The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology (F211) - Jan 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha
i'm so worried! i've been working so hard, doing every single possible rehearsal and revision. in practise papers i'm getting A's and B's but im soo so worried i'll end up with a E or something in the real thing! people who have done it, what's the best advice you can give?

Use specific terminology and make sure you have a good grasp of what they are asking you about in the question. I've gone off answering F211 questions and I have missed a word or something and as a result I'm 100% wrong.
Reply 281
Would 45 out of 60 be considered an A? (On the June 2012 paper).
Reply 282
Original post by Konflict
Would 45 out of 60 be considered an A? (On the June 2012 paper).

ikr, by far the easiest exam paper out of all the past ones.
Original post by lilyobz
you are a true saint, ive been searching for these for ages!!!!!!

seriously I dont know who you are, but I want to give you the biggest hug right now.

thank you soooooooooooooooooo mushc :smile:

aww, same. I have been looking for it for ages. So i decided to ask my teacher. And she said she is will give it to me. I am in year 13. this is my nightmare paper!!! so damn hard!! I missed out on my A beacuse of this paper!!
resitting this paper. hopefully it wont be this hard.
anyways, hope it helps u.
Original post by lilyobz
ikr, by far the easiest exam paper out of all the past ones.

what !!! really? I found it so hard
Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha
i'm getting A's and B's but im soo so worried i'll end up with a E or something in the real thing! people who have done it, what's the best advice you can give?

Last year, I worked my life out, in past papers I got B and A. The night before exam, I panicked and got over stressed. That was the worst thing that u can get ur self into. That made me feel so unprepared and I panicked in the exam too. I managed to get an D in the paper!!!!
So I got B overall in Bio. I resitiing the paper.

Dont panick! As long as u have revised. u will be fine!
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
anyone who wants to revise?

Yes please I need a study partner
Reply 287
Original post by Chloeyah
If you have a graph (the one we did today was over a time period of 6 secs) there will be a 'wavy' line which spans a particular number of seconds.

E.G The wavy line (inspiration & expiration) spans 5 secs.
There are 60 secs in 1 min SO
60/5 is 12.
You're only counting 1 breath, so 12x1 is 12 and there are 12beats/min

Literally, don't overthink it. I kept overthinking it and wondering why I was the only one getting it wrong :/

Once you think about it logically and sensibly its super easy!

Your calculating breaths per second, if anyone heart beated 12 times per minute they would be dead lol. Heart beats are more difficult because they will normally give you an ECG. If you know what one heart beat is on an ECG you just do the same
Hey, if asked about staining in light and electron microscopy, should i not mention false coloring of electron microscope images? just staining before hand?
I did quite well in the june 2012 paper, i did it for my mock exam and I got 89% on it which I was very proud of, I thought it was very hard as some of the suggest why questions were stupid. I have started doing past papers over the holidays and I have not got below 90%, I think they key is actually knowing the exam technique, not just what you know. I discovered that writing EVERYTHING you know that is linked to the question is the best way forward. Also when doing past papers, re-write the questions that you got wrong or answered poorly using the mark scheme, so then you know perfectly how to answer a similar question the next time it comes up. In reference to OCR throwing surprises, I think the cell organelle questions are very similar so you can never go wrong on those :smile:
Hi guys :smile: Can someone, in simple stages outline the process of translocation for me?
Im sure it'll benefit others too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 291
Original post by scienceboy16
Hi guys :smile: Can someone, in simple stages outline the process of translocation for me?
Im sure it'll benefit others too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Translocation is the movement of assimilates (mainly sucrose) throughout the plant where it is needed, it is released at the sourse end where there is a high concentration of it(where it is produced) and is removed at the sink end where there is a low concentration of it(where is it needed)

Sucrose is actively loaded into the Phloem tissue using active transport as the companion cells transport the H+ Ions out of the cell using ATP, there becomes a high concentration of H+ Ions out of the cell and thus they re-enter the companion the cell by facilitated diffusion, down the concentration gradient, as H+ ions are co transporters sucrose also travels down the concentration gradient into the companion cell where there is now a build up of sucrose so they diffuse down the concentration gradient into the sieve tube elements, this lowers the water potential so water enters the sieve tube element from near by xylem tissues, there is a high pressure here (at the source end) and at the sink end sucrose is removed so there is a high water potential and water also moves out of the sieve tube element at the sink at by osmosis, there is low pressure here. due to the hydrostatic pressure gradient sucrose moves from the source to the sink end of the plant.

Probably a 9 mark question including QWC
Reply 292
Original post by Priya_Biju
I just got the 2012 june F211 from my teacher. Anyone want it? Am i allowed to post it? Well, I desperately needed it, so I am sure other people need it too.
Please let me know if I have to take it off before u give me a warning or negative rating.

hey, got the mark scheme for this?
Reply 293
Original post by Loiks94

Thought i might help out on this bit..

Here it is :smile:
Original post by joe1545
Thought i might help out on this bit..

Here it is :smile:

Thank you have been searching AGES for this!! :smile:
Original post by Loiks94

nope, but I guess a kind person has uploaded it. :smile:
Original post by Loiks94
Translocation is the movement of assimilates (mainly sucrose) throughout the plant where it is needed, it is released at the sourse end where there is a high concentration of it(where it is produced) and is removed at the sink end where there is a low concentration of it(where is it needed)

Sucrose is actively loaded into the Phloem tissue using active transport as the companion cells transport the H+ Ions out of the cell using ATP, there becomes a high concentration of H+ Ions out of the cell and thus they re-enter the companion the cell by facilitated diffusion, down the concentration gradient, as H+ ions are co transporters sucrose also travels down the concentration gradient into the companion cell where there is now a build up of sucrose so they diffuse down the concentration gradient into the sieve tube elements, this lowers the water potential so water enters the sieve tube element from near by xylem tissues, there is a high pressure here (at the source end) and at the sink end sucrose is removed so there is a high water potential and water also moves out of the sieve tube element at the sink at by osmosis, there is low pressure here. due to the hydrostatic pressure gradient sucrose moves from the source to the sink end of the plant.

Probably a 9 mark question including QWC

I was getting panicked because i thought there was more to it:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 297
Original post by Peanut-Sleeper
Hey, if asked about staining in light and electron microscopy, should i not mention false coloring of electron microscope images? just staining before hand?

Staining only refers to physically staining the specimen with heavy metal ions. However if you are asked a question on this topic where you are running out of things to say, knowing ocr, you could gain a mark on a longer question by referring to computer editing colours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 298
Does anyone know what is likely to come up in the exam??
I only started revising hardcore today and I am panicking
I want an efficient way to revise

help me :frown:
Reply 299
Done every past paper, wrote notes for every topic and gone over the tricky stuff yet I still don't feel prepared.

Quick Reply