The Student Room Group

Is peace a marketable commodity?

Can peace be bought? Is it being bought? Should it be bought? What do you think?
I think peace should be bought as it one of the most important factors in defining the wealth of a country. The public needs to be safe in order to keep a clean, healthy society.
Reply 1
Are we talking internal or external peace?
Reply 2
Original post by dgeorge
Are we talking internal or external peace?

Both
Reply 3
Like paying for a police force and army? Or like paying tribute to someone to not attack you?
Reply 4
Depends very heavily on how you'd define peace, to be honest. Some people might interpret the compulsion to pay for 'peace' - in the sense of a lack of physical/political violence - as a form of violence in itself (or a sort of conflict, at the very least).
Reply 5
Original post by Hopple
Like paying for a police force and army? Or like paying tribute to someone to not attack you?

Yes thats one way to put it. It can be about countries, or even about individuals.
Reply 6
Original post by TheMJCG
Yes thats one way to put it. It can be about countries, or even about individuals.

Can you be clearer of what you mean? I've given 3 examples there, the first two I think are acceptable to pay for, the latter is oppression which I do not think is acceptable.
Reply 7
Original post by Hopple
Can you be clearer of what you mean? I've given 3 examples there, the first two I think are acceptable to pay for, the latter is oppression which I do not think is acceptable.

It can be about anything, whatever topic that involves buying peace. What you said was a good start.
you dont happen to be taking part in a debate tomorrow ... are you? o.O
Reply 9
Original post by madaboutmambo
you dont happen to be taking part in a debate tomorrow ... are you? o.O

No it is for an essay.
Reply 10
Original post by TheMJCG
No it is for an essay.

What a coincidence. i actually have a debate on the same topic tomorrow. I would be really grateful if you could cite your sources for the essay.. if its not too much trouble. Thanks!!!

Oh and for a search critieria try 'marketing peace'. Brings alot of results
If peace is a commodity, I would think it's a merit good.
Yes..

Peace brought to you by US Airforce .(love those birds they use)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending