The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Parents on arrival day?

Sooo,

Who's bringing their parents with them on arrival day this year?
i am. i understand how its embarrassing but 9 out of 10 people will have their parents with them. We were even laughing today about the one guy who is so adamant he didn't want his mum with him that he caught a train with all his stuff....from london to manchester lol
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Pretty much everyone goes with their parents, and nobody will think anything of it. I'd be more surprised if a person didn't come with them.
Your parents would have to be pretty embarrassing for anybody to think anything about you having them there!
I'm taking my son 'cause he has all the usual junk plus a couple of guitars and amps. There's no way that's fitting on Ryanair so we have to take the ferry. I would say at least 9/10 people will be taken by parents / relatives.
Reply 4
I'm not. A family friend is driving me up as my parent's are unable to close the shop to bring me.
Reply 5
Cool. Frankly just didn't want to be the only person there with parents like it was something nobody did.

Too much stuff to bring down on my own anyways.
Reply 6
Just don't let them stay too long!
Reply 7
Yea, everyone comes with their parents. I always tended to shuffle mine off to the car and let them leave me to it as soon as I could though. You don't want to let it get in the way of meeting your new flatmates and stuff. More recently, I've tended to bring a mate rather than parents, but that's mostly just because he has a bigger car and fits in better down the pub :smile:
Reply 8
That feeling you get after your parents leave and you are sitting in your dorm room on the bed all alone...
Original post by danny111
That feeling you get after your parents leave and you are sitting in your dorm room on the bed all alone...

I went to uni 24 years ago and I still remember sitting on my bed in my dorm room on my own wondering what the hell I'd let myself in for. Ended up going out that night with a pile of people I'd never met before who were in exactly the same boat as me and we had a really good time.
Reply 10
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
I went to uni 24 years ago and I still remember sitting on my bed in my dorm room on my own wondering what the hell I'd let myself in for. Ended up going out that night with a pile of people I'd never met before who were in exactly the same boat as me and we had a really good time.

See! That is what I meant, something you don't forget.

You must be proud to send your son off to uni now, congratulations!
Original post by danny111
See! That is what I meant, something you don't forget.

You must be proud to send your son off to uni now, congratulations!

Thanks :smile: Really strange going through it all from the parent's side this year. Having the internet makes the whole process so much easier and more informed. Wish I was going all over again though, his course looks so much better than mine was! Now if I can just get him convinced to start packing ...
Most people arrive with their parents - even if second and third year - so don't worry about that.
There should be a college briefing/intro meeting at around 6pm on your arrival day, so I'd say to get your parents to leave by mid-afternoon and that should give you time to meet your flatmates and then head off to the meeting together.
Reply 13
I think it's normal.

I'm from another country and although I'll apply for an MA, if I get in I'll need some help with my stuff.

I'll be 23 but I'm on the petite side lol I can't carry all my stuff the first time I get there.

Plus, I think my mother will feel a lot better if she knows she left me in good hands. But I come from a different culture, per se, and here it's normal for parents to help their kids at my age.
My Dad's taking me up, but we live 5 hours away, so we'll be a little late, I don't really want to force him to leave immediately after such a long drive, but he isn't staying the night, so how can I say 'thanks for taking ten hours out of your life to drive me here and drive back on your own, now piss off I have people to meet and intros to go to' in a nice way?
Reply 15
Original post by cannibalcrickets
My Dad's taking me up, but we live 5 hours away, so we'll be a little late, I don't really want to force him to leave immediately after such a long drive, but he isn't staying the night, so how can I say 'thanks for taking ten hours out of your life to drive me here and drive back on your own, now piss off I have people to meet and intros to go to' in a nice way?

It would be lunch time by the time he leaves (that's my guess anyway, seen as he'll be driving for 5 hours, he'll need some rest + if he helps unpacking etc) , so ask him if you could have lunch with him "one last time" before he leaves. He should then leave after dropping you off back at the university from the restaurant.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply