The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sounds interesting i might have to take a look at this :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by dulciemae
I had mine today! Was really nice, everyone was lovely; the prospective volunteers and the people directing it. You'll be given group tasks throughout the day, nothing daunting don't worry, and then an interview towards the end, asking you generally about why you want to do the programme - times you've worked well in groups, your strengths and weaknesses etc. I didn't prepare for it though, and neither did anyone else in the group but I think the best answers come from the heart - although it certainly wouldn't have hurt me to give these things a thought beforehand! Have fun!

Thanks, sounds like nothing to worry about then. I'm quite excited now :smile:
Reply 42
I leave tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 43
Hiya :biggrin:

I'm going to an assessment day on the 17th July with VSO. I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me :smile: What type of thing people were wearing at the assessment days, I was thinking of smart casual, maybe a niceish dress and casual blazer? Does that sound alright? Also for anybody planning to depart this September or October with VSO, do you when the training weekend is? As I'm planning my summer at the moment and will probably have to cancel something to attend the training weekend. And also does anybody when you hear back from them post assessment day and how likely it is you will be successful?

Thanks ever so much :biggrin: xx
Reply 44
Original post by FanFawr
Hiya :biggrin:

I'm going to an assessment day on the 17th July with VSO. I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me :smile: What type of thing people were wearing at the assessment days, I was thinking of smart casual, maybe a niceish dress and casual blazer? Does that sound alright? Also for anybody planning to depart this September or October with VSO, do you when the training weekend is? As I'm planning my summer at the moment and will probably have to cancel something to attend the training weekend. And also does anybody when you hear back from them post assessment day and how likely it is you will be successful?

Thanks ever so much :biggrin: xx

Hey :biggrin:

The people in my group were wearing jeans and t-shirts really, I wore a blouse and niceish trousers just in case though! But just wear whatever you'd feel comfortable in!

I've just got through with VSO, and they haven't even told us when the training weekend is, just that it'll be sometime in July! Very vague, I know. :/

I heard back in about 5 days I think, and I think as long as you show you're a nice person who wants to do this for the right reasons, you'll have a strong, strong chance of getting through! They keep asking more people to sign up for it on the Facebook group, so that also probably bodes well in our favour!

Good luck, although you probably don't even need it! Maybe I'll see you somewhere! :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by dulciemae
Hey :biggrin:

The people in my group were wearing jeans and t-shirts really, I wore a blouse and niceish trousers just in case though! But just wear whatever you'd feel comfortable in!

I've just got through with VSO, and they haven't even told us when the training weekend is, just that it'll be sometime in July! Very vague, I know. :/

I heard back in about 5 days I think, and I think as long as you show you're a nice person who wants to do this for the right reasons, you'll have a strong, strong chance of getting through! They keep asking more people to sign up for it on the Facebook group, so that also probably bodes well in our favour!

Good luck, although you probably don't even need it! Maybe I'll see you somewhere! :biggrin:

Thanks for the super quick reply :biggrin:

It's nice to know it's not too smart, I think I might wear a dress and cardi or something :smile:

My assessment day is on Tue 17th July and I believe there is also one on the Thu 19th July, so I would imagine if the training weekend is in July it is probably on the weekend of the 28th-29th July as the weekend of the 21st-22nd is a little soon after the last assessment day.

Also were you able to choose whether you want to depart in September or October, as I would much rather depart in September as it fits in a lot better with my gap year.

Thanks again :biggrin: xx
I have my assessment day with VSO tomorrow morning! :eek:
I'm feeling really nervous but excited.
Reply 47
how long after applying did people end up going? as ideally id want to go in Jan, not sure whether to apply yet?
Reply 48
Hello guys.

I have took a gap year from University and decided to apply for this VSO volunteering programme. I was accepted and then transferred to the International Service charity and I have an assessment day on the 18th of September. Can anyone remember any specific or difficult questions that they asked during the assessment day? And when do they check ID and all that stuff.

In addition, does anyone know the likelihood of being accepted to go to one of the countries to volunteer? [I hope that makes sense]. Like, if you apply is there a strong chance you're going to be accepted to go or do loads of people apply and therefore places are difficult to be accepted on?

Thank you.
Reply 49
Hi guys,

Could anyone who has actually been actually review what it was like? Is the work you're doing worthwhile or do you feel like an extra pair of hands on a job that is getting done whether you were there or not? I went to Madagascar with an NGO last summer and I did feel like it was just a way of getting me to pay lots and not completely contribute physically. I figured ICS would be different, because you aren't paying so much.

Which bits of the expedition were not so enjoyable?
Which were the most enjoyable?
What would you have done differently?
What did you learn while you were there?
Anything else I may want to know or should know?

Thank you in advance for all your answers.
Reply 50
Where did everyone go for their assessment days? For some reason I assumed that they would all be based in London, which was great because that's where I live, but I've just heard back from International Service, and the assessment days are in York, which is kinda sucky :/ But of course I'm going, ICS is more than worth it
Reply 51
Original post by Zubby77
Where did everyone go for their assessment days? For some reason I assumed that they would all be based in London, which was great because that's where I live, but I've just heard back from International Service, and the assessment days are in York, which is kinda sucky :/ But of course I'm going, ICS is more than worth it

When you applied, did you just get an email inviting you to an assessment day?
Reply 52
Original post by sunny103
When you applied, did you just get an email inviting you to an assessment day?

First I got an email from ICS saying that one of the partner agencies would get in touch, and eventually they did.
Reply 53
Original post by Zubby77
First I got an email from ICS saying that one of the partner agencies would get in touch, and eventually they did.

How much do you have to raise? I thought everyone had to raise £800
I have to raise more :frown:
Reply 54
Original post by sunny103
How much do you have to raise? I thought everyone had to raise £800
I have to raise more :frown:

Yeah I have to raise £1500, I was also shocked and I was thinking about pulling out but I realised that it's still very worth it. It says that the minimum that people are asked to raise is £800. I missed out on the minimum part.

It is a bit unfair that I have to pay more just because my parents earn over a
certain amount, they're not helping me with any part of my gap year funding so I don't think I should have to pay more but it's just the way it is.
Reply 55
Original post by Zubby77
Yeah I have to raise £1500, I was also shocked and I was thinking about pulling out but I realised that it's still very worth it. It says that the minimum that people are asked to raise is £800. I missed out on the minimum part.

It is a bit unfair that I have to pay more just because my parents earn over a
certain amount, they're not helping me with any part of my gap year funding so I don't think I should have to pay more but it's just the way it is.

Same here I have to raise that amount. I feel that it is very unfair :frown: My parents said I have to raise it all on my own. Have you done the assessment day? They said they are going to email me soon with one. Did you put any preferences in the countries you wanted to go to?
I have applied to volunteer abroad with ICS and am going to an assessment day on the 18th October for a February, or April departure date.

Luckily I have just secured a full time job until jan 31st so if I can't raise the full amount of £800 then I can just top it up from my earnings.

I am really excited to go though and I think it'll be an amazing experience.
Is it possible to just pay the £800/1500 yourself without fundraising? I would be able to raise that quite easily from work.
Original post by Cutmeloose
Is it possible to just pay the £800/1500 yourself without fundraising? I would be able to raise that quite easily from work.

Well you can raise money through the site just giving you could quite easily just set up a profile and give large chunks of the money to parents/friends to make it look like their paying it to you?

You could also send them an email and ask or if you have an assessment day ask them then :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by LaurawrS1993
Well you can raise money through the site just giving you could quite easily just set up a profile and give large chunks of the money to parents/friends to make it look like their paying it to you?

You could also send them an email and ask or if you have an assessment day ask them then :smile:

Hi guys
If I want to go this time next year (sept/oct) when should I apply because I'm taking a gap year and this seems so much better than all those other organisation that only want one thing, your money + how does the application process work? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending