The Student Room Group

Need documents from 1599

I'm doing my 2nd year research project for English and need a document from around this era to show public opinion of Queen Elizabeth, but I'm struggling to find any links to anything similar. Any historians know a source online?
What is the name of the particular document? If you can't find it try contacting your university librarian, they may be able to help. You may even have a librarian specifically for English or History students that can help you find the document or where you may be able to get hold of it. To be honest, being a document that old, I would have thought it wouldn't be easily publicly accessible and probably in a museum lol.
Original post by Hustler-1337
What is the name of the particular document? If you can't find it try contacting your university librarian, they may be able to help. You may even have a librarian specifically for English or History students that can help you find the document or where you may be able to get hold of it. To be honest, being a document that old, I would have thought it wouldn't be easily publicly accessible and probably in a museum lol.

See this is what I thought, it is over 500 years old. But my lecturer is adement that I should find and reference a document from this era. I would like to find something that shows popular public opinion of Elizabeth from that era but I'm struggling.
Reply 3
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=713

I found this but you need to pay to access the whole works :frown:

http://eudocs.lib.byu.edu/index.php/Britain_1486-1688 This might also help you somewhat.
LSE archives?
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Approachable
I'm doing my 2nd year research project for English and need a document from around this era to show public opinion of Queen Elizabeth, but I'm struggling to find any links to anything similar. Any historians know a source online?

Finding 'public opinion' in the sixteenth century can be tricky and much of what you will find is political treatises/ambassador's opinions/dedications such as that at the start of Spenser's Faerie Queene (though sometimes views from other areas of the social spectrum do survive).
Your best bet would be to start with a secondary source that pulls together the sources and references them. There is a book called "Queenship and political discourse in the Elizabethan Realms" that might be worth a look as it seems to have a chapter on perceptions of Elizabeth. Otherwise find a biography of Elizabeth and look at the chapter on her later years. It is unlikely you will find a document exactly from 1599 but there will be ones from around that time. Printed political treatises etc have sometimes been digitised - google search is pretty good at turning them up, sometimes freely available and other times it will depend on what subscriptions your university has.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kiki09
Finding 'public opinion' in the sixteenth century can be tricky and much of what you will find is political treatises/ambassador's opinions/dedications such as that at the start of Spenser's Faerie Queene (though sometimes views from other areas of the social spectrum do survive).
Your best bet would be to start with a secondary source that pulls together the sources and references them. There is a book called "Queenship and political discourse in the Elizabethan Realms" that might be worth a look as it seems to have a chapter on perceptions of Elizabeth. Otherwise find a biography of Elizabeth and look at the chapter on her later years. It is unlikely you will find a document exactly from 1599 but there will be ones from around that time. Printed political treatises etc have sometimes been digitised - google search is pretty good at turning them up, sometimes freely available and other times it will depend on what subscriptions your university has.

Thank you for the book reference. Think this will help me very much. +rep for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending