The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Your predicted grades will need to be 7s, as far as I can tell - unfair, because yes, they are worth more than As at A-level, but... Although they might not be bothered if there are a few 6s.

What subject are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 2
From the website of oxford admissions:

For Scottish applicants, in terms of performance, tutors will normally be looking for candidates who have grades AAAAA/B in their Highers. Candidates who have taken Highers and do not intend to take Advanced Highers are strongly advised to contact the Tutor for Admissions at their college of preference to find out how their application would be viewed in the light of their qualifications. Offers made to candidates on the basis of the Advanced Higher subjects are likely to be set at the A/B level.
Reply 3
um, yes, but Scottish highers aren't the same as the IB...
Reply 4
im thinking of doing ppe at trinity.
My freind got in with a 38 and two 7s, two 6s, and two 5s to study english lit at st Annes.
Ive heard 38 is equivalent to an AAA offer, but i was looking for other views.
Reply 5
Most of the people I've talked to who've applied to oxford or cambridge have got offers of around 38, but it can be a bit higher - I suppose it depends how much they want you... One of my friends has an offer of 39 without bonus for ppe, but I don't know which college, and I know it varies from college to college as well, so...

If you're predicted around 38-40, you should probably get an interview (but don't take my word for it...:P)
Reply 6
is there any way to find out which colleges are less oversubscribed for ppe?
Reply 7
look in the prospectus.
And the PPE course is the hardest to get into- offers range from 38, if they really really like you, to 43. and you need 766-777 at higher. usually at least 776.
Reply 8
Dun worry. Make sure you're predicted 38+. Then they'll invite you for an interview, and that's what matters.
Reply 9
When you mention the scores above, do you include the bonus points?
Reply 10
It varies - some colleges/offers include the bonus points, some don't...
Reply 11
well, i was predicted 40 without bonus points, cambidge still rejected me. my friend was predicted 42 without bonus, he still got rejected. another friend got an offer of 39. another friend got an offer or 42.

the point i'm trying to make is if you are above 38 then cambridge will consider you. but after they invite you for an interview, your points don't matter so much. the most important thing will be your interview.

and college-wise, the easiest (and the lowest on the ranking) is new hall. but it's only for the girls...
Reply 12
exactly... a girl at my skl is predicted 41 or 42 im not sure, and applied to do geography at cambridge...

.......she went to the interview, and guess what she was offered?? a place with 37 points :eek: :captain: :deal: :banghead: :congrats: :bumps: :dancing: :albertein :turtle: !!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck for all those applying...

and about equivalances between ib and a-levels, i'm sorry to say, bt i find ib way tougher... plus at a-levels you can resit, as well as the grade boundaries are (tend to be)lower for the higher marks!
Reply 13
you can resit the IB - I know several people who are...
Reply 14
true, thats right, sorry. i think at i.b. you can resit up to 3 times, but these always have to be within the exam times (i.e. may or november) i'm not sure how it works for a-levels, but as the courses tend to be modular and you do papers throughout the 2 years, then you can repeat them if you got a bad mark (not sure whether you do get your mark back tho either, but nevertheless i'd say thats a big advantage).

Latest

Trending

Trending