The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

About time there was an applicant thread for Cardiff.

Admissions Information

The application process

2012 Applicant thread

From what I can gather they score your best 9 GCSEs (no short courses) using the following;
A* = 3, A = 2, B = 1
Not sure about last year's cut off but it is usually mid to low twenties, 2012 was 25.

2011 had 3200 applicants for 250 places.

And so the process begins...
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

for my three best i got
A*A*A*A*A*0.5A* AAAA should i apply?
Reply 2
Short courses don't count (thanks for reminding me, I've added it to the post) so your score would be 23. Not sure if this would have made the cut off last year, would have been close though.
My top choice! Really want to go to Cardiff!!
Reply 4
Original post by royallyrandom

I've yet to visit it, but everyone who goes there seems to love it.
Reply 5
Hi everyone! I was wondering to what extent do Cardiff Medical school use the UKCAT? +
Reply 6
Original post by Bord3r
About time there was an applicant thread for Cardiff.

Admissions Information

The application process

2012 Applicant thread

From what I can gather they score your best 9 GCSEs (no short courses) using the following;
A* = 3, A = 2, B = 1
Not sure about last year's cut off but it is usually mid to low twenties (I think, have to clarify that).

2011 had 3200 applicants for 250 places.

And so the process begins...

Sorry, but is that the cut off for GCSE or cut off generally?
Reply 7
Original post by JoshL123
Sorry, but is that the cut off for GCSE or cut off generally?

The cut off for the GCSE score in previous years has been roughly 23/24 I believe, so that would mean your best 9 GCSEs would have to probably be at least 6A*s and 3As but I wouldn't quote me on that, best to email them.
Reply 8
Original post by Bord3r
The cut off for the GCSE score in previous years has been roughly 23/24 I believe, so that would mean your best 9 GCSEs would have to probably be at least 6A*s and 3As but I wouldn't quote me on that, best to email them.

Thanks! Do you have a score for your AS results and UKCAT? I have heard that they don't have a UKCAT cut-off and it forms a small part of the applications :s-smilie:
Reply 9
They only use the UKCAT when distinguishing between candidates after interview apparently. They look quite a lot at the non academic criteria which they list on their website. I believe that they only look at A2 predictions, not your AS grades. Have a look at the 2012 Medicine Stalking page to see the kind of applicant that was successful.
Reply 10
Original post by Bord3r
They only use the UKCAT when distinguishing between candidates after interview apparently. They look quite a lot at the non academic criteria which they list on their website. I believe that they only look at A2 predictions, not your AS grades. Have a look at the 2012 Medicine Stalking page to see the kind of applicant that was successful.

Okay, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 11
Hey all. I'm just linking this to the Index as the official 2013 thread. Good luck guys! :h:
Reply 12
I think I'll be applying to cardiff, I really loved it there!
Reply 13
I'm fairly sure the cut off is 6A*s for GCSE as I have 6A*s and 3As and i got an interview last year but some people at my school with 5A*s didn't but cardiff do somthing like the top third of GCSE scores so it depends on who applies :smile:
Reply 14
In the admissions policy for what they look at in personal statements and references it mentions "Sense of social awareness". What exactly does that mean and how would you include it?
Reply 15
Original post by madimoment
In the admissions policy for what they look at in personal statements and references it mentions "Sense of social awareness". What exactly does that mean and how would you include it?

I guess charity work or something similar?
I'm applying! good luck guys. I think the cut off was 6A*'s+3A's last year.
Reply 17
Original post by royallyrandom

Original post by -hannah
I think I'll be applying to cardiff, I really loved it there!

Original post by frogs r everywhere

:excited: Good luck guys (and gals)! Thought I'd pop in to give you all some of my support (and be thankful I'm not in your position :tongue:).
Reply 18
Original post by Angury
:excited: Good luck guys (and gals)! Thought I'd pop in to give you all some of my support (and be thankful I'm not in your position :tongue:).

thank you!
Original post by frogs r everywhere

What about 7A*s an A and a B? I only did nine GCSEs!

Quick Reply

Latest