The Student Room Group

Dilemma with LNAT and Cambridge UCAS deadline

I want to apply for Cambridge for Law and LNAT universities (i am aware Cambridge uses CLT), however I do not feel ready to take the LNAT before the 15th. Am I able to submit my UCAS by the 15th October for Cambridge and then sit my LNAT at a later date for all of my other choices? Or do I have to submit my UCAS after I have sat my LNAT?

Advice would be much appreciated
IIRC, you can sit the LNAT after the 15th. When I applied for Cambridge, they still did the LNAT and I'm fairly sure they said they wanted us to have sat the LNAT by 31st October even though UCAS had to be done by 15th.
Reply 2
Original post by Selym95
I want to apply for Cambridge for Law and LNAT universities (i am aware Cambridge uses CLT), however I do not feel ready to take the LNAT before the 15th. Am I able to submit my UCAS by the 15th October for Cambridge and then sit my LNAT at a later date for all of my other choices? Or do I have to submit my UCAS after I have sat my LNAT?

Taking the test later is fine :smile: Your LNAT choices just won't consider your application till they receive your scores. If they contact you to remind you to sit the test, tell them when you've booked the test for.

I applied to Cambridge last year and didn't sit the LNAT until January. Didn't pose a problem for me.
It's fine. I applied to Cambridge last year, sat my LNAT in November. I wouldn't leave it too long though, else you'll be waiting an awfully long time for offers.
Reply 4
Original post by Cutmeloose
It's fine. I applied to Cambridge last year, sat my LNAT in November. I wouldn't leave it too long though, else you'll be waiting an awfully long time for offers.

Would it put me at a disadvantage if i left it too long? What they give out most of their offers before I even applied?
Original post by Selym95

You can usually sit the LNAT after sending in your application in (I think universities have individual deadlines for it) but really it's in your best interests to get it done ASAP. Obviously you won't get a reply from a university until you've sat it.

If you're not ready for it now, you'll never be. Besides it's debatable just how much you can prepare for the LNAT - the point is you can't prepare, and having done it myself, I'm inclined to believe that.

If you're good enough, you'll get through - preparation or no preparation.
Original post by Selym95
Would it put me at a disadvantage if i left it too long? What they give out most of their offers before I even applied?

Not at all. I got into UCL and Durham ( my LNAT choices) Universities aside from Oxbridge know everyone with an offer may not accept, so heavily over offer. Places like Durham/Notts/Kings probably give 4 conditionals for each place.

Do try and get it done before November time, since last year I left mine pretty late and before I knew it my Cambridge interview was on the agenda so I had to quickly sit the LNAT to allow me to focus on that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Cutmeloose
Not at all. I got into UCL and Durham ( my LNAT choices) Universities aside from Oxbridge know everyone with an offer may not accept, so heavily over offer. Places like Durham/Notts/Kings probably give 4 conditionals for each place.

Do try and get it done before November time, since last year I left mine pretty late and before I knew it my Cambridge interview was on the agenda so I had to quickly sit the LNAT to allow me to focus on that.

Excellent. I'll book it late October/very early November. Thanks for the assistance.
Reply 8
For Oxford, the deadline for sitting the LNAT is the 20th of October. Not sure for Cambridge.
Reply 9
Original post by Selym95

Universities don't give out most of their offers till the later half of the year anyway (from January onwards). Taking the LNAT in November as opposed to October 14th shouldn't be an issue. I left mine as late as January and I got offers from Durham and UCL, my two LNAT choices.

Quick Reply

Latest