The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by planetearth
Omg you idiot! DON'T post your Personal statement online, or bits of it and don't PM it to anonymous people on the internet! Only do that AFTER you get a place at Uni!

Delete the bit of your PS you posted asap!

Oh dear. He's already gotten into Durham -_- Of course he isn't that stupid.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Oh dear. He's already gotten into Durham -_- Of course he isn't that stupid.

Oh, he just confused me when he said he was "going for Durham". I thought he meant he was applying for 2013.
Omg you idiot! DON'T post your Personal statement online, or bits of it and don't PM it to anonymous people on the internet! Only do that AFTER you get a place at Uni!

Delete the bit of your PS you posted asap!

I start my degree at Durham University for BSc Geography next week... I think I would know that, wouldn't you?
Oh, he just confused me when he said he was "going for Durham". I thought he meant he was applying for 2013.

I actually said this: "i'm going to Durham for BSc Geography btw just as an update!"

he might be a she anyways.
Reply 244
Original post by student1234567891

he might be a she anyways.

Oops, sorry for assuming you were a guy xD
Any of you guys looked at Birmingham or UCL and LSE? I'd like to know what you thought about the open day if you went and the course etc. I'm planning to do a BA in Geography if that helps!
Birmingham was excellent, I'm applying there for sure. Their offer is ABB despite what it says on the website. Great campus, awesome architecture (you can see why it's called a red brick), great course with the option to switch between BA and BSc if your interests change.

If LSE did physical as well as human I'd be there in a heartbeat. I fell in love with the university so I was heartbroken when they only offered human. Only downsides are the poor accommodation and the fact it's in London - expensive. Can't speak for UCL myself.
Reply 247
I will hopefully be applying to do BSc geography to Exeter, Southampton, Sheffield, Reading and not sure where else. I'm struggling a bit at the moment to write my personal statement, does anybody have any tips or anything in particular that those universities really like to see in a personal statement? much appreciated! :smile:
Hey guys, i went to Worcester open day today. They offer BSc Geography, Human Geography and Physical Geography. They also do environmental science and environmental management. You can combine physical geography with environmental management which is what i personally would choose. It's a really great insurance choice. Lecturers are nice, if you get good grades e.g AAB then you could apply for a scholarship which gives you £1000 towards your studies. But at Worcester the field trip prices are included in the tuition fees! :smile: The campus is lovely. It's small, it's really friendly, easy to get around, close to the city which is really nice, and has so much green space. Lots of trees :smile: The courses have an emphasis on practical work over theory so you can develop the right skills for employment, and they have links with the environment agency and wildlife trusts etc who come in as speakers sometimes.

I'm so glad i have found somewhere else as an insurance which i actually like!
Original post by Bulbasaur
Oops, sorry for assuming you were a guy xD

Forgiven I guess :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by bluester
exeters campus was fantastic but its the actual course that worries me - the lecturer bored me slightly, we were all crammed into an overbooked room and the AAA-AAB grade boundaries which were apparently non-flexible concerned me too. also you cant do a term abroad as part of your course :/ anyone going to queen mary next weekend?

You'll get an AAA offer for Human but an AAB for Physical

Reply 251
Hi, I'd appreciate any advice on the balance of human/physical in personal statements. I'm writing my PS for BSc courses. 4 out 5 of them have a bit of human that's compulsory in their course. Is it important to mention some human content in my PS for those courses that aren't solely physical? Or would that impact badly on the course thats just physical? Or am I just over thinking it?

I hope all of your applications are going well! :smile:
Original post by 1901
Hi, I'd appreciate any advice on the balance of human/physical in personal statements. I'm writing my PS for BSc courses. 4 out 5 of them have a bit of human that's compulsory in their course. Is it important to mention some human content in my PS for those courses that aren't solely physical? Or would that impact badly on the course thats just physical? Or am I just over thinking it?

I hope all of your applications are going well! :smile:

Mine is more physical geog focused with a tiny reference to human geog it's hard though to get the balance right :/ I know that probs wasn't much help though :/ good luck :smile:

Reply 253
Original post by St. Brynjar
Birmingham was excellent, I'm applying there for sure. Their offer is ABB despite what it says on the website. Great campus, awesome architecture (you can see why it's called a red brick), great course with the option to switch between BA and BSc if your interests change.

Thanks for posting this, I'm looking at ABB unis and ruled out Birmingham due to the higher entry requirements. Is their offer definitely ABB as I may consider it if it is!
Original post by gl71994
Thanks for posting this, I'm looking at ABB unis and ruled out Birmingham due to the higher entry requirements. Is their offer definitely ABB as I may consider it if it is!

Don't take my word for it 100% but the admissions tutor (who incidentally gave the best presentation of any so far, just spoke honestly and rubbished the 'we're the Xth best in the country and Y' garbage that most do) said it would much more likely be ABB than AAB, but there may be a chance of AAB. I thought I'd hate it and I only went to humor my mum who went (had the prejudice against B'ham as a place) but it was fantastic.
Reply 255
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had been to visit Cardiff? Only I'm thinking of using it as my 5th choice as I love the city, but I don't realy know much about their reputation for Geography? thanks!
Im applying for a bsc geography at glasgow, aberdeen, st andrews, dundee and edinburgh. Glasgow is the first choice though :smile:, anyone else thinking of glasgow for geography?
Reply 257
Original post by St. Brynjar
Don't take my word for it 100% but the admissions tutor (who incidentally gave the best presentation of any so far, just spoke honestly and rubbished the 'we're the Xth best in the country and Y' garbage that most do) said it would much more likely be ABB than AAB, but there may be a chance of AAB. I thought I'd hate it and I only went to humor my mum who went (had the prejudice against B'ham as a place) but it was fantastic.

Thank you for this, I may drop them an email as I'm hoping to be an unconditional candidate so hopefully they can consider my grades. :smile:
Hey fellow geographers! I'm applying for geography at Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh x2 and Newcastle:smile:
Original post by LochieKnockie
Hey fellow geographers! I'm applying for geography at Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh x2 and Newcastle:smile:

Hi. I noticed you're applying to Edinburgh, a course which I am interested in. I am, however, confused by the entry requirements/course and am wondering if you can help! Is it true you can apply for direct entry to the second year with A*AA? And if so, how is this possible, is first year not vital? If you can help, thanks in advance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending