The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5180
:smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Femto
Haha don't think I want Bluebell anymore because of how expensive it is!

Oh well, I'm gonna have to deal with it.

I am sure mel3195 would be begging to swap!
Reply 5182
I have an offer from Westwood which was my third choice :smile:
Original post by EE1994
I have an offer from Westwood which was my third choice :smile:

Hi me too!! I wanted ensuite tbh but sure it will be ok!
What are you studying?? :biggrin:
Original post by Mel3195
Westwood offer...not even close to what i wanted :/

Hi i got westwood too! I wanted ensuite :'( Sure it will be ok though :smile:
Reply 5185
Just got Cryfield :frown:. Could anyone tell me what its like? I hear they've got no laundrette service?
Reply 5186
Original post by AwkwardTurtle1
Hi me too!! I wanted ensuite tbh but sure it will be ok!
What are you studying?? :biggrin:

So did I but I'm sure it'll be fine! I've heard everyone comments on how far away we are :P I'm going to be doing law, how about you?
Reply 5187
yea just sucks that we have to share the kitchens and i rly wanted ensuite+flatstyle :/
im going for international business - you? :smile:

EDIT: have to share them with up to 26 - pressed send to early :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aaronbenham
rootes offer :smile: studying maths

Same! I'll be studying Morse.
Original post by EE1994
So did I but I'm sure it'll be fine! I've heard everyone comments on how far away we are :P I'm going to be doing law, how about you?

I watched that vid on youtube of the walk from Westwood to Central Campus and tbh doesn't look that bad :smile: Also, i think it just seems far cos Warwick is quite a small/tightly packed uni- would be pretty standard at other unis.

I'm studying Psychology :biggrin:
Original post by aaronbenham
rootes offer :smile: studying maths

Same :smile:
Reply 5191
Original post by Rotimi
Just got Cryfield :frown:. Could anyone tell me what its like? I hear they've got no laundrette service?

Don't feel bad about getting Cryfield! I lived there last year and it was awesome. When you first go in, you'll probably be a bit terrified by how narrow the corridors are, but you get used to it. The rooms are a decent size with all the things you'd expect (bed, desk, sink, bedside table, chest of drawers, wardrobe, bin, shelves, etc.) and most of the kitchens are bigger than the ones in Rootes. The great thing about Cryfield is you can walk around the whole block without needing a key (except to get in initially), so if you don't like the people on your floor, you can spend all your time on another! In Bluebell, you need to use your key 3 times to get to your room, so you can't do this.

As for the launderette, it's actually only a 2 minute walk. If you can't find it when you move in, it's the grey door with steps leading up to it as you walk up the hill from the car park to Cryfield. There are 5 washers and 5 dryers in it, most of which are normally working. Admittedly, some halls have launderettes within them, but with the money you're saving on accommodation, you'll actually be able to afford to wash your clothes (£2 for a 40 minute washing cycle and another £1 for a 50 minute dry).

Remember, wherever people end up, they usually end up loving it. And if they don't, there are opportunities to transfer to another halls in the first few weeks of term.

Edit: I feel I should point out that, if you're upset about it not being en-suite, the bathroom facilities are actually pretty great. There are 4 toilets, 2 showers and 1 shower/bath between 18 people in a single room (with internal walls, obviously :P). Last year, I only had to wait to use the shower two times, I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5192
Original post by AwkwardTurtle1
I watched that vid on youtube of the walk from Westwood to Central Campus and tbh doesn't look that bad :smile: Also, i think it just seems far cos Warwick is quite a small/tightly packed uni- would be pretty standard at other unis.

I'm studying Psychology :biggrin:

Just watched it and yeah it doesn't look far and I'm used to walking everywhere so I don't mind :biggrin: Random question but are you getting tickets to freshers events in advance or are you waiting until we're there?
How many of you guys have got a freshers passport?
Reply 5194
I got into Westwood - first choice as well! :biggrin:

Just a quick question. I've signed the online contract and it mentions about applying to for the Eating at Warwick scheme; I hit the link and all the pages say is:

"All members of the University of Warwick have an eating at Warwick account that can be attached to their Warwick ID card. To get your card encoded please visit University House reception (Mon to Fri 10am to 3pm). For any equiries on the system please contact [email protected]"

So, we don't have to do anything before we arrive yeah - just get our given ID card encoded? Just want to double check now.. :tongue:
Reply 5195
Original post by JoshC.
I got into Westwood - first choice as well! :biggrin:

Just a quick question. I've signed the online contract and it mentions about applying to for the Eating at Warwick scheme; I hit the link and all the pages say is:

"All members of the University of Warwick have an eating at Warwick account that can be attached to their Warwick ID card. To get your card encoded please visit University House reception (Mon to Fri 10am to 3pm). For any equiries on the system please contact [email protected]"

So, we don't have to do anything before we arrive yeah - just get our given ID card encoded? Just want to double check now.. :tongue:

Previously eating@warwick was a separate card, but it looks like they've changed the uni cards so it's built-in now. Unfortunately, since it's just changed, no-one's going to be able to give you informed advice on this front, but by the look of it, you'll be fine waiting until you arrive to sort it out. There'll probably be an eating@warwick counter in the Rootes Reception when you collect your uni card, so it'll be worth asking there.

Even so, when I applied it took about a week for the card to be sorted out, so if I'm wrong, the wait shouldn't be too long. :smile:
quick question: where do people from halls with no laundry facilities (e.g. Rootes) do all of their washing, drying etc.?

this has probably been asked hundreds of times already, sorry
Reply 5197
Original post by bonesbones
quick question: where do people from halls with no laundry facilities (e.g. Rootes) do all of their washing, drying etc.?

this has probably been asked hundreds of times already, sorry

There's a launderette between Rootes and the SU. If you're in Cryfield/Redfern/Hurst, there's another laundrette between Redfern and Hurst.
Reply 5198
got into whitefields, anyone else got in there?
Reply 5199
Thanks to the guy who answered my Eating @ Warwick question; rep given. :tongue:

Okay, another question which I'm even more confused about now I've thought about it. In the getting started guide, it said that duvets and duvets weren't provided (I think). However, for Westwood, it says everything but blankets is provided. But also, the inventory 'check to see if it's okay' list thing mentions about 1 pillow, 1 pillowcase, a fitted sheet, mattress cover and blanket? :s-smilie:

So, in layman's terms, can someone tell what bedding is provided and what I need to bring? Think I'm having a bit of a blonde moment...

Quick Reply

Latest