The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

York St John Upper Primary PGCE 2013

Has anyone been invited to interview yet?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Eek.. I've applied but have only got the acknowledgement email from them. Apparently they are interviewing this month but I've not heard anything yet!
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Reply 2
Same, they told me they interview from November every 2 weeks up until the new year

Reply 3
There are interview dates lined up for next week and the end of November.
From an insider :wink:
Reply 4
Ohhh lovely, thanks!

Abit short notice for next week so hopefully end of Nov, Fingers crossed!

Reply 5
Oh,

Now the QTS skills tests are compulsory to pass before starting a PGCE in 2013, will YSJ still expect candidates to complete their lower level tests at the interviews?

Reply 6
I passed my skills tests last week. YSJ though have asked for the original documentation to say I have passed! Seems they only know if you have passed if you have told them!

Am guessing they will still use their own maths and English tests too though as most won't have passed before interview.

Next week? Doesn't leave much prep time. Surely we would have heard by now if they were and mine was one of the first to be sent off. I'm so fed up of waiting to know if I have an interview or not.

Reply 7
Well done! Will get mine booked asap.

Mine was sent off as soon as GTTR systems were fixed (on the Tues) so hopefully I'm also one of the first interviewed (if they like me).

YSJ have just said they are still doing their testing

Reply 8
Yeah was hoping I would be interviewed quite early (if they like me) but will just have to wait and see. If its every 2 weeks after next week though that leaves interviews to be in the busiest week in November for me with deadlines galore. Wonderful. Will just have to keep on top of everything just in case. Would have thought they would give us at least 2 weeks notice for interview to book accommodation and trains etc. Fingers crossed.

Do you mind me asking how much experience you have? Everyone keeps telling me I have plenty but I'm not sure.

Anyone got any tips on hoe to get through the interview?
Reply 9
I was thinking 14 days but atleast 7.

Ive just graduated so about 70hrs voluntary plus I've been a TA part time (15hrs/w) since Sept and also Camp America. I didn't get on this year as I only had camp behind me

How about you?

Reply 10
Wow you do have a lot of experience. Someone who has just graduated from YSJ doing Lower Primary said they like it if you have been a TA before starting the course.

I have nearly 2 years, 1 day per week termtime with KS2 and a week with KS1. I've taught English in China for 2 weeks and taught locals on volunteering projects before also. Hoping that because mine has been over a long period it shows commitment to being a teacher but will have to see. If I got an interview I think I would be quite confident but then I don't know if I have everything they are looking for lol.
Reply 11
Likewise, you're in a strong position :smile:

Quick question...

Is the Numeracy test 63% pass overall?
Just wondering because the mental arithmetic is my weak point so in theory I could do rubbish on that but still pass overall?

Any revision material you recommend?

I've just GOOGLED PGCE interview questions and guna practice

Reply 12
Original post by Nicky T
Likewise, you're in a strong position :smile:

Quick question...

Is the Numeracy test 63% pass overall?
Just wondering because the mental arithmetic is my weak point so in theory I could do rubbish on that but still pass overall?

Any revision material you recommend?

I've just GOOGLED PGCE interview questions and guna practice

Fingers crossed.

I think numeracy is 63% pass overall. I think you can pretty much pass by doing all the onscreen questions right and none of the mental maths. My advice would be to practise. I typed into amazon QTS skills tests and the top 2 books were really good. Both had harder questions than the real thing but was good practise.

I saw on YSJ interview page that they should give you 10 days from invitation to the actual interview so it hopefully wont be next week. But, after interview they have 10 working days to give you an answer. I don't do this waiting around thing lol.. Did you apply to YSJ last year? Looking at the interview schedule it doesnt look too bad-1hr for the tests, 15 min individual interview and a 7 min group presentation. Will just have to forget uni stuff for the a few weeks if I get an interview to prepare.
Reply 13
Ahh cool. Thanks.

Yeah but didn't get an interview unfortunately. I wasn't expecting to mind and kinda glad I'm more experienced.

10 days sounds good. Will go on 7 to be safe lol

Reply 14
Original post by Nicky T
Ahh cool. Thanks.

Yeah but didn't get an interview unfortunately. I wasn't expecting to mind and kinda glad I'm more experienced.

10 days sounds good. Will go on 7 to be safe lol

Yeah thinking being a TA will really help but I've already had one gap year lol. How much experience did you have last year when you applied? x
Reply 15
Just camp, non classroom based :frown:

Reply 16
Have you had an email from the disabled department at YSJ about filling out a form? They seem to think I have a disability on my form stating on my application I put A-No disability! I think they may have made a mistake somewhere lol! X

Reply 17
Yeah, I've just checked. I also put no. Probs just a formality (health and safety).

Does this mean they 'like' us? Surely wouldn't be going to these lengths otherwise :smile: eeek

Reply 18
Few! Glad it's not just me! Lol! I was thinking that-surely they wouldn't have asked us if weren't going to continue our application! Eek! I hope we hear something next week :-) x

Reply 19
Original post by mad-cow18
Few! Glad it's not just me! Lol! I was thinking that-surely they wouldn't have asked us if weren't going to continue our application! Eek! I hope we hear something next week :-) x

I have interview this week and yes I got that disability form this weekend too. I responded to say there must be some mistake lol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending