The Student Room Group

Losing too much weight.

I moved out to go to uni about a month ago, and I've gone from nine stone to eight stone already, due to illness, more exercise, etc. Now my course has actually started, I'll be walking a lot more, probably be busier so I'll eat less.

I don't like the way I look under 8 stone, I've been there before and I prefer keeping some curve to my body.

Any tips to help me maintain my weight?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Eat more?
Reply 2
Don't be an idiot and eat properly.

Being 'busier' is a pathetic excuse for not eating properly.

Walking around isn't going to create some massive calorie deficit by its self unless you spend the whole day walking up mountains.
Reply 3
Original post by MintSauce
Eat more?

My stomach has shrunk because of how I've been ill/too lazy to cook. I can barely finish meals I can be bothered to cook/buy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MKZebra
My stomach has shrunk because of how I've been ill/too lazy to cook. I can barely finish meals I can be bothered to cook/buy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eat more often then? Have a small breakfast if that's all you can manage, then take a snack with you, then have some lunch, a snack on your way home, and a decent dinner?
I think people are being a bit harsh in this post - I know it seems really simple just to eat more but it's a lot harder to put on weight than lose weight, and I know when I was ill last year it took me a while to start eating properly again, and it was around exam time so sometimes I did genuinely just forget to eat proper meals if I wasn't hungry.

I think what you need to do is set yourself specific times for meals - when I didn't eat much during exam time it helped me to go by my school lunch times and have lunch around then, even if I didn't feel particularly hungry. It can help to arrange to meet up with people for lunch to make sure you eat it. Try not to have lie ins if you're not busy in the morning, because if you eat breakfast at 10-11, you won't be hungry enough for a proper lunch. Make sure you plan your meals - if you don't like cooking, make sure you have readymeals or something that you can take to places for your lunch, which will stop you just forgetting to buy something or only having a snack. You can't just say that you 'can't be bothered' to cook or buy food though, because obviously that's something you can change really easily which will help you a lot.
Maybe try taking some vitamin supplements. After some regular use, you'll feel that you have more energy and it'll also fatten you up a bit. You certainly need to eat more though.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by MKZebra
I moved out to go to uni about a month ago, and I've gone from nine stone to eight stone already, due to illness, more exercise, etc. Now my course has actually started, I'll be walking a lot more, probably be busier so I'll eat less.

I don't like the way I look under 8 stone, I've been there before and I prefer keeping some curve to my body.

Any tips to help me maintain my weight?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I had this problem! :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by momanium
I wish I had this problem! :angry:

I've never, ever had this problem before. The last time I was down to this weight it took serious effort..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It's honestly got to the point where thinking of food makes me feel sick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid I disagree with the above poster who said that you're being an idiot and that walking etc. alone can't cause you to lose weight. I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. In my second year I walked miles and miles most days (3 mile round trip to campus, 2/3 trips most days, occasionally more) and I lost dangerous amounts of weight. I got down to almost 8 stone and I'm a 5'11" girl!

Firstly, I think it might simply be down to the fact that spending so much time in transit every day means you genuinely have less time to eat, or to think about eating. Secondly, I find exercise can make you less hungry, and also when you're tired at the end of the day it's easy to sleep rather than eat. Thirdly, as you've realised, the less you eat the less you want to eat. After an eye-opening trip to the doctor when they wouldn't let me leave until they were satisfied I wasn't hiding some kind of food disorder I realised that what I'd been convincing myself was an adequate meal, and indeed, exactly the quantity of food I'd always eaten, really wasn't. I told my flatmates and they were great at keeping an eye on my portion sizes, insisting I helped finish off leftovers even if I wasn't hungry, things like that.

I also slowed down my walking pace and treated going to campus as a relaxing activity, not a race to see how fast I could power walk a mile and a half (I always ran late!)

Try things like smoothies - really quite calorific if you have one a day but you won't feel like you're overloading your system with junk. Easy to get down, too, if food's making you feel sick. And if you buy cartons you won't even have to smell/prepare anything before you eat it. Simple things like putting one more spoonful than you think you need on your plate will help. And definitely tell people who see you eating/eat with you. They're probably a better judge of your weight/how much food you're REALLY eating than you are.

Good luck! And it'll probably all sort itself out when you relax during uni holidays!
Reply 11
Original post by comeluckyapril
I'm afraid I disagree with the above poster who said that you're being an idiot and that walking etc. alone can't cause you to lose weight. I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. In my second year I walked miles and miles most days (3 mile round trip to campus, 2/3 trips most days, occasionally more) and I lost dangerous amounts of weight. I got down to almost 8 stone and I'm a 5'11" girl!

Firstly, I think it might simply be down to the fact that spending so much time in transit every day means you genuinely have less time to eat, or to think about eating. Secondly, I find exercise can make you less hungry, and also when you're tired at the end of the day it's easy to sleep rather than eat. Thirdly, as you've realised, the less you eat the less you want to eat. After an eye-opening trip to the doctor when they wouldn't let me leave until they were satisfied I wasn't hiding some kind of food disorder I realised that what I'd been convincing myself was an adequate meal, and indeed, exactly the quantity of food I'd always eaten, really wasn't. I told my flatmates and they were great at keeping an eye on my portion sizes, insisting I helped finish off leftovers even if I wasn't hungry, things like that.

I also slowed down my walking pace and treated going to campus as a relaxing activity, not a race to see how fast I could power walk a mile and a half (I always ran late!)

Try things like smoothies - really quite calorific if you have one a day but you won't feel like you're overloading your system with junk. Easy to get down, too, if food's making you feel sick. And if you buy cartons you won't even have to smell/prepare anything before you eat it. Simple things like putting one more spoonful than you think you need on your plate will help. And definitely tell people who see you eating/eat with you. They're probably a better judge of your weight/how much food you're REALLY eating than you are.

Good luck! And it'll probably all sort itself out when you relax during uni holidays!

Thanks so much!

I'll definitely have to try out some of this advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest