The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Hi, I am a year one PSI student. I received an email about the Ziggurat event : doubles table tennis competition on next Tuesday. I am interested in joining this activities. Do I need to form a team by myself? it requires to form a team by myself. I don't know is there any students in my school feel interested in joining this competition. So, what can I do? Thanks.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
UEA requires an interview this year for Accounting & Finance
Reply 862
Original post by kanicexx
Hi, I am a year one PSI student. I received an email about the Ziggurat event : doubles table tennis competition on next Tuesday. I am interested in joining this activities. Do I need to form a team by myself? it requires to form a team by myself. I don't know is there any students in my school feel interested in joining this competition. So, what can I do? Thanks.

Email back expressing your interest, the person who emailed will probably be collecting people to make a team.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
So, I've been accepted as an exchange student for the Spring Term (Yay), but waiting for accommodation details in order to apply for the student Visa. Website says best to apply early November as they allocate rooms on a first come first served basis, and those who have done this will be be notified last week of November-first week of December. I applied the first week of November and still nothing.

Possibly not the best place for an 'official' type answer, but does anyone have a clue when i'll be informed, or if I should e-mail the university and if this will either accomplish something or tick 'em off?
Visa applications tend to be messy and take a while, not to mention the holidays will muck up things. Worried about getting it on time to make the January flight across the pond!

(Long winded I know, but I never was one for abbreviations.)
Reply 864
Original post by Perspicuity
So, I've been accepted as an exchange student for the Spring Term (Yay), but waiting for accommodation details in order to apply for the student Visa. Website says best to apply early November as they allocate rooms on a first come first served basis, and those who have done this will be be notified last week of November-first week of December. I applied the first week of November and still nothing.

Possibly not the best place for an 'official' type answer, but does anyone have a clue when i'll be informed, or if I should e-mail the university and if this will either accomplish something or tick 'em off?
Visa applications tend to be messy and take a while, not to mention the holidays will muck up things. Worried about getting it on time to make the January flight across the pond!

(Long winded I know, but I never was one for abbreviations.)

Post in the accommodation thread (there's a works for uea rep there, you could pm them too) or email the accommodation office. I'm sure they'll be happy to help, not annoyed! You could also try phoning if you have any way to make a reasonably priced call, as they'll probably be busy with others emails on the same topic.

However you might want to wait till Thurs/Fri. I'm sure they won't be annoyed if you don't, but if you think your visa can wait till then it might be that they are planning to send it this week as that is still the first week of December.

Xxx

Thanks, think I will stick it out, nail-bite and cross fingers for the week.
Although, I finally got my 'Formal Acceptance' letter in the mail today and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence; it says to apply for accommodation, which is a bit redundant seeing as the deadline was four days ago. Blaming the delay on the postal system though, as i'm sure the university has their timelines correct seeing as it's so highly ranked international and student satisfaction-wise.
Reply 866
Original post by Perspicuity
Thanks, think I will stick it out, nail-bite and cross fingers for the week.
Although, I finally got my 'Formal Acceptance' letter in the mail today and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence; it says to apply for accommodation, which is a bit redundant seeing as the deadline was four days ago. Blaming the delay on the postal system though, as i'm sure the university has their timelines correct seeing as it's so highly ranked international and student satisfaction-wise.

Yeah, I also think post is kind is secondary now, they use mainly email and I guess they just send post still to keep people happy who feel like email is not permanent enough (I found it weird at first!).

Xxx

Hello, I have a question concerning the UEA Visit day. I was wondering whether a visa will be required to enter the UK for the Visit Day since I live in Switzerland.
Thank you!
Reply 868
Original post by The11thDoctor
Hello, I have a question concerning the UEA Visit day. I was wondering whether a visa will be required to enter the UK for the Visit Day since I live in Switzerland.
Thank you!

According to this

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/do-you-need-a-visa/

If you put visit and Switzerland then no you don't need one. It's weird cause I guess technically you're a prospective student, but that's not an option on the "do you need a visa" section, plus the prospective student section of the site seems to be aimed at people who plan to come and stay until they start study, asking about proof of income etc, which surely wouldn't be needed for a day visit? (if so that's ridiculous!)

I guess the way to be sure is to contact ukba, or hopefully someone on here who is Swiss will see this and post. If you don't have any luck contact UEA direct and ask for advice, they should have lots of experience with this.

Sorry I've realised this want actually much help lol. But definitely contact uea, they will help :smile:

Xxx

Original post by kpwxx
According to this

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/do-you-need-a-visa/

If you put visit and Switzerland then no you don't need one. It's weird cause I guess technically you're a prospective student, but that's not an option on the "do you need a visa" section, plus the prospective student section of the site seems to be aimed at people who plan to come and stay until they start study, asking about proof of income etc, which surely wouldn't be needed for a day visit? (if so that's ridiculous!)

I guess the way to be sure is to contact ukba, or hopefully someone on here who is Swiss will see this and post. If you don't have any luck contact UEA direct and ask for advice, they should have lots of experience with this.

Sorry I've realised this want actually much help lol. But definitely contact uea, they will help :smile:

Xxx

Thanks, Ill ask UEA about it! :smile:
Reply 870
I have a conditional offer from UEA and am likely to chose it as my firm choice on UCAS. I am not required to have an interview but I've been invited to a course-specific open day. I've already been to an open day to UEA with my school and once by myself on one of the official open days; do I really need to take another day out to attend the visit (the only visit days still available are on a school day) Will it affect my application in any way? Thanks.
Original post by Mozz
I have a conditional offer from UEA and am likely to chose it as my firm choice on UCAS. I am not required to have an interview but I've been invited to a course-specific open day. I've already been to an open day to UEA with my school and once by myself on one of the official open days; do I really need to take another day out to attend the visit (the only visit days still available are on a school day) Will it affect my application in any way? Thanks.

it certainly wont affect your application, its just a good chance to remind yourself about the uni. however if you've already been to two open days chances are you remember most things and anything else you can find out online. i didn't go to my course open day the second time i applied and it didnt affect my offer.
ANYONE! Doing Economics, please could I speak to you? What is it like the actual course, etc, We can speak through this or PM, just reply to this :biggrin: Thanks a lot!
Reply 873
Im currently in my last year and trying to see what im going to get overall for my degree, I know the weight of the degree is based on 2 and 3 year is this split equally? Also i did a year aboard in America will the grades i got out there hold much weight toward my overall degree? (or only if im on the boarder of a mark)?
Reply 874
[INDENT] Im currently in my last year and trying to see what im going to get overall for my degree, I know the weight of the degree is based on 2 and 3 year is this split equally? Also i did a year aboard in America will the grades i got out there hold much weight toward my overall degree? (or only if im on the boarder of a mark)?
[/INDENT]
Reply 875
Original post by sue-123
[INDENT] Im currently in my last year and trying to see what im going to get overall for my degree, I know the weight of the degree is based on 2 and 3 year is this split equally? Also i did a year aboard in America will the grades i got out there hold much weight toward my overall degree? (or only if im on the boarder of a mark)?
[/INDENT]

Have a look in your course handbook (search uea website). It depends on the course. Side are weighted 40 60 last two years, others 50 50 etc. Though I don't think the first year counts in any (may be wrong!). Anyway the course handbook should say.

Xxx

I know students in Env year 3 and below are 60:40, so I would guess this is a UEA wide thing and yours is 60:40 too, ask you adviser though, they should know. Your year abroad doesn't count towards your degree in any way. You should be able to go to your hub and ask them to print you off a module breakdown with your grades on or look on e:Vision, from that you can calculate how you are doing!

Some students can be called for Aviva, an interview with the School should their final grade lie within 2% of a grade boundary, not sure if this is just a SCI thing or UEA wide. This is down to the School's discretion, they might do this if you have show significant improvement in your final year. At this interview they ask about your dissertation, general degree, final year modules, year abroad mark etc. Only a small percentage of students go through this process though so don't worry about it.
[QUOTE=smile_wars;41339074]I know students in Env year 3 and below are 60:40, so I would guess this is a UEA wide thing and yours is 60:40 too, ask you adviser though, they should know. Your year abroad doesn't count towards your degree in any way. You should be able to go to your hub and ask them to print you off a module breakdown with your grades on or look on e:Vision, from that you can calculate how you are doing!

Some students can be called for Aviva, an interview with the School should their final grade lie within 2% of a grade boundary, not sure if this is just a SCI thing or UEA wide. This is down to the School's discretion, they might do this if you have show significant improvement in your final year. At this interview they ask about your dissertation, general degree, final year modules, year abroad mark etc. Only a small percentage of students go through this process though so don't worry about it.

It's not- they are bringing in the 60:40 thing for students who start this September, but most students on Arts courses its 50:50
Also, is wifi now available in accommodation? This must be the only uni I know that doesn't have wifi in the halls, it's 2013 people!

Can any current students do a speed test? :colondollar:

http://speedtest.net/
no wifi in halls. but theres wifi in the library and everywhere else. its not really a problem as people in your flat who have macs can set them up as wifi hotspots. the uni have said that they're looking into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending