The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moyosola
Ah, tips. Well, get straight to the point in your answers. Time is of essence. If my memory serves me right, you might have two essay questions in the crime section(?)
Focus on your analysis and evaluation because you get the most marks in these two areas. Always refer to the strength or weakness of an argument or theory, and whether it supports or disputes the notion proposed in the question.
I wish I could say more, but it feels like it's been so long since I did this exam, I actually can't remember what tips I shared with people, and the tips I took on myself.

Nevertheless, with theory and methods, you can easily gain most of your marks on this as there tends to be scope for sufficient analysis and evaluation as you can use theories to support each other or against each other, similarly, you can suggest better ideas and back them up with other theories that may seem "irrelevant" to the question. Also, get equipped with very good studies. I remember I used the Tea Room Trade study by Humphreys for a question - it showed that I read outside the textbook, etc. I spent more time reading studies for theory and methods to be honest - I found this section most intriguing! But make sure you're being relevant,,and you're answering the question.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what came up in June, but I know there was a question on Suicide (here, I talked about Atkinson, Douglas, Durkheim(first), and I think Taylor).
There was also a question on the environment and crime (I'm not too sure about this one, so don't take my word for it -- but it was mighty similar).
In theory and methods, the question was on the strength of interpretivism to study/look at society today. This one was a good question, I seemed to have a lot to write about, on both sides of the argument.

I'm sorry if I'm no help at all, I'm surprised I can't remember most of it seeing as this was my best exam, and I achieved an A on it.

Good luck, though.

Overall how did you do in Sociology? You at University?

Yeah, what you have said is very helpful! You see how Suicide came up for you, do you reckon I'll have to revise it? How did you revise for the 15 mark questions?
And how much should I roughly write for each question.

HOW SHOULD I REVISE? :frown: I don't know how to really get a start with the C&D, aswell as mainly the 33marker
Original post by matthewhernon
Overall how did you do in Sociology? You at University?

Yeah, what you have said is very helpful! You see how Suicide came up for you, do you reckon I'll have to revise it? How did you revise for the 15 mark questions?
And how much should I roughly write for each question.

HOW SHOULD I REVISE? :frown: I don't know how to really get a start with the C&D, aswell as mainly the 33marker

anyone doing this exam, i will make a revision thread asap, so check it out
the thread
A2 sociology Crime and Deviance Mon 28th Jan 2013 thread Official
a2 sociology/crime and deviance unit 4 2013 discussion/revision

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2198638
Reply 2044
how do you gain high marks on methods in context question?! any essay plans? :confused:
Does anyone know most/ all the theories that might come up for the crime and deviance exam? (theory and methods question)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending