The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Disability Benefit for Migraine?

I know a girl who has a 1st class degree and a masters but who doesn't work, she has in the past but she is now too ill with migraine and she is in the Support Group of ESA which is the highest rate of care.

I am shocked someone can get ESA at all for migraine, after all doesn't everyone get headaches? Also I really thought they were cracking down on who could and could not get these benefits. It is true that she is ill quite a few days a month with bad migraines, she is on various medications and sees a neurologist every few months but she is also often out and about, she goes to the local council gym which she gets her membership of very cheaply, she takes an evening class, goes to art galleries, the cinema, even the odd gig although she cannot drink.

Other than that she is at home, reading and taking it easy so she doesn't get a migraine.

Surely this is a sign that opposed to all the bad press in the media about ATOS and the DWP being to hard on claiments that they should in fact be doing much more to make people who could be working, work!

Scroll to see replies

Maybe she can do these things but working would cause her to have more migraines or for them to be worse. Or maybe working would mean she wasn't well enough to do anything else she needs to do to function. You can't judge another person's illness because you can't know how it affects them.
Original post by MASeeker
I know a girl who has a 1st class degree and a masters but who doesn't work, she has in the past but she is now too ill with migraine and she is in the Support Group of ESA which is the highest rate of care.

I am shocked someone can get ESA at all for migraine, after all doesn't everyone get headaches? Also I really thought they were cracking down on who could and could not get these benefits. It is true that she is ill quite a few days a month with bad migraines, she is on various medications and sees a neurologist every few months but she is also often out and about, she goes to the local council gym which she gets her membership of very cheaply, she takes an evening class, goes to art galleries, the cinema, even the odd gig although she cannot drink.

Other than that she is at home, reading and taking it easy so she doesn't get a migraine.

Surely this is a sign that opposed to all the bad press in the media about ATOS and the DWP being to hard on claiments that they should in fact be doing much more to make people who could be working, work!

Do you know what a migraine is?
Reply 3
If you've never been in a situation where a normal day-to-day life wears you out to an unhealthy degree you won't understand. I've been in a similar situation and noone really understood and I got a lot of stick for it.

The fact that she clearly likes to be active get ends up sitting at home and reading a lot indicates that she actually does have a problem.
Reply 4
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Maybe she can do these things but working would cause her to have more migraines or for them to be worse. Or maybe working would mean she wasn't well enough to do anything else she needs to do to function. You can't judge another person's illness because you can't know how it affects them.

The thing about ESA is that it isn't supposed to take into account any of that, the whole point of the benefit is that if you can work at all, even if that working might make your illness worse or even less so that it would stop you being able to do anything else you might like to do isn't really taken into consideration, only under extreme circumstances. I'm not saying I think that is right or especially kind of the government but cut backs do need to be made. The point of ESA is that if you can do any sort of work at all you should be doing it, if she is well enough to go to an evening class or to the gym then surely she could do some kind of work?
Reply 5
Original post by minimarshmallow
Do you know what a migraine is?

A migraine is basically a bad headache, yes it is classed as a neurological issue but really it boild down to a worse than usual sore head, which we all get at times.
Why is it any of your business?
A migraine is basically a bad headache, yes it is classed as a neurological issue but really it boild down to a worse than usual sore head, which we all get at times.

You may want to google migraine if that's all you think it is.
Reply 8
Original post by ellieHA
If you've never been in a situation where a normal day-to-day life wears you out to an unhealthy degree you won't understand. I've been in a similar situation and noone really understood and I got a lot of stick for it.

The fact that she clearly likes to be active get ends up sitting at home and reading a lot indicates that she actually does have a problem.

Well yes, all the more reason for her to do some kind of work when she can. My mum gets migraines and when they got bod our GP put her on beta blockers for a while and they cleared up, so I do know about migraine and know that there are very effective preventative medications.

Wow.
Educate yourself about it before you try and argue about it, please.
Reply 10
Original post by Elenathion
Why is it any of your business?

Because as tax payers I and my family are paying for her to have her time off. My father had cancer and under went chemotherapy and he still went to work the day after, how would it be if everyone just refused to work the second they had anything wrong with them?
The thing about ESA is that it isn't supposed to take into account any of that, the whole point of the benefit is that if you can work at all, even if that working might make your illness worse or even less so that it would stop you being able to do anything else you might like to do isn't really taken into consideration, only under extreme circumstances. I'm not saying I think that is right or especially kind of the government but cut backs do need to be made. The point of ESA is that if you can do any sort of work at all you should be doing it, if she is well enough to go to an evening class or to the gym then surely she could do some kind of work?

Maybe the migraines are brought on by stress and being in any kind of work situation is too stressful for her? And I'm not talking about if she works she can't go to the gym: she might not be able to get dressed, make herself food or be able to remember to pay the bills if she works. We can't comment because we don't know how her illness affects her.

And why should she have to work if it makes her illness worse to the point her life is hell?
Because as tax payers I and my family are paying for her to have her time off. My father had cancer and under went chemotherapy and he still went to work the day after, how would it be if everyone just refused to work the second they had anything wrong with them?

Oh the taxpayer argument. You need to get over yourself.
Reply 13
Well yes, all the more reason for her to do some kind of work when she can. My mum gets migraines and when they got bod our GP put her on beta blockers for a while and they cleared up, so I do know about migraine and know that there are very effective preventative medications.

Drugs work differently for everyone so while it's great that beta blockers worked for your mum, it seems they are not effective in this lady's case. You said that she is already on various medications and sees a neurologist - does this not indicate to you that there is clearly a serious problem?

I agree that benefits are not always spent wisely and that she could perhaps do a little bit of work, but i'm not sure what kind of work she would be useful for. If she got a migraine on a day she was expected to work she'd cause a lot of trouble with people trying to find someone to replace her.
Reply 14
Original post by ellieHA
Drugs work differently for everyone so while it's great that beta blockers worked for your mum, it seems they are not effective in this lady's case. You said that she is already on various medications and sees a neurologist - does this not indicate to you that there is clearly a serious problem?

I agree that benefits are not always spent wisely and that she could perhaps do a little bit of work, but i'm not sure what kind of work she would be useful for. If she got a migraine on a day she was expected to work she'd cause a lot of trouble with people trying to find someone to replace her.

Well her justification for being on ESA is that most of her migraine triggers are enviromental i.e. lighting, noise, pollution, air quality and so most work enviroments such as offices, call centres and shops cause her migraines to become constant. She says that on days she feels well she could work in the right enviroment i.e. from home but that her condition is too unpredictable to hold down a job i.e. she would always be needing time off sick and that in her experiance once she mentions her migraines (due to requesting adjustments) to a prospective employer they lose interest in her either never hiring her or leting her go as soon as they can.

I can see how this is problematic however this isn't what ESA is for, it doesn't exist for people whose condition makes it difficult for them to find and keep a job it is for those too ill to work period. The truth is she is fit to work at least half the month and could be working, it isn't the problem of ATOS to find her a job that is down to job centre plus, it maybe difficult but I can't see how she is entitled to ESA at all.

She has spoke about working self employed using her degree however she would most likely not make enough money doing so and when the universal credit comes in she would need to be making full time minimum wage to qualify for any benefits so I just don't see that working out, as far as I can see she intends to stay on disability benefits long term or as long as she can get away with it.
ESA isn't disability benefit...that is DLA. People can get ESA for a number of reasons (of not being fit to work)- depression, social anxiety, family problems etc. Have you maybe thought she is having other complications and she doesn't wish to divulge the information to her peers? Just a thought.
Reply 16
Original post by iammarmite
ESA isn't disability benefit...that is DLA. People can get ESA for a number of reasons (of not being fit to work)- depression, social anxiety, family problems etc. Have you maybe thought she is having other complications and she doesn't wish to divulge the information to her peers? Just a thought.

Well I think she also has some bowel issues etc due to migraine she isn't depressed or neurotic she is always keen to point that out. She gets top level ESA for migraine and migraine alone. So many people get these headaches but most people suck it up. I have heard of even people in wheelchairs, or with other serious disabilites failing the ESA assesment so it just stuns me she can get it for such a common complaint.

MAY I SUGGEST THAT NOONE REPLIES ANYMORE AS THIS IS CLEARLY AN IDIOT/TROLL?!

A migraine bad enough to disable you is crippling. They aren't just sore heads. When I was getting them because of my eyes, I couldn't walk, sleep, see...I threw up violently every other night.

Educate yourself, please do not quote me. I am not interested with arguing with an idiot.
Well I think she also has some bowel issues etc due to migraine she isn't depressed or neurotic she is always keen to point that out. She gets top level ESA for migraine and migraine alone. So many people get these headaches but most people suck it up. I have heard of even people in wheelchairs, or with other serious disabilites failing the ESA assesment so it just stuns me she can get it for such a common complaint.

I have never claimed ESA, but I do claim DLA- and if the assessment is as difficult as the DLA one, she hasn't been in for a easy ride I will tell you that. Every different person has different needs, maybe you should mind your own buisness and live you life- and let her live hers.
Reply 19
migraines are awful. things that are common in workplaces, like strong lighting, general chatter can set them off. Pure hell. poor thing

Latest

Trending

Trending