The Student Room Group
Reply 9960
Original post by The Lyceum
Maybe, but now I'm in a mixture, having applied to one (well, waiting for letter writers to upload...). Annoying, because I already 100% know that one of the 5(/6?) places is basically going to a very annoying alumnus/a (:colone:) of said institution...grrr bah bug and hum!

I just feel so out of my depth. I'm good at Classics but, let's face it, I'm a bloody terrible student and will be a completely laissez faire teacher who will forever be receiving annoying reprimands like "you can't make students fight each other for the only A! Latin class is NOT Highlander!", "stop teaching grammar via rap!" etc.

I think (if possible) it would be a good idea to address some of this self doubt/criticism before you start...I imagine things are only going to get more challenging from here on. You haven't mentioned them, but surely you have good reasons for wanting to do a PhD?
Original post by Bluth.
I think (if possible) it would be a good idea to address some of this self doubt/criticism before you start...I imagine things are only going to get more challenging from here on. You haven't mentioned them, but surely you have good reasons for wanting to do a PhD?

Yes, of course. I've a passion for my subject and hope one day to be its ultimate final boss battle.
Reply 9962
Yes, of course. I've a passion for my subject and hope one day to be its ultimate final boss battle.

Ok...:tongue:

Out of interest, why/how are you a "bloody terrible student?"
Original post by Bluth.
Ok...:tongue:

Out of interest, why/how are you a "bloody terrible student?"

Because I tend to get obsessed with my own random research projects rather than set curricula, can't time table too well and have massive trouble dealing with retarded course mates.
Reply 9964
Hello again.:biggrin: Have I missed much?
Watch this. All of you.

I've got a second draft of my PS, has anyone got a bit of spare time and wouldn't mind looking at it ? It's just over a page long, I'd like to have as many opinions on it as possible. Pretty please? With a cherry on top ? :puppyeyes:
Reply 9966
Original post by Anatheme
Watch this. All of you.

Except those of us who aren't in the UK and can't watch anything on iplayer, you mean.:huff:
I've got a second draft of my PS, has anyone got a bit of spare time and wouldn't mind looking at it ? It's just over a page long, I'd like to have as many opinions on it as possible. Pretty please? With a cherry on top ? :puppyeyes:

I wouldn't mind.:smile:
Original post by hobnob

YAI. Hobnob's back. What's the situation on vivas etc?

Now you ask what's gone on I can't think of much :s-smilie:.
Original post by hobnob
Except those of us who aren't in the UK and can't watch anything on iplayer, you mean.:huff:

Get a UK VPN. Or expatshield. Takes 10 minutes.
I wanted to go to Tesco because they do these cheese and tomato pasta salads that I quite like, and decided to brave the rain and cycle 15min to get to the shop, only to be told they had none left. Never mind, I decide to get other stuff, I get to the till, scan everything and realise I have no money whatsoever… I cancel the thing, go back on my bike, cycle on the cycle path until a granny comes out of a bus (sounds familiar…?) and starts abusing me and telling me to go back on the road.

This time, I stopped and showed her the blue sign not far from us with a bike on it, and tell her that the lines and bike on the path are to indicate that bikes are allowed. She just blanked me and carried on with her rant. I'm starting to think there's an anti-cyclists grannyhood in Oxford…

I get home mildly drenched, find my card and go to M&S which obviously had none of the food I wanted and for twice the price. Still got a sort of pasta salad that should do, and then the HSBC ATM just wouldn't give me any money saying it couldn't read my card. I'm with HSBC…

But it's ok, I'm home, finishing the packing, food's cooking and there's Nigelissima on iPlayer.

Original post by hobnob

Use a VPN? :ninja:

If you send me your email address by PM I'll email it to you straight away, thank you so much!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9970
Original post by Aeschylus
YAI. Hobnob's back. What's the situation on vivas etc?

All done now.:smile:
Original post by Anatheme
Use a VPN? :ninja:

I did that through the university VPN for a couple of years, but after a while that no longer worked.:frown:
If you send me your email address by PM I'll email it to you straight away, thank you so much!

OK, will do. Just don't expect me to say anything profound!
Original post by hobnob

Well, I finally became a Dinosaur Priest if that counts?
Reply 9972
Well, I finally became a Dinosaur Priest if that counts?

Excellent!:biggrin: What breed?
Bluth: Jesus, I always forget about dropbox stuff. I'm such a noobface :emo:

Oh well. Added sj27 now. So she's stuck with me :colone:

Original post by hobnob

HOBBY HOBBY HOBNOB!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumphug: :woo: :yay:

Welcome back. I've certainly missed you and your wit :yep:

:hugs:
Reply 9974
Original post by hobnob
All done now.:smile:

Dr Hobnob then? :yay:

What have you missed? Craggy and Alba found new houses and most of the rest of us found things to grumble about, basically.
Reply 9975
Original post by hobnob

Congrats :biggrin:

Not much new my end although saved my thesis from rock bottom before it has even properly started! New area's so much better too!

ETS: we're getting close to needing a new thread and thread title!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9976
Dr Hobnob then? :yay:
No, there'll be more paperwork until that. But I survived the viva (barely), so I'm one step closer.:smile:
Original post by hobnob
Excellent!:biggrin: What breed?

T-Rex, naturalich. Oh, I'm also applying abroad and apparently somehow managed to have a non completely embarrassing grasp of spoken French, which was nice.
Reply 9978
Original post by apotoftea
Congrats :biggrin:

Not much new my end although saved my thesis from rock bottom before it has even properly started! New area's so much better too!

ETS: we're getting close to needing a new thread and thread title!

What's the limit - 10000 posts? Eek, then it's close! (Panics at the pressure to come up with thread title within less than 20 posts and the thought of wasting precious post count on stupid questions)
Reply 9979
Original post by sj27
What's the limit - 10000 posts? Eek, then it's close! (Panics at the pressure to come up with thread title within less than 20 posts and the thought of wasting precious post count on stupid questions)

Yup!

GOGSoc Episode VI: The Next Generation ?

Latest

Trending

Trending