The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Disability Benefit for Migraine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alapa
migraines are awful. things that are common in workplaces, like strong lighting, general chatter can set them off. Pure hell. poor thing

stop the comments as clearly noone understands what a migraine is.
Reply 21
Well I must sayy I am surprise by how sympathetic people here are to the case, after all if it were a headline in the paper "woman on sickness benefits for migraine goes to gym 3 times a week, goes to cinema, takes evening classes I am sure most people would be outraged that while they get up on freezing cold mornings she is snuggling down for a mornings reading before hiting her afternoon yoga class, wouldn't we all like o live like that but most of us take responsbility for ourselves and work for a living.
You think a person with a first class degree and a masters wouldn't work if they could? You think she wanted to put in all that hard work, time and money just so she could claim benefit at the end of it?
Reply 23
Original post by Captain Haddock
You think a person with a first class degree and a masters wouldn't work if they could? You think she wanted to put in all that hard work, time and money just so she could claim benefit at the end of it?

Her degrees are in "Fine Art".
Reply 24
Original post by MASeeker
Well her justification for being on ESA is that most of her migraine triggers are enviromental i.e. lighting, noise, pollution, air quality and so most work enviroments such as offices, call centres and shops cause her migraines to become constant. She says that on days she feels well she could work in the right enviroment i.e. from home but that her condition is too unpredictable to hold down a job i.e. she would always be needing time off sick and that in her experiance once she mentions her migraines (due to requesting adjustments) to a prospective employer they lose interest in her either never hiring her or leting her go as soon as they can.

I can see how this is problematic however this isn't what ESA is for, it doesn't exist for people whose condition makes it difficult for them to find and keep a job it is for those too ill to work period. The truth is she is fit to work at least half the month and could be working, it isn't the problem of ATOS to find her a job that is down to job centre plus, it maybe difficult but I can't see how she is entitled to ESA at all.

She has spoke about working self employed using her degree however she would most likely not make enough money doing so and when the universal credit comes in she would need to be making full time minimum wage to qualify for any benefits so I just don't see that working out, as far as I can see she intends to stay on disability benefits long term or as long as she can get away with it.

The point that you are missing it that she IS too ill to work...
A migraine is basically a bad headache, yes it is classed as a neurological issue but really it boild down to a worse than usual sore head, which we all get at times.

When my Mum has them, she gets a crippling headache, goes practically blind for a while (she is a nurse, so this is hardly ideal if it happens while she is on shift), she cannot speak, and one side of her body becomes numb. The headache is only shifted by lots of drugs and a long sleep- but it sometimes lingers for up to a week.

It's not just a "sore head", it's a headache to the extent that you cannot physically move or think because the pain is so bad.

I think it's quite disgusting that you're being so judgemental, when this poor girl would almost certainly swap her migraines for a normal, every day job if she had the chance.
OP - can I suggest you look up migraine. You mention that she goes to the neurologist - you can't see a neurologist just because you have a bit of a headache. I get migraine, which is made worse by bright and /or flashing lights. I would love it if it was just a bit of a headache. It's crippling. I can not even stay awake, let alone work when I have them.

My mum gets them and they make her physically sick. When I used to get them, I would just go to sleep because the pain is so unbearable.

You say you don't understand why she's entitled to ESA - it's possible that she has other disabilities which make her unable to work. You've not seen her medical records; so don't know the true extent of her migraine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27

Actually, migraines can be terrible, particularly if you get them with aura.

They block out your vision so you can't see anything, you can't focus, you go into panic, parts of your body go dead so you can't actually do anything, your words slur, you can't think, your head kills, you're throwing up.

I went through a phase of having them myself and they're not only inconvenient, at times they're quite scary when you have them with the aura.

A migraine is not just 'a bad headache'. If you suffer from them regularly and they're quite severe, they are completely disabling. You can't just take painkillers and shrug it off because the other symptoms make you pretty much useless.

Also, migraines are often brought on by other factors beyond your control. They can also be seemingly completely random. I realize that if you are unfamiliar with the severity of migraines then it may seem that she is milking the system but if her experience is anything like mine then I can guarantee she is well within her rights to claim this benefit - not that it's up to anyone but the awarding body to judge.
Reply 28
Original post by Captain Haddock

Possibly. Studying at university and work are separate and incommensurable activities to some degree. I know people who studied hard but have no ambition whatsoever. Besides even having a masters degree these days won't even guarantee you a job stacking shelves in Tesco.
Original post by karousel
I went through a phase of having them myself and they're not only inconvenient, at times they're quite scary when you have them with the aura.

Seconded. I had no idea what was happening.:frown: I then went home and laid on my bed crying. I was in so much pain. I just hope I've outgrown them now.

A migraine is not just 'a bad headache'. If you suffer from them regularly and they're quite severe, they are completely disabling. You can't just take painkillers and shrug it off because the other symptoms make you pretty much useless.

Exactly. If I just had a bad headache, I wouldn't be in so much pain that I would have to spend the rest of the afternoon sleeping. (I can't do anything else)

Also, migraines are often brought on by other factors beyond your control. They can also be seemingly completely random. I realize that if you are unfamiliar with the severity of migraines then it may seem that she is milking the system but if her experience is anything like mine then I can guarantee she is well within her rights to claim this benefit - not that it's up to anyone but the awarding body to judge.

Agreed. Mine were random and were made worse by light and chocolate.

OP - you're not medically trained. She has been assessed as having a disability severe enough to not be able to work. You can't do anything during an attack. And that's coming from someone who didn't experience things like throwing up, speech going, parts of my body going dead, etc.
Reply 30
I can quite believe that this is possible, for it to cause her so many problem. I have had to call in sick to work at least 4 times because I have woken up with a god awful migraine, being incredibly sensitive to any noises and light in particular is a bad for making mine worse and there are lots of bright lights in my work place, but I always start earlier, so all that sunlight, I just couldn't go into work with one. Then there's the nausea that comes and goes for me in horrible waves of varying strength unpredictably. I couldn't work being like that, especially not with the added pain of my head feeling like someone is trying to blow it up from the inside out, which painkillers barely touch. Sleep is the only thing that, if I can eventually get to it be able to do it due to all the issues it causes me, that helps it for me. And then I'll maybe sleep for about 10 hours and feel so much better, but still not my usual self, though I could probably do something like an evening class or go out then, I just wouldn't quite be completely with it. For all we know she may get these day in and day out - I couldn't function normally at all if I had to put up with that every day, I don't think.

I don't even know what my triggers are if any, but I usually get some sort of allodynia (literally "other pain" - for me, random patches of overly sensitive skin to normal touch/brushing, made a lot worse by heat or cold) anywhere from a week to a few days before and sometimes a little bit after the attack.
(edited 11 years ago)
I know a girl who has a 1st class degree and a masters but who doesn't work, she has in the past but she is now too ill with migraine and she is in the Support Group of ESA which is the highest rate of care.

I am shocked someone can get ESA at all for migraine, after all doesn't everyone get headaches? Also I really thought they were cracking down on who could and could not get these benefits. It is true that she is ill quite a few days a month with bad migraines, she is on various medications and sees a neurologist every few months but she is also often out and about, she goes to the local council gym which she gets her membership of very cheaply, she takes an evening class, goes to art galleries, the cinema, even the odd gig although she cannot drink.

Other than that she is at home, reading and taking it easy so she doesn't get a migraine.

Surely this is a sign that opposed to all the bad press in the media about ATOS and the DWP being to hard on claiments that they should in fact be doing much more to make people who could be working, work!

you are a definate sociopath

cannot empathise

get yourself checked out asap
Reply 32
Original post by Dukeofwembley
you are a definate sociopath

cannot empathise

get yourself checked out asap

Well I think that is unfair, if I were a sociopath I might be able to clain for ESA myself by the sounds of things but rather I work for a living.

I have found out talking to my mother over the weekend who is a friend of her mothers that she also has dyspraxia although I am not sure how this really effects her considering her degrees etc. Apparently it impacts on her functionality.

Anyway she sounds to me like lazy girl riding out the recession on benefits.
Well I think that is unfair, if I were a sociopath I might be able to clain for ESA myself by the sounds of things but rather I work for a living.

I have found out talking to my mother over the weekend who is a friend of her mothers that she also has dyspraxia although I am not sure how this really effects her considering her degrees etc. Apparently it impacts on her functionality.

ok, why stop there why not disabled all people liars

forget disabled benefit, let them stave i say, do you agree?

im gonna tell this guy in a wheelchair to restart his spine, that lazy fk
(edited 11 years ago)
OP, you clearly don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. If you think she wouldn't want a normal job and a normal life, please think again. I suffer from a chronic illness that kept me in hospital for five years, and I've had people say behind my back that they would want to swap, because I didn't have to get up in the morning and could be 'lazy' all I wanted. I would have given anything for a normal life, for a job, to be able to go to university. Anything. Please be careful before you judge - you don't know everything, so don't act like you do.
Original post by Brighter_Star
OP, you clearly don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. If you think she wouldn't want a normal job and a normal life, please think again. I suffer from a chronic illness that kept me in hospital for five years, and I've had people say behind my back that they would want to swap, because I didn't have to get up in the morning and could be 'lazy' all I wanted. I would have given anything for a normal life, for a job, to be able to go to university. Anything. Please be careful before you judge - you don't know everything, so don't act like you do.

hes a sociopath, could become the next hitler
Original post by Brighter_Star
I've had people say behind my back that they would want to swap, because I didn't have to get up in the morning and could be 'lazy' all I wanted. I would have given anything for a normal life, for a job, to be able to go to university. Anything. Please be careful before you judge - you don't know everything, so don't act like you do.

Same. I would love to work; but as someone who has serious issues with noise, it's not a good idea.

Right, so you have no idea how Dyspraxia affects her; but have also decided she's lazy?:s-smilie: Can I suggest you look up migraine and Dyspraxia.
when i was 8 i used to get migraines, i couldn't be in any light natural or unnatural - even the standby light on the tv had me screaming in agony, i spent days and weeks at a time in a blacked out room with ear plugs in, just lying in the dark

migraines are caused by super sensitivity to everything around you, sound, light and even smell - i was in agony and had to be removed from everything, not to mention all the medications, the physical sickness

learn what your talking about op - a headache is a completely different condition

i have DCD a form of dyspraxia and im lucky i got full therapy for over 6 years but i help out with a DCD awareness group many people in the group cant write, cant dress themselves and even struggle to carry things

DCD or dyspraxia is an underdevelopment of the motor cortex of the brain and is like being a constantly drunk, your brain works but your body dosnt do what you tell it

really learn what your talking about
Reply 39
Id much rather be in a wheelchair than have really regular migranes! I get not-so-severe (they used to be worse when I was younger) migranes every couple of months and I cant even move when I have them. If I was in a wheelchair I could do a non-physical job.

Clearly OP is trolling though, saying a migrane is just "a bit of a headach" is like saying being shot in the face is kind of annoying
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending