The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Last week I attended Corpus Christi for a Law with LSE interview and I have to say it was both the best and most horrific week ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, everyone was lovely and Oxford is drop dead gorgeous with the cobbles and lights...but oh my word were the interviews hard. I blanked and waffled and gave seriously flawed arguments :/

I felt like I learnt so much though and in retrospect, there really wasn't anything to be overly nervous of so my advice is to go in, enjoy it and explore the city!

Oh and visit the Covered Market and a G&D's for some post-interview comfort eating!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 8281
Original post by PorQpine
So after going through two interviews in History & Economics at the college I was allocated to and three others at another, I was asked whether I'd be willing to also be considered for a place in PPE at my first college, since they only have one place for H&E and are trying to be as flexible as possible with that one.

I couldn't stay over the weekend, so it looks like I'm going to have a surprise interview in Politics/Philosophy + possibly Economics over Skype this week in addition to two exams outside of Oxford. Until now, I've had virtually no preparation for the PP part of PPE.

Can anybody help me out here?

Well it looks like I'm off the hook.
Got an E-Mail this morning saying that I won't in fact be interviewed for PPE and will receive a reply for H&E "in due course" - Presumably 10th of January.
Original post by nulli tertius
It does not seem obvious why Oxford can no longer meet a timetable established when a unified applications system was first created in the 1960s. Communications improvements will have more than offset the increased number of applicants.

This might be a trial year but as with second post deliveries, weekly bin collections and the milkman, it is difficult see Oxford returning to the old system. I don't think it is fair on candidates. I know Cambridge does it but they have a winter pool and as they interview a far greater percentage of candidates, being called for interview means far less.

The UCAS equal consideration deadline has slipped by a month as well. Once upon a time it was 15th December. I can't help thinking that the UCAS date and the Oxford move are related.

I do agree that having one standardised date to inform all applicants is definitely better than different colleges sending their offers/rejections at different times, but I was just wondering why it's all the way in January, when in previous years Oxford applicants would have found out by the end of December, especially since sending emails is always an option - much faster than the post.
Original post by berryripple
Yes, and law.

oh lovely! no matter, im sure your not the first or last! but, out of interset, were they nice to you? or did they carry on intellectually battering you?
Just had my Maths interview, I don't know whether I should be really happy or tearing my hair out right now.

Oh, and I managed to ask the interviewers (who seemed lovely) a question they didn't know the answer to...

WELL DONE JESS :sigh:
Original post by jessiekatieglen
Oh, and I managed to ask the interviewers (who seemed lovely) a question they didn't know the answer to...

What question was that? XD
Original post by jessiekatieglen
Just had my Maths interview, I don't know whether I should be really happy or tearing my hair out right now.

WELL DONE JESS :sigh:

Were you interviewed by Oliver Riordan? He's average height, has dark hair, glasses and looks pretty typically like a maths nerd (and me :ninja: ). What did you think of him? Feel free to PM
Original post by starkrush
Were you interviewed by Oliver Riordan? He's average height, has dark hair, glasses and looks pretty typically like a maths nerd (and me :ninja: ). What did you think of him? Feel free to PM

No, I think I've got an interview with him later, I had an interview with two guys, they seemed quite young and were really friendly.

Original post by joan2468
What question was that? XD

It was based on a question from the MAT, and the interviewer was just like, oh I've only seen the paper briefly...
OK, laptop almost out of power and no plug sockets in Costa :frown:

Had an Economics interview this morning (game theory and maths, really not sure how well I did) and I have one tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else having them now!

It's really nice at the college apart from the lack of internetz. Loving that I can chat to so many other people who love PPE, I'm not a weirdo for once. :'D
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
Hahaha, well done for getting an interview :biggrin:
Medicine at Merton & Lincoln - I leave tomorrow!

Good luck eeee! :smile:
Original post by SecretGarden
oh lovely! no matter, im sure your not the first or last! but, out of interset, were they nice to you? or did they carry on intellectually battering you?

Well it was a 20 minute interview and I was about 18 or so minutes in so it was sort of tailing off at that point anyway :smile:
Reply 8291
Did someone's comment just get removed? I tried clicking through the link to this thread and it said I didn't have privileges to access it.. :holmes:

Side note: I can't stop worrying about getting in, it's getting me down and killing my interest in school at the moment. Ironic considering how much the environment there makes me want to work hard. :lol:
Original post by berryripple
Well it was a 20 minute interview and I was about 18 or so minutes in so it was sort of tailing off at that point anyway :smile:

oh thats okay then! well best of best of luck!!
Original post by Arva
Did someone's comment just get removed? I tried clicking through the link to this thread and it said I didn't have privileges to access it.. :holmes:

Side note: I can't stop worrying about getting in, it's getting me down and killing my interest in school at the moment. Ironic considering how much the environment there makes me want to work hard. :lol:

i feel the samee! despite the fact I love reading I'm almost afraid to read! i had the same when i went for the Xfactor (don't ask) and when I got 4 no's off the judges I couldn't sing for months!! it's almost as if it takes over your life and the feeling of disappointment overrides your love for the subject!
Original post by PorQpine
So after going through two interviews in History & Economics at the college I was allocated to and three others at another, I was asked whether I'd be willing to also be considered for a place in PPE at my first college, since they only have one place for H&E and are trying to be as flexible as possible with that one.

I couldn't stay over the weekend, so it looks like I'm going to have a surprise interview in Politics/Philosophy + possibly Economics over Skype this week in addition to two exams outside of Oxford. Until now, I've had virtually no preparation for the PP part of PPE.

Can anybody help me out here?

well that sounds rather promising that the economics side of you is rather brilliant! if anything, just try and revise as much, explaining to them that- although you aren't as well revised in the PP that you are strong in the economics side. But, as always, looking stuff up and doing a bit of work won't hurt you! with the knowledge you don't know much they probably won't be too rigorous with you!
Why has this interview taken over my whole life!?!? i can't stop thinking about it ! waaaaaaaaaaaaah :'(

this is the only thing slightly making me think less

:bunny:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8296
[video="youtube;8VvB_UmmIzk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvB_UmmIzk[/video]

:moon::moon::moon:

:love::love::love:

In a good mood again.
Reply 8297
Hi, sorry, I'm new to this, but for anyone out there who IS at Oxford at the moment (or people who have friends from previous years): do you know students who got in even though they missed one of their A grades - say if they got A* in the other two? Or is it pretty brutal: get your three As or else?
Thanks!
Original post by Buddug
Hi, sorry, I'm new to this, but for anyone out there who IS at Oxford at the moment (or people who have friends from previous years): do you know students who got in even though they missed one of their A grades - say if they got A* in the other two? Or is it pretty brutal: get your three As or else?
Thanks!

Only with extenuating circumstances. The number of people I know who missed (AAB, A*AB, A*A*B) and didn't get in is far greater than that of those who did.
Original post by such_a_lady
Only with extenuating circumstances. The number of people I know who missed (AAB, A*AB, A*A*B) and didn't get in is far greater than that of those who did.

Missing an offer like that must be awful :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending