it a bash. Do you have Facebook or something? If you want you can PM me your profile and I'll add you on that instead of hijacking this thread any more. :tongue:
Reply 8
take it you dont get a discount on a zone card?

hope you 2 are not taking about maths EE1X. i had no choice but to take that class lol
Reply 9
Original post by chuffy
take it you dont get a discount on a zone card?

hope you 2 are not taking about maths EE1X. i had no choice but to take that class lol

No i don't think you can get a discount for it, I went down to Motherwell station to ask about it today. At least on the bright side we only need 2-3 of the 10 week blocks.

I'm taking maths 1R (semester 1) & 1S (semester 2) which is the easier of the 2 courses. 1X and 1Y are the more advanced ones, which require an A in AH maths, is that what your taking?
Reply 10
No i don't think you can get a discount for it, I went down to Motherwell station to ask about it today. At least on the bright side we only need 2-3 of the 10 week blocks.

I'm taking maths 1R (semester 1) & 1S (semester 2) which is the easier of the 2 courses. 1X and 1Y are the more advanced ones, which require an A in AH maths, is that what your taking?

yeah thats what I'm doing in Mech engineering they were compulsory

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending