The Student Room Group

What should I wear at an interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Helenia
If you own a suit, just wear it. It's the safest option. NOT a dinner suit though, that would be ridiculous.

I think I will do then :smile: I'm not entirely sure what a dinner suit is, but I am guessing its something a bit too over the top like a tux?

Original post by Democracy
You're not an actor giving a press conference.

A tux is overkill but if you wear a suit you definitely won't stick out as that's what nearly all the other guys will be wearing.

Remember, whilst being overdressed might make you feel a bit silly it's forgiveable compared to being underdressed e.g. jeans and a hoody. Now, I'm sure someone will post stating how they're certain that their next door neighbour's friend's cousin rocked up to his Oxford interview in a Big Bird outfit, but that's very rare and not something you should seek to emulate. The med school interview is indirectly a job interview. You must look professional. Would you turn up for a registrar or consultant interview in casual attire?

Very true, thanks :smile:

Original post by MedMed12
which uni is this for? :smile:

Cambridge, Edinburgh, Barts and the London, Bristol :smile:

EDIT: You mean the interview? None yet, but I am anticipating at least one. If not, I guess I will need a suit at some point so it won't be a loss :smile:

Original post by AJ2895
Wear a suit. Unlike other university interviews, medical interviews are like job interviews, so dress accordingly. Besides, suits are awesome :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by BOD13
I wore a shirt/tie/jumper combo, but you would not look out of place in a suit, this is what the majority wear. As said above, NOT a dinner suit. If you don't know the difference make sure to get it clear before turning up

Reply 22
Original post by ERdoctor
I think I will do then :smile: I'm not entirely sure what a dinner suit is, but I am guessing its something a bit too over the top like a tux?

Very true, thanks :smile:

Cambridge, Edinburgh, Barts and the London, Bristol :smile:

EDIT: You mean the interview? None yet, but I am anticipating at least one. If not, I guess I will need a suit at some point so it won't be a loss :smile:

nice
bristol have started giving interview invitations out
I think the whole issue of uni interview dress is overhyped. I say this as someone who got into Cambridge despite wearing nothing smarter than a shirt and jumper, dark jeans and smart shoes to interview.
I bought a dress from primark my my interviews :smile: Just go smart if you feel inappropriate change you probably are. Whatever you wear won't matter so long as you look professional.
Reply 25

A dinner suit IS a tuxedo (plus of course the correct trousers to go with it). Tuxedo is the American name, dinner jacket/suit is British. As you can imagine, it would be totally inappropriate to wear this to an interview.
Wow, I'm amazed this thread can go on for so long.

Final answer: Wear a suit, it shows you are serious and care about the opportunity, if you need a rough idea (http://l.yimg.com/l/im_siggbUOkz_6Vy7rIoxEX7EprYA---y626/tv/us/img/site/30/69/0000053069_20081028152420.jpg)

If you feel a suit would make you so uncomfortable that you can't talk properly (?!) then lose the jacket and tie.

Thread/
Reply 27
would this sort of look be ok, but with a more solid colour tie: http://www.mrporter.com/mrporter/content/journal/160311//FiveWaysToWear/mainImage5.jpg
Reply 28
Original post by slobo95
would this sort of look be ok, but with a more solid colour tie: http://www.mrporter.com/mrporter/content/journal/160311//FiveWaysToWear/mainImage5.jpg

Yeah, it would be fine, though I'm not so keen on the shoes. Probably wouldn't actually make a difference though.
BRB-scrubs.jpg

Seriously, your regular casual clothes would be fine.
Reply 31
Original post by Helenia
Yeah, it would be fine, though I'm not so keen on the shoes. Probably wouldn't actually make a difference though.

brown leather shoes, was what i plan on wearing :smile:
Hi, I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times on here. I am still stuck though. I was thinking of wearing charcoal trousers and a blazer with a white shirt and no tie. Now I am thinking the blazer might not be a good idea, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb but obviously want to feel comfortable in knowing that I look smart. Not to impress or show off, but to look professional, and to show that I that I am serious and have made an effort.

I am a male applying to Medicine.

Something you feel comfortable in, but also smart.
Maybe a button-down shirt and trousers, or a smart looking jumper. You don't have to wear a blazer though it that's what you feel most comfortable in go for it.

Make sure that the clothes fit you when your interview comes around and that they are clean, ironed and don't have holes in them! Oh and polish your shoes etc.

Don't forget to make sure the rest of your appearance is neat aka neat hair, clean fair, shave if you need to... you get the idea. And if you have quite a journey consider whether you will need to brush up your appearance right before the interview; if you are having lunch before take mouthwash or breath mints, take a comb/brush if you need to spend 3 hours catching trains!

I'm probably going a bit over board on obvious advice now, so anyway, good luck!
Reply 33
Original post by Hippokrates
For a girl is a coloured pencil skirt say maroon smart or should I stick to black.

Black is safer
Why does no one just wanna wear a regular suit? Is it just me who never wants to stick out or seem different for any reason in these sorts of things? When it's something as big as a medical school interview I would be too much of a sissy not to wear a plain grey/black suit with a plain dark tie. It might just be OCD but it would make me feel more comfortable (not literally though, I do understand the comfort issue you guys bring up) and not anxious about how I look before the interview so I can focus on other things instead.

Play it safe if you think there's any chance you're like me! If not then I admire you for not restricting yourself.
Original post by Hippokrates
For a girl is a coloured pencil skirt say maroon smart or should I stick to black.

Play it safe with black,I think.

Original post by Newbie123
Do you really think the people in charge of admissions care about your choice of apparel? As long as you're not dressed like a hobo/slut/football hooligan they won't even care. It's not like they're gonna be like "Oh, we like this applicant, but this other applicant was wearing a suit! That must mean he's a better candidate for Medicine."

You do need to show professionalism in Medicine, though. Between two similar candidates, they'd choose the one that seemed to take it more seriously/the one in professional attire. Unless you're a young genius, you need to give them as little as possible to be able to discriminate against you for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending